Chad Henne vs Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zor, Dec 14, 2009.

1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

And helmet foam.

2. 624

624 Banned

Still having a hard time with this question.

3. 624

624 Banned

I call hornet.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Chad Henne did have a few nice throws to Ninkovich and Chung tonight, though. Gotta give him credit for that!

I think it's safe to say Sanchez is more advanced in his 2nd season than Henne is in his 3rd.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Nice!!

A junior slump! 2-6 is in their future.

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I cannot believe this guy shredded our pass D for 300+ yards and 2 TDs. A week after our D dominating the Pats O in the second half no less.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8&p=AE521A2A02A4D4E0&playnext=1&index=27[/YOUTUBE]

Never gets old...

8. Clown

Clown New Member

lol... in henne's press conference he said the loss was on "his shoulders", which is something mark sanchez would say.... in the 2009 - 2010 season. He knows in this loss he lost the battle against sanchez. He must have purchesed a jets DVD from last season and watched it a million times to get press conference tips... poor guy.

Its funny though cause i dont think sanchez considers him competition or even thinks about this moron.... but henne sure does.

9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I don't think we should sleep on Henne. He had a bad game tonite, but the kid can play in this league. He's thrown for over 300 yards a number of times already, in fewer starts than Sanchez ... and he was killing us last week to the point where it was getting embarrassing. We've played him 3 times ... we stopped him once, and he shreaded us twice.

I'm not gonna be like those Finheaven posters who talk all this shit about how Sanchez can't play and wind up sounding like morons. QB is one position they have right over there.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad Henne's a decent QB. He's not a great one and he is unlikely to be great in the NFL. Getting a lot of throws will push your numbers up, both good and bad. The Dolphins would have been better off (much) if they had thrown the ball less against us and run more. They definitely would have been better off throwing less tonight and running more against the Patriots.

The upside for Henne is that he might be Jay Cutler redux. Jay Cutler puts up great numbers as well but they are almost incidental to the wins that happen and his teams generally fall apart at some point because he's not a great QB who can march down the field at will and yet his teams feed him attempts as if he is.

Mark Sanchez on the other hand is a different kind of QB. He's younger than Henne and has gotten a lot more experience than him at the same age. When Henne was 23 he threw 12 passes in the NFL. Sanchez is still 23 and has thrown 467 over the last 20 games. That's an enormous difference in game experience at the same level. By the time Sanchez turns 25 he'll have thrown more than 1,000 passes. Very few QB's in history have done that.

Sanchez is also being groomed in a very different way than Henne is. The Jets are almost a throwback organization at this point to the 70's and 80's. They run much more often than they pass and they setup the pass with the run. There's no expectation on the team that Sanchez is going to be a 4,000 yard passer. Nobody wants that because Rex Ryan doesn't believe that you win that way when you get to crunch time. He believes you win with a clock-controlling offense and a stifling defense. That's what Mark Sanchez is being groomed for - to be a manager with the gambler's heart to strike quickly when the opportunity arises. It's a vintage Pittsburgh Steelers or Miami Dolphins or Dallas Cowboys or Washington Redskins approach, and all of those teams won big once they found a QB who could play the role.

I went looking for comps for Sanchez on those teams figuring that I could find one or two of those QB's that would compare well to him and give me a guideline of where he might go in the future. The problem? Sanchez is much better than the QB's on those teams at the same age, and was last year also. Also, those teams generally had a 26-29 year old playing the lead role at the time they finally clicked.

We've got something really special here in Sanchez. Probably not Dan Marino gonna pass for 5k yards special. Probably not Peyton Manning gonna build the offense around him special. In fact it's hard to determine exactly what his upside potential is because so few players have been handed so much at such a young age and grabbed it fairly quickly and run with it. The shape of Mark Sanchez career is completely fluid at this point, capable of going in many different directions but likely to be extraordinary wherever it winds up.

He could be one of the best game manager's ever, with the gambler's heart that so many game managers lack. He could be a 35+ throw a game guy with the quick striking offense that implies, however unlikely it seems that Ryan would do this. He could be something completely new that we haven't really seen before. The comps for him are hard to find at this point, mainly because his second season at age 23 has started so remarkably and in such a strange shape.

11. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

his foreheadskin got in the way

12. david1023

david1023 Member

Great post, unfortunately it will get buried in this thread as the debate is sure to heat up as the season progresses. Henne had a bad game. That team, all across the board, had a bad game.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I've always sat and thought of who he reminds me of, and I'm going to guess here - but perhaps Bart Starr? Known as a game manager but was very capable of a quick down the field strike when it was needed. Had a talented TE too.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Great post! Just from the small sample we have this year I can say that Mark is a winner. He does what's asked of him and when given the opportunity to really throw it he does it well.

So far Sanchez has proven that he steps up and wins games. Even in game 2 this year, it felt like a must win because of all the hype and Sanchez played one of the best games of his career.
    He already has rookie QB playoff records, I hope he sets some sophomore records too.

15. -AK-JETSFAN

-AK-JETSFAN New Member

He will break a record, I just know it. If anything, I bet he can win the jets 2 super bowls in his entire career.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think that's Rex and Marks ceiling too. Parcells-Simms is what I compare them to in terms of SB wins. Sanchez will play both SBs though.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The first guys I homed to when I was looking at this were Bob Griese and Roger Staubach. Both of them were asked to manage a diverse offense that was definitely run first and then pass. Both of them had very good seasons when they were handed the controls. The problem is that both of them were 26+ when they became really good. Griese had been the Dolphins QB for 3 seasons before Don Shula showed up and changed everything around. Staubach was in the Navy for years and Tom Landry didn't hand him the team for good until he was 29! So neither of them are good comps although they ran offenses much like the one the Jets have and they ran them really well.

Then I went looking at Joe Montana (kind of wistfully, you know nose to the pane, steaming things up as I stared at the best pastry in town) and that got shot down immediately because Montana was playing for one of the most innovative offensive coaches ever to play the game. There's almost no way that Mark Sanchez developes into a Joe Montana, even if he had all that magic which is doubtful, because Rex Ryan is going to mold his QB so differently than Bill Walsh did.

Terry Bradshaw took several years to get it going (46 Int's in 24 starts). Bart Starr arrived on a really bad team and was 27 before things came together. Same for Len Dawson.

There really aren't particularly good comps out there. Sanchez is unique both in skill sets and in opportunity. I even looked at Boomer Esiason, who was playing for Sam Wyche, another excellent offensive mind, but the problem there is that Boomer just wasn't the kind of prospect that Sanchez is. He was a great QB, but he was more of a thrower in the style of Peyton Manning than a manager in the style that Sanchez is being pushed towards and he was a second round pick not a top 5 guy.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Even Big Ben was 24 when he started and wasn't given free range until his 3rd year, and he was 26. I find him the most similar to Sanchez in this era, because he managed the SB win in his 2nd year, albeit being 25 and he was horrible in the big game.

He then was given the opportunity to pass over 300 times in his 3rd year. Threw 23 INTs that year, but then had a great 4th year with 32 TDs. The only problem is that the Steelers got away from the run when that happened, and changed their philosophy enough to make the comparison not as strong.

No one has been in this situation. A game manager younger than 23 who can get it done. Josh Freeman started at 21 last season, but he isn't ready to be compared yet.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

As much as it pains me, as a Michigan fan and a JETS fan...
    Henne is an above avg. QB
    He has all the tools you can ask and moves well in the pocket for someone his size..

The DOLLS also have Long who I wanted bad...but he was way up there.
    Then one of my fav. Non-JETS players, Dansby signs w/ them...Fuk man.

lol, But yeh.
    Hating the DOLLS is one thing saying a player sux just because he's in Miama is another....

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Henne is a good QB, but he doesn't do anything that makes me believe he's a dynamic QB. He'll have a 10+ year career, but I don't see anything truly special. I think he'll have a career similar to pennington in terms of how far he goes into the playoffs.

He'll give the Jets fits his entire career. Dansby has solidified that defense, they do need a few more weapons though.