Braylon Edwards Future ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

In all seriousness he is a tall receiver. I know it's a joke here but since we finally started using his height this past week I'd love to see him stay for the right price.

He's definitely missing some NFL time whether it be from violating his probation set in Cleveland or from a NFL suspension.

Just like Plax made Eli look better, Mark can throw the ball up like on that 2 point conversion and let Braylon get up and grab it.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Just by watching Hard Knocks, you can see the impact Holmes has with his teammates, he's learned his lesson and I think once his suspension is up, he'll be a big boost to this team

At the end of the day Peter King is right, Holmes is the better WR, if he produces he's first in line (after Harris, Cro) for a new contract ... Maybe Braylon will take a discount for being such a douche

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'd imagine he'd get a contract with a ton of incentives to stay out of trouble.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How many guys can you pay like a star? 8? Maybe 10 at the outside?

So the Jets have Sanchez, Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Scott, Gholston (will likely be gone after this season), Pace and Jenkins (will also likely be gone at the end of the season) paid at that level now.

They have Harris, Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie and Ellis (and they will have to resign Ellis unless they suddenly find another good defensive end) coming up as issues next spring.

That's too many players to have to pay at once under any kind of likely cap. The Jets will have to make very hard decisions on all of these guys under a fairly constrained budget.

That makes any volunteer effort that a player makes to get himself out of town a blessing. Edwards likely just sent himself packing, right after making a case for staying against the Pats, although a mixed case.

My best guess is that Edwards is gone and Cromartie is gone (can't pay 3 cornerbacks and unless Wilson flops there's just no cap space for a big deal for Cro). Then the choices become really hard. Lose David Harris or franchise him? Sign Ellis to a big 3 year deal, knowing that his performance peaks in contract years and valleys the year after? Let him go to the Pats or Dolphins? And yes both teams will be interested if he hits the open market.

Edwards made one of the choices easy. Hopefully Holmes saw what just happened and keeps his nose clean.

#64 Br4d, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I said the same thing in the other Edwards thread.

Once he catches another TD the issue will be dead.

6. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Holmes likes to smoke weed. Big deal. Most NFL players do. They just know how to beat the tests.

I don't know how that makes holmes a "character issue " player. He obviously is a team first guy and a leader

7. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

I have a feeling that Ellis is likely gone after this year along with Jenkins (who should just retire and preserve the ability to walk). I like Ellis a lot, but his advancing years and salary requirements will likely make him a cap casualty. I have a feeling Gholston/DeVito will end up taking most of the DE duties in future seasons with draftees rounding out the front 3 (with Pouha at NT/DT) with Gholston likely having to take a pay cut. I also think the Jets will make a concerted effort to sign Cro and Holmes (depending on how he plays). Harris is the tough one. I love the guy and want the Jets to resign him, but he may be too expensive and with Pace, Scott, and Thomas (also maybe Taylor) already signed, he may be the odd man out. Which would be a big loss.
    I agree that Edwards may have just blown his chance at a lucrative extension, although he may resign (if no one else wants him) at a discount.

8. Br4d

The Steelers gave him away for a 5th round pick just a few seasons after drafting him #1. They probably make fewer personnel mistakes than any other team in the NFL. Holmes may be one of them but I want to see him be an upright citizen for a season or two before I draw that conclusion.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, F the media. I laugh when these bloviating morons start pontificating on tv no matter what they are talking about. When it's the Jets I just laugh harder.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ellis is playing graat had has been largely free of injury. Don't equate him with Jenkins.

11. Br4d

I'm just completely torn on him at this point. He's one of the best 3-4 ends in the league when he's on top of his game and yet I wonder what his declining years will be like given that he can go into funks at times, especially right after he's been paid.

Having him go to the Pats or Fins would be a disaster. That would be like handing them our defensive playbook given that Ellis has been in both Jet's 3-4's and is a very smart guy. Both of those coaching staffs are smart enough to take that info and absolutely wreck us somewhere down the road, not to mention if Ellis is motivated he's one of the best runstoppers in the NFL.

12. Bl33D GR33N

Bl33D GR33N New Member

Ellis is a work horse like T-Rich. I think he'd take a pay cut for the team because he's a mean green machine. Ellis will be a Jet for the next 2-3 years

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fix that for you bro :up:

#73 101GangGreen101, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  14. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

If we don't resign him and he leaves as a FA, would we get a compensatory pick for him even though we traded for him? If we get a 3rd round comp back for him, I'd still say it was a great move for the Jets to trade for him.

15. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

I see a lot of cabs in his future.

16. jets_fan_in_fishtown

well...for one, no one knows definitively because we don't know what the CBA looks like, but traditionally no...if your player is an UFA, you don't get anything.

you can tender a player though if they're a RFA and then whichever team picks them up would be subject to giving up the picks i believe.

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think it's time to shave the beard, the cop smelled alcohol and that beard probably had half of Braylon's dribble and missed sips in it.

18. Tenn_JetsFanatic

I think if he's cheap enough, we should keep him.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The rumor is that Braylon wasn't drunk, but the Beard's BAC was .16

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

He wasn't double fisting in that photo from the poker event. one for him, one for the beard