Stop Blitzing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pluvrr, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I noticed this during the Pats game too. We adjusted I think because Revis left the game and by golly it worked.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's costing the Jets in the sense that it allows other teams back in the game, the only reason the Vikes had a chance last night was because they picked up the blitz and burned us twice, which by the way they knew was coming, if we mix up the coverage once in a while and maybe send 5 as opposed to 7 when the opposition has 3rd and long, it may actually catch the other team by surprise when we do send the house.

3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

it seems like more often then not, when we blitz the house on third and long, we get burned, or like in the game vs. Baltimore, we got called for pass interference/defensive holding...we need to mix it up and not be predictable...teams w/reasonably good offensive lines (and you can be sure most teams in the playoffs will have above avg o-lines) are able to block effectively and then make a high percentage throw for the first down.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

The candle that burns twice as bright, lasts half as long. I think that's what keeps happening to us on 3rd down. The constant blitzing works on 1st and 2nd down, but when you're constantly blitzing on 3rd down, the offense realizes that they can get away with a big play. Towards the end of the game last night, we started to run a few more "fake" blitzes and that saved us a few times.

5. DustinK

DustinK New Member

He doesn't blitz every third and long. A lot of his 3rd and long "blitzes" are a 3 man rush with a DB or a LB coming from an unpredictable side or an overload. You guys are blind

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

True Story:

I just burned the roof of my mouth eating pizza. I am never eating pizza again.

7. TheJetChase

TheJetChase Member

I completely agree. It didn't work the first time and didn't work the second time. We need to change it up a little bit. Not stop blitzing on 3rd and long entirely but every now and then play zone. Also, blitzing on 3rd and 17 and 3rd and 19 is ridiculous. Playing zone would most likely keep them from gaining 19+ yards or in this case, 2 touchdowns.

8. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Try stuffing it into your ears next time. And be sure to let all the cheese drip onto your keyboard. That way, when you do some typing and suck on your thumb, you get that wondeful aftertaste too.

9. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

lol I think I have a new sig quote...

11. nycgoons

nycgoons New Member

Rex just needs Revis to get healthy 100% and you will be aching for the 3rd and longs. but seriously when the jets get a sack or a pass deflect, do you enjoy what you just watched?

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow..might as well tell Ryan to stop breathing.

13. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Something they've never seen before? They see it every 3rd and long, and it is no longer the "known disaster" that it used to be. There is no reason for a team to let up a first on 3rd and 15+, especially on multiple occasions. The odds of the offense getting a first if you drop most guys in coverage in a situation like that is very low.

14. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Jets vs Fish Week 3. Final play of the game, Jets rush 3 and get a pick by Drew Coleman to end the game. The third down prior to that play, the Jets played it the same way and the Fish got the first. No blitz and they still got it.

Guess what though, the Jets won the game.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

This year we have a bend but not break defense.

While last year we had a very good defense that often broke-down in key moments.

I'd rather take what we have this year.

16. Big Papi

Big Papi New Member

I agree, we should go to a quarter or cover 4 type of defense!

We need to get off the damn field on 3rd & forever.

If we are such a good defense why cant we defend that type of Play?

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree completely - I listened to the game on the radio and on the 3rd and 19 touchdown play by the Vikings, Boomer Esiason (I think it was Boomer commenting on the game) couldn't believe the Jets were sending an all out blitz. At that point in the game, the goal is to stop the Vikings and get the ball back, not to try and force a turnover. The chances were very small of the Vikings getting a 1st down on that play if the Jets played it more conservatively.

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I really think Pace can be great. On pace for 10 or 11 sacks last year if he didn't miss time, and already got 1.5 sacks and still, to me, looked pretty rusty with his cuts and aggressiveness. When healthy, Pace can be a 12 sack a year guy, in my opinion, especially in this system.

19. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

Blitzing has been good and bad. Sometimes we blitz and we get burned for a td.......other times we blitz and return an interception for a touchdown to close out the game. Get over it guys we are going to live and die by the blitz. Thats who we are. When Revis is back to 100% we will get burned a lot less. Rex Ryan is not going to stop blitzing.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

FWIW...Lowery's pic6 was created (or at least aided) by Marquis Cole's delayed blitz IMO.

Still...I'd like to see us mix it up a bit. Forcing Favre into making mistakes isn't all that hard. Just ask Jenn Sterger.
    Peyton Manning is a different story.