Desean Jackson suffers "severe concussion", memory loss

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by 624, Oct 17, 2010.

1. 624

624 Banned

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...n-collision-with-robinson?module=HP_headlines

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgyXVtihsA[/YOUTUBE]

Like Simms said, I don't know how they'd do it, but the league really needs to do something about helmet to helmet hits.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

to me it isnt dead on helmet to helmet. Robinson leads with his head, but it seems to me the top of his helmet catches jackson square on the jaw. as you can see robinson is knocked into next week as well. hopefully jacksons brains are not so scrambled he can't return to the field. anything like this scares so many people its terrible.

but Simms is correct, helmet to helmet hits need to be cracked down on.

But if you crack down in the wrong way, stuff like the hit leonhard had today will be getting flagged all the time...

3. basketballjones72

basketballjones72 New Member

Neon Deon on NFL.com states it was a clean hit.... I kinda agree, it looks like he was trying to get him on the shoulder. You jump at somebody and try to hit them exactly on the shoulder and see what happens.

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Obviously it wasn't an intentional dirty hit but hits like those can cause serious health problems. I'd be surprised if Chrebet is not in a whole lot of problems in another ten years, mainly because of all the hits to the head he took.

5. IATA

IATA Trolls

Andy Reid will have him back out there Tuesday doing FC drills.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think the biggest hit wasn't when the CB hit Jackson but when the back of Jackson's helmet hit the ground.

Robinson's hit was hard and borderline but legal...

7. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

It looked to me like Robinson could have checked up.
    At the last moment, he ducked his head and lead with his helmet.

The League should make leading with the helmet an automatic 2 game suspension.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That was absolutely brutal. Hope Jackson is ok. It seems to me like Robinson was attempting to hit with his shoulder but landed with his facemask as well because of the angle and the speed.

9. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

The entire point is to not "jump at somebody". That shit is not tackling, that is called head hunting because once you leave your feet to hit someone, you also lose control of where you hit them.

Whatever happened to a good, clean low form tackle, using the arms to disrupt the ball?

I just replayed this nasty hit 4x, and Robinson did not even remotely try to lower his body to waist level or wrap his arms around Jackson. He led with his body high, head tilted down and forearms in. That is flat out dangerous going full speed. He is lucky he didn't break his own neck.

#9 concussion80, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's my position on it as well. the game should be about tackling, not hitting.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

Good post.
    When I played High School football, we were taught to put our shoulder pads into the ball carriers thigh pads or midsection and wrap our arms around him and keep digging with our legs.

These guys launch themselves helmet first into the receivers.
    These type of hits not only cause concussions, but also cause spinal chord injuries.

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I played both football and rugby and the reason rugby is a less dangerous game than NFL is the lack of pads and hits like this. It's also a lateral game rather than vertical but the difference is the rules for tackling. In rugby Union rules, you have to wrap when you bring the ball carrier down, you can't plow in leading with your shoulder or forearms and knock them down that way.

Rugby League is a bit different, more violent, they allow more padding and some forearm shiver type hits, you don't always have to wrap. But the side effect of this is "rugby league" playing careers don't last nearly as long as "rugby union".

I think the NFL needs to enforce a cleaner style of tackling and make sure it is taught throughout football, down to the pee wee level. This lack of form tackling is crazy.

13. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

There's a debate going on both team's message boards. Of course one team is calling for a fine because they think it was a cheap shot. The other fans are saying it's a legal but hard hit.

Obviously you are not supposed to just step to the side and let the receiver run in for the score. But DANG!!!!!

14. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

If you watch Revis, he is a terrific form tackler, while at the same time, delivering the jarring blow. I am all for big hits, but there is a huge difference between when it's done correctly and when it's done haphazardly.

15. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I think that Robinson hit was flat out dirty. He had a myriad of options to bring down Jackson on that play but he chose to fling himself in a really reckless manner that could have gotten one or both paralyzed. Fucking idiotic is what it was.

16. The Great American

I would disagree with you if all I watched was full speed. At slo-mo you might have an argument even though Robinson is not known as a dirty player. Hard hitter? Yes.

17. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Arms out and around, head to the side gets the same job done without putting both players at considerable risk. It's not the velocity of the hit that's the real problem..it's the form.

18. The Great American

On a side note ... I saw a pretty cool thing at a high school football game last friday. An opposing player was injured and all the home team players took a knee. This included the players on the field at the time and those on the sidelines. I thought it was a great show of respect.

19. GreenMachine

How is that cool? that happens all the time.

And your Falcons got smoked.

20. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This is what I keep saying about the hit. It's sad for Jackson what the aftermath was, but I think a lot of commentators are losing sight of what ACTUALLY happened between him and Robinson.