Sanchez v2.0 Has Critical Bug

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I think some of you are making more of his checking down last night than needs to be. If we keep seeing this trend against lesser defenses than I will agree there is a checkdown disease eating at Sanchez. However, he played against one of the toughest NFL defenses last night. If every big play we had on offense wasn't called back for a freaking penalty then things may have shook loose last night.

I remember one part in the game where the announcer was bitching about the quick checkdown... and I remember the very next play where he tried to hold on to the ball for longer than 2 seconds and got ran over hard. The Ravens were bringing as much heat as the Jets D tried to bring last night. Any QB would have had a tough time playing against that.

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

That's fukkin Schotty trying to be cute and show how smart his offense can be. I am hoping Rex ass-kicks him around the training complex this week and gets him back on track to smash mouth football. That is how we are supposed to be playing.. smashing the ball down field.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter who we played against, he was checking down too quickly. And ftr that secondary is decimated with injuries right now. Sure he had some pressure, but he had enough time for the most part.

4. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Well, let's not get crazy here.

Seems like I've spent a full decade wanting to punch the Jets offensive coordinator in the throat. It's tiring.

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Like it is always said of USC QB's,Sanchez=Deer in the headlights.

6. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

This thread is funny, because if Sanchez had thrown the ball down the field and got intercepted, you'd be saying the exact opposite that he needs to be more conservative.

I agree with Jetzz that our gameplan for the night was to be conservative and not throw interceptions. Although Sanchez didn't have a great night, its a still (somewhat) of a confidence boost that he didn't throw a pick against one of the best defenses in the NFL, and now he can move forward and try to progress as the season goes on.

Take away Braylon lining up offsides and getting a b.s. running into the kicker call (Cundiff stepped on his foot) this is a completely different game.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You can't throw the long ball when you can't give your receivers time to get down field and get open... cause you can't throw the long ball when you are lying on your back. :lol:

8. WhiteShoeWillis

I hate this half assed argument that people love to throw out there.

I can assure you that even if he threw down field and threw 9 INT's I wouldn't have been begging for what happened last night. There is a middle ground and they need to find it very quickly.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm not even really concerned with the long ball. How about 10-15 yards down field?

And he had time most of last night. One of the kids best attributes is moving around and buying time too.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

A correctable problem, yes. But the big question is, how soon? This is something that's been brewing all spring, IMO. Look at the preseason games... the offense was curiously sputtering even then. No noticable correction since then. Now we have Week Two and the Pats. Are you going to fix this in 5 days? No. This is the dilemma the coaches face. Tell Nacho to open it up and you get INTs. Tell Nacho to check down and you get no chains moving and 9 total points.

Trouble is, here we are in Week Two. 9 points won't win the game against the Pats. Brady and The Little Weasel are going to move their chains and put up points. Week Three after that: Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams moving their chains. Week 4 after that, another Division opponent in hostile Buffalo.

So now, three quick games (here before you know it) against divisional rivals and we're just now trying to figure out how to get our QB to move the chains. But this was all predictable, IMHO. Expectations were ridiculously high this year... laughingly so. All the Hard Knocks bullshit... a HC that is talking SB constantly... ridiculous. We're on the verge of becoming the laughing stock of the NFL because of all the ridiculous SuperBowl talk. And you've got a QB who bought into it. "Don't turn the ball over son, and we'll win games." Fucking ridiculous.

11. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

Im not saying you would have wanted what we say last night, but you certainly would be bashing them for taking too many deep shots and a need to check down.

And I agree that we needed to take more deep shots, but everytime we tried either our receivers were covered or Sanchez was under too much pressure. The Ravens have a sick defense and everyone is completely underplaying that fact, especially considering we are trying to break in a new LG.

12. Blanda

Blanda New Member

Jets not Impressive

OK, I watched the same game here. I am totally neutral. #1 Sanchez will never bring you a super bowl, he is a Tony Romo, looked like a scared rabbit... He already is showing his limp when he was sacked last night, his knee is not 100%.
    The Jets defense is good right now, not great, but there are some aging guys who have lost a step or 2 and that will NOT carry you very deep into the season. Spent too much money on aging players, throw in a few losses and Revis will be demanding a trade soon enough. Ryan is no Bill Parcells, SORRY! You must have youth and speed to beat the best nowadays. You Jets fans won't like this but the reality is both N.E. and Miami have better youthful defenses and will maintain their positions in the league for a number of years. I would give N.E. the edge here if they can keep it together. From what I viewed Sunday N.E. has a high powered offense and just will basically outscore you 20-1, but they will give up a bunch too. N.E. 42- Jets 31. N.E. opening game was impressive against Cincy , the rookies showed great burst speed and say what you want about Belichick, he is still a great defensive coach, better than Ryan. Too many aging defensive and offensive players on the Jets, Miami will also wear you down. Henne is Miami's downfall, he just has good and bad days but will rise up on occasion to have a stellar game. Tom Brady has that look in his eye, he wants to win another one and he has the explosive offense like the Colts had the last few years.....

13. WhiteShoeWillis

Well of course if he went Don Coryell I would have had a problem with it. The lack of deep shots isn't the problem, it's that we weren't even throwing 10-15 yards down field because the insta-check downs.

There wasn't too much pressure to throw some quick slants, 8-12 yard ins/outs/hitches. We weren't playing the '85 Bears.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Not with Sanchez you won't. The kid is a thinker, a planner, a community organizer (with his receivers, etc.) and a deliberate kind of guy. Not knocking him, he's just very young and working his best route to try to be successful.

Now the mental route he's been taking all summer has suddenly let him down and he needs to go back to the drawing board in his mind. He'll do that, but we'll be well into the season, I'm afraid, by the time he gets the mental confidence back to fix this.

15. CP+SM=TD

CP+SM=TD New Member

Well now your just saying exactly what Ray Lewis knew. He knew that Sanchez likes those routes and their defense played accordingly. They covered those routes and dared Sanchez to go deep or check down.

16. Section 227. Row 5

This is completely true. I was there last night and Sanchez had very little to work with. It had to be incredibly frustrating for him.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

I don't care how good your defense is, they cannot cover everything every play. Let's not forget how banged up that secondary is either. I'm sure there were intermediate completions to be had. There was an obvious problem of premature check downs.

c'mon man, let's not go all dolphin fan jr. psychiatrist now.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Undoubtedly. Don't talk tough and then go out and play like a bunch of pussies. Either this kid is our QB or he isn't. Stop trying to hide him. Let him play, or get someone else.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand your point is one about process, and there is merit to it - how from this starting point, having gotten here after a whole off seaon of preparation, does MS change his approach to the game? But WSW also has a point - there is in fact a middle ground between too conservative and too wide open.

That middle ground has to be the goal, albeit it will be a real problem geting there any time soon.

I expect the next at least two games to be ugly, and the next MNF game against the Vikes will probably not be pretty, either. Favre back in the Meadowlands. ugh.

20. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Wasn't Santonio Holmes the favorite target for Sanchez in the preseason? Might have been better to sit him down or have him play with the #2s in the last couple of preseason games... it's like Sanchez got used to having him there and then he's gone. Take away any QB's favorite target due to injury or otherwise, and it'll have an impact.