Why was Revis on the #3 receiver?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kmj6z, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Kenny

Kenny New Member

He covered who was on his side. Mason abused Cromartie more then Boldin did. Boldin killed wilson in the slot. Mason was killing Cromartie with double moves and such.

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

That's a good strategy. But when it wasn't working, we should have moved Revis to #1. I was so fucking pissed off at Ryan for this (first time actually). A rusty Revis > any Rookie corner.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

You are talking about Revis, not Aso. Revis plays the entire field, even the slot. It wasn't a matter of covering whoever was on his side.

4. Kenny

Kenny New Member

The design was not for Revis to cover the #3. He covered Boldin quite a bit but they didnt throw him the ball. Boldin caught those passes in the slot I think all of em.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Cotchery dropped two passes that could have been first downs. Greene dropped one that could have turned a 3rd and 4 situation into a 3rd and 1 situation or even a first down. Keller dropped two passes himself plus the last play where he didn't even try. You are in the damn NFL. You need to know where the fucking first down line is on 4th down plays. Don't blame it on the marker guy. Run two three yards beyond the line especially when its not a timing route anymore. These 5 drops killed 5 drives. You would imagine if we get 5 drives back, we score on one of them. That was the difference in the game...besides the freaking penalties.

6. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

Revis is out of shape. He's not covering a #1 an entire game. I was shocked actually he played every defensive snap (I believe). This is even more shocking considering how long the defense was actually out there tonight.

Revis won't be in complete form until around mid-season. He'll still be really good, but unlike others who might be rusty for the first game or two, it'll take him a little bit longer to get his legs under him.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

How can you defend this? Revis covered EVERY #1 last year on almost every play. He followed the WRs even in the slot. This one is on Rex.

8. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Well yeah, but I think the Jets felt like when they played San Diego flacco would spread it around. You will see this week him following Moss..

Rex said on the Michael Kay show there will be games he will follow the #1, Mason been Flaccos go to guy, Housh been a pro bowler, Heap is good, Rice is great. Boldin wasn't the only guy.

9. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Btw I think Mason is a worse matchup for Cromartie then Boldin. Cro can't handle double moves and great route runners.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If thats the case, we wouldn't have paid him $16 mil for 8 games. Revis will be in shape by next game. He was out for 35 days. He kept himself in shape during that time span. Revis probably wasn't 100%, but I would say he was 80%. He should be 90-95% next wk and all go in wk 3.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

But Boldin was their #1 guy by some distance. Mason has double moves and runs good routes even at age 36, but he doesn't have ideal speed needed to get seperation at his age. Cromartie had good coverage on most of his plays but his timing was off and couldn't figure out when the ball was reaching the WRs (Boldin and Housh). Revis would have been ideal.

12. SuppaMan

SuppaMan New Member

There's a difference between being in shape and actually being in "football" shape.

The same thing applies to anything you do. (ex: I can go to the rink and skate all I want, but I won't be in real hockey shape, it's completely different practicing/scrimmaging/playing exhibition games).

You can be in great physical condition, but you can't replicate the practice of actually doing something on a certain level, without practicing doing it on a certain level.

Obviously great players like Revis are able to still play at high level when they miss camp and practice, but it still keeps them behind their normal curve.

It's not something just made up. It's hard to understand unless you've played a sport, especially at a higher level.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

With the way our offense played tonight, I'm not entirely sure I would necessarily agree with the bolded, but I completely agree with your fundamental point.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Mason is the #2. Houshmanzada or w/e the fuck his name is, is the #3. No matter who revis covers there gonna be shut down.

15. i82much

i82much New Member

Ravens #1 was whoever Revis wasn't covering out of Mason and Boldin.