The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

His uncle was running that show. And the Agent works for the player, not the other way around.

That's another issue I had with this situation. If you think back to the Liar/Liar episode, the team offered to have Rex/Woody/M.T sit down with Revis and the agents.

The Agents then called that a lie saying THEY were never offered a sit down with Woody....

Their denial, and the teams subsequent stance always lead me to believe that they did not want 24 in the room.

I bet you dollars to donuts, those two jackoffs are still pissed over how this ended.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree with this post.

Wow, reading about what happened, it sounded like Revis in fact was expecting he was going to hold out at least past the opener. Sounds like Ryan got involved and loosened things up. I am very happy as I was expecting Revis would not be back before the opener, too. I am glad it turns out I was too pessmistic.

I am also back to being very optimistic about the Jets' chances this year, as I expect we all should be. This is great.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

So Revis got no signing bonus and no fully guaranteed money. If they have a 2011 season he gets an $18 million bonus and he has I believe around a $7 million salary for that season. Based on those numbers I think it's very possible that this is a one year deal and that they will look to put together a new deal when the new CBA is in place.

4. Hobbes3259

Yes, he would have.

What did he really get ?

He was due an average of 10 mil guaranteed over the next two seasons, for 20.

So, essentially we gave him the salary he should have earned this year, and one extra year.

I find it impossible to believe that the Jets would not have paid him an extra 12 in guarantees had he been at Cortland.

Essentially giving him one years guaranteed salary gets you there.

5. Hobbes3259

All I care about is him getting through week 2 healthy...that's the game where Revis/Cro/Wilson all have to be on the field

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i think you took this situation a little too personally, Hobbes.

I didn't give a shit how it was done...as long as he was signed and given a raise for his efforts. Because unlike jerkoffs like Matt Leinart and Jamarcus Russell...Revis earned his payday.

My only disclaimer was that the impending contract didn't cripple the Jets in regards to signing their other core players.

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

btw posting stats for this beautiful thread (those with >100 posts):
    IgnatiusJReilly 676
    TommyGreen 495
    WhiteShoeWillie 411
    Hobbes3259 378
    MadBacker Prime 340
    Don 337
    ace_o_spades 331
    JfaulkNYJ 322
    MBGreen 304
    CatoTheElder 288
    Miamipuck 279
    Br4dw4y5ux 257
    Steve032 199
    bojanglesman 180
    NDmick 179
    AbdulSalam 168
    JetBlue 133
    abyzmul 125
    jetsmets93 118
    RichMiano 114
    Jets n Boys 113
    NYJ2K10 107
    Nacho Sanchez 105
    Cakes 105
    624 100

8. Hobbes3259

Which is where this had been headed.

My issue with this, after spending 4 decades watching this team, has more to do with using the teams situation as a hostage, and the fact that holdouts seem to get hurt.

And if he's not 100% that's an issue.

I've maintained all along, if he was in Harris' situation I'd have zero issue with it.

This guy was offered a merit raise, and tried to go the Free Agency payday route.

In the end, he got the amount of money we all agreed he's earned, as I pointed out above,
    it's not really much more than he already was entitled to under his previous deal..it's hardly realistic to think he could not have gotten the extra 12 in guarantees while he was in camp.

9. Hobbes3259

This thread is the $#!t!!!!!!!!!!

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He got 32 million guaranteed, or about 26 million more than if he played out his original contract.

11. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

[​IMG]

We've got our defense back at full force!

12. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Damn, I have no life. No offense to those above me.

13. Hobbes3259

Where are you getting 26 ? He would have been due 20 mil guaranteed.

My point is....by showing up, the team was obligated for 20 mil in guarantees.
    Paying him an extra 11 mil this year puts you where he is..

14. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm including salary. He would have received 20 million altogether, but now he's getting 46 million, 32 of which is guaranteed.

That's a lot of money.

15. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Is any of the money 100% guaranteed for skill or injury?

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The $32 million is. He held out for $12 million more in guaranteed money, for a total of $26 million more than he would have received had he stuck to his original contract.

17. Hobbes3259

Yes, it is. But..as one writer pointed out...you could assume the franchise tag the year after is 20 mil...

My point is, over the haggling over guaranteed money, do you disbelieve that if Revis called up and said....Reinstate my guarantees, and write me a check for 11 mil for this season...this deal would not have been done?

At the end of the day, he's still averaging less than 12 per.

I'd love to be hearing the conversation in the agents office.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Deferring to authority is not my style or personality, but here it does deserve mentioning that the Jet FO feels this contract is doable for them. I have no reason to think otherwise, and the upside is that Revis will be playing, and all that means for the team. Particularly these first three games I think he will make a huge difference. It's not just that his absence would have meant using different schemes, probably zone coverage for the most part, to contain the opponent's best receivers. It also was the lack of depth at corner. Now we will see much less of Coleman and Lowery than I feared and that will be a very good thing.

But on the contract, it's a deal that appears to work for both parties. The Jets were going to have to give up something to get Revis back to playing, and it does sound like Revis did not get all that close to what he wanted. But the main thing as far as I am concerned is he's back.

19. Kenny

Kenny New Member

He is making 32 Mill int he first 2 years so in a way he is going to be the highest paid player this year and next. They can't franchise him after the 4 years are over so after year 3 if he is doing well they are going to want to sign him long term.

20. hazmat

hazmat New Member

But it's 100% guaranteed? So if he gets injured or he just sucks he still gets the $32 million? How did they work around the reallocation rules?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.