The Defense Wasn't Great Last Night

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ejb911

ejb911 New Member

it wasnt the defense that ran out of bounds at the end of the game 1 yard before the first down marker to end it... the defense put us in position to score plenty of times.. the offense is WAY to conservative

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Hahahaha... this is beautiful stuff. Classic 3rdAnd15.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

people are bashing Junc because by his logic the defense costs you every game if they simply give up more points than the offense scores. seems to be a ridiculous criteria. when the D gives up only 10 points, you have to say good job regardless of how many yards or first downs they give up.

Junc's argument depends on the ridiculous standard that the D has to completely shut down the opponent or else a loss is their fault.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The difference is I give the O a share of the blame as well, you and most on here are blaming the O for everything when the D deserves a huge chunk of the blame.

It's not just about points. Remember 2003? We had an awful, awful defense that year yet we were top 10 in points allowed. The problem was the D could never get off the field, yeah we bent but didn't often break much like last night but the inability to get off the field will hurt an offense. Everything isn't always black and white, b/c we only allowed 10 points doesn't mean our D was great b/c obviously our D was not great last night.

5. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

If the offense could have scored 11 points, we would have won.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

What part of your thread title "The Defense Cost us the Game" suggests the offense takes part of the blame? That title says the defense is the reason we lost, period.

7. nyjunc

There's nothing outrageous or shocking about the headline. I don't expect everyone to get it, to the average person they see 10 pts allowed and that our O was horrible and they think the D was great. That is simple minded thinking, the game is not that simple. The D did some nice things but not being able to get off the field killed.

8. nyjunc

Why post if if all people do is read the headline?

Actually that helps prove my point. Most fans "read the headline" and not the post, what i mean by this is they see 10 points allowed and ssume the D was great rather than digging depper and understanding the flow of the game and what actually happened so stop just reading headlines and actually read the posts.

9. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

And I disgaree that they cost us the game, they didn't. It was an all around total failure by this team outside of a few guys.

It's just like the 2nd Dolphin game last year, we outplayed them on offense and defense but by outplaying us on ST they won the game. Last night we were world beaters on 1st and 2nd down but people forget you have to play 3rd down. When a team converts 3rd and longs the way they did last night it was far from an elite performance by our D. There was certainly some help on a few occasions last night from guys in black and white but there wasn't much of an adjustment made to the way they were calling it either.

I'm sorry but when you have a team backed up inside the 5 three times you have to shut them down and instead the Ravens got at least 1 first down on 2 of the 3 and moved it pretty well on 1.

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

What percentage of blame are you giving to the defense then? Spell it out Herm-style.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Heap made a bad read on it, the ball was there and Wilson was beat, if Heap makes a better read it's a TD.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

Why make a headline to grab attention if that's not your actual point? Is your point that the defense wasn't great or that the defense cost us the game?

Which is it junc?

You're really backpedaling quickly here. Not many people think the D was great last night.

13. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

They gotta get some... Ravens set a team record for 3rd down conversions last night...

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

LOL. You really are just trolling. The O was horrible and the D was great, period. If you didn't see that, you weren't paying attention, or you are just here to argue.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

That's irrelevant. You could say if our d-backs made a better read on some plays their wouldn't have been pass interference or they would have had INT's.

What happened was Wilson broke up the pass.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Stupid penalties and a few 3rd down brain farts aside, I have never seen a Jets D play like that. If the O had played with 10% of the intensity we would have wiped the floor with them.

17. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The problem is the Offense can never stay on the field. The defense gets tired and starts making stupid mistakes. They gave up ten points to a Superbowl contender at home. That should win all games for this team that is built to win now.

18. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

defence could have been better but the offence clearly cost the win. Also keep in mind, the more offensive time you have, the less defence you need to put up. Every team in the league will take 10 pts allowed

19. nyjunc

40% D
    30% O
    30% Coaching

It's part of my point, read the post and you get the full point.

Where did I backpedal? Please show me?

You don't know what great defense looks like if you think our D played great.

The problem is our D cannot get off the field and once on the field our O cannot stay on the field. being that the D is our dominant unit on the team they are held to a higher standard and they need to get off the field. We don't have a quick strike, high powered O and when our opponent has the ball for 38 1/2 mins we will not have a great shot to win.

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I can't believe i'm still arguing about this. If the offense can't score more than 10 points that is the issue that needs to be looked at.