The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqdzJ-nnpE[/YOUTUBE]

2. Tight

Tight Active Member

does this mean in 4 years hes going to ask for 20 million a year ?

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

If we're lucky, that'll mean great things for us.

If we win a Super Bowl over these next 4 years I don't care if we pay his Uncle $20 million per year.

I want SB win, and a massive Jet parade. I could die a happy man.

4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He just got 25 million for 1 extra year. I suspect the contract not being able to franchise or tag Revis is very bad news for the jets. Considering the problems they had signing him this year and 3 years ago its not hard to imagine that they will have the same problems in 4 years. If he is as marketable as he is now in 4 years it would be a bidding war and a war the Jets would likely not win. I hope in 2 years they can get him locked down long term. I would be quite worried we paid an extra $25 million for a very short term ride with little hope of resigning him again.

What is interesting to me is the motivation behind the no franchise clause. If you recall in 2007 the Jest wanted a 6 year deal and Revis wanted the standard 5 year deal everyone in his draft position range gets. Eventually the Jets caved and gave him what everyone thought was a 4 year deal with an option for year 5 and 6 guaranteed at the outlandish salaries of $5 and $15 million. At the time Revis viewed this as a great victory but because he outplayed his contract year 5 and 6 actually became a bargain for the Jets. It seems from what Rex said this time his agent was very concerned about entering into a long term deal where his contract could become undervalued as contracts values inflate over time as years 5 and 6 did in his rookie contract. Which seems to be the reason for his insistence to make himself a free man with no restrictions after 4 years. Which essentially puts great deal of pressure on the Jets to redo his contract in 2012 (with 2 years left) or face him playing out his contract in 2013 and getting nothing in return.

It seems to me the Jets you really got hammered on this deal as Revis not only got $25 million for only one more year, the jets lost their ability to franchise him, and they may be faced with a great deal of pressure to redo this deal in 2 years. But then again the NFL is about winning now not what happens in two or four years.

#12324 Noam, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

There is a no-holdout 'clause' which prevents Revis from holding out after year 2, if that's what you're getting at. If he doesn't play out the first 4 years then the money he had guaranteed (13 million for skill I believe) disappears. On top of that, years 5, 6, and 7 on the contract are now non-voided.

6. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Is the "no-hold out" clause a reality?

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Yes, but it's complicated. Someone else with more knowledge of the contract and league stipulations should chime in.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Rock I don't think the no holdout contract matters at all. If they don't resign him in 2 years what are the odds they re-sign him in 3 years vs. Revis can simply say in 2 years resign me now or next year I will play out my contract. Would you expect him to not do this?

Maybe I did not articulate it well but my concern and I would assume the jets concern is, if they wait until Revis only has one year left he will just play out that last year and say goodbye. There is no reason for him to hold out and there is a great deal of pressure on the Jets to redo the deal in 2 years. As the jets will not be able to franchise or restrict his movement following the 2013 season. He does not need to hold out. He just needs to play well, stay healthy and watch the pressure on the Jets grow and the reality of a huge mega pay day grow. If he stays healthy and plays well he holds all the cards. Imagine how much Daniel Snyder would pay him?

#12328 Noam, Sep 7, 2010
  9. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Yeah. I'd like to know the deal with such a clause and how legal it is.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

End of story. Thats the way I read it too.

Plus, the guy would be insane to try to pull this again. You get one chance at being labeled a pig. Not saying he was...but if he did it again, his reputation would be shot. He doesnt seem, even after this is all said and done, to be that dumb. He is a very smart guy that took a chance and won..not as much as he would have liked..but he aint makin no single million this year.

Alot changes over 2 years also. The team will be built a different way with more emphasis EVENTUALLY on the front 3/4 providing the pressure. The discussion of "what would we do without the savior" will not be as important as it seems today, with this roster.

Its a waste of time to be mad at what happened and certainly a waste of time to wonder what will be.

For this year..this a great thing. Im sure as hell not thinking about anything beyond that. Relax boys.

#12330 jaywayne12, Sep 7, 2010
  11. MadBacker Prime

Revis said himself this experience humbled him. I think he has regrets as to how far this went.

I wouldn't be surprised if he fired his agents down the road. Just my personal opinion.

12. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Why would you fire someone who got you a really good deal. He went from a guy who was going to make 6 mill in the next 2 years to a guy who is going to make 32 mill in the next 2 years.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

They just got him $32 million in guarantees. I think their jobs are safe.

He will probably consider another method aside from a holdout if this comes up again, though.

14. MadBacker Prime

True, but I think he could've gotten the same results while in camp with drew representing him.

S&F fucked vjax, and almost Revis. He's gotta notice this stuff.

15. Kenny

Kenny New Member

what incentive with 3 years left do they have to bump his salary from 1 mill and 5 mill the next 2 years to over 16 mill the next 2 years? Making 40 mil in the next 3 years compared to 21 mill in the next 3 years and those are option years not guaranteed.

16. CatoTheElder

He notices his payday. Despite what Jets fans(justifiably) think about them, they got the job done for Revis and they're working on the trade to get Jackson on a team that will pay him.

The holdout was still Revis' decision. That's the part that he is going to have to change.

17. MadBacker Prime

They told Mangold he'd have to wait.

Anyway I don't really care, so he keeps them. Fine, he's playing now that's all I care about.

Forget I mentioned it.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

You cannot possibly be this dumb.

he didn't do what he had to do, he did what he wanted to do. he choose to hold out. he didn't have to hold out. it was a selfish decision. Most players and especially guys who are leaders, don't hold out because they realize that they can negotiate a new deal while they are in camp working w/the team to improve and get ready for the season and they believe in honoring their contractual committments.

19. CatoTheElder

Yea, that's the one.

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. His decision to hold out was his own...but who came to who at the end of the season and said it was time to redo his current contract.

Im not crazy about how he handled this matter...but lets not make this out to be him waking up one morning and hitting the Jet front office with a new idea.

MT came to him at the end of the season..those are facts. Yes, it was his decision to hold out...and he might have held out anyway. But promises were made and he felt that they were not being kept. Cant see how anyone isnt able to see both sides of this story.

If you wanted it played out to defend your position, the Jets front office should have stayed silent...like they did with dbrick...Harris...and Mangold...then watched the chips fall wherever and deal with a player who decided to hold out.

Now Im sure you will respond that he was under contract...no argument there..but lets not make this out to sound it was a one side affair....it clearly was not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.