17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

No, there's a bowling alley shoe guy from Bayonne who says that too.

2. kaboom

kaboom Member

UD at Gillette Stadium (the upper portions of it) are damn high up (having watched the Favre game there in 2008)

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry U must have missed it I posted the original newspaper report many, many, many moons ago announcing the stadium & in that statement was in the pronouncement that the stadium would be fitted to accommodate a dome

4. championjets69

Actually I guess it was our esteemed owner since it is in the pronouncement that announced the stadium which I posted many, many, many moons ago

5. Section 227. Row 5

The heresay was that the OLD stadium had been "fitted" for an eventual dome. We will never really know now.

As far as the New Mausoleum Stadium, I distinctly remember Mara and Tisch being quite adamant about no roof whatsoever... something about real men don't play in a dome and home field cold weather advantage and whatever. And Woody never took a formal stand on this, to my knowledge. The little whimpish wussy, not surprisingly, didn't even mention which side of that coin he is on.

So it is highly unlikely that the new stadium was "fitted" for a dome. Fitting it for a dome would involve a whole other level of architectural design, something involving massive support and weight distribution (especially because of the girth of this fucking monstrosity) and something of which I'm sure we would have been seeing and hearing a lot about. It certainly would have been used as a major selling point for PSL sales, had it been "fitted" for such, seeing as how they use every damned fucking thing under the sun, and then some, to sell the cockamamie things.

And had it been "fitted," any early talk of hosting a SB would probably have been preempted by Goodall saying something like, "Well, seeing as how the NMS is "fitted" for a roof, we would certainly entertain that possibility should the owners decide to erect one." But no, no mention. All of the above tells me the God-Damned pink elephant is NOT fitted for any such thing and never will be. Just my HO, of course.

#9745 Section 227. Row 5, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. JetsSec337Lot13B

The orange passes are still selling on ebay for about $240 for the season. I'd unload it and buy off ticket exchange or ebay.

7. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

link ??? or it didnt happen.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I read they can drape a tarp over it, or if that doesn't work a huge Umbrella is being made. It's part of Totes buying the naming rights.

9. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

I have said they should have built a dome from the get go. The NY Daily News has why I was right.

Forbes NFL team values: Giants, Jets rank in top ten, but heavy Stadium debt a concern
    BY Ebenezer Samuel
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 25th 2010, 6:01 PM

Antonelli/NewsWhile the Giants and Jets should reap the financial benefits of New Meadowlands Stadium, Forbes' survey suggests a lockout could be very costly to both teams. Related NewsJets D doesn't miss Revis vs. PanthersJets' Mangold close to signing contract extensionRaissman: YES catches up to Clemens caseJets won't comment on Revis deal rumorsSmith: Get it over with and sign Revis, JetsRex instructs Sanchez to wear knee brace
    The Giants and Jets both stand to make plenty of money this fall, thanks to the revenue they'll rake in from ticket sales at the New Meadowlands Stadium.

But the two teams should enjoy that bounty while it lasts, because they could land in serious financial trouble if there is an NFL lockout in 2011, according to Forbes magazine.

The well-known business publication will unveil its 13th annual listing of NFL team values in next month's issue, and the city's two squads are once again highly ranked. Forbes ranks Big Blue fourth in the NFL, valuing the team at a hefty $1.182 billion, while the sixth-ranked Jets aren't far behind, worth $1.144 billion. The Giants were ranked fourth in the 2009 rankings, while the Jets, ranked No. 5 last season, fell one spot this year.

"The Giants and Jets are both in a very good position now," said Forbes senior editor Kurt Badenhausen.

That's the good news.

Forbes' research also reveals information about the debt load both teams carry, which is especially relevant given the league's labor situation. (Chances of a work stoppage during next year's collective bargaining negotiations are considered high and both teams would lose massive revenue in the event of a shutdown, theoretically affecting their ability to repay their loans). The Giants and Jets carry more debt than any other NFL squad: Forbes estimates that the Giants owe more than $650 million and the Jets owe around $750 million, most of which was accumulated as both squads worked to secure funding for their new $1.6 billion New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey.

According to Badenhausen, those debts shouldn't become problematic, as long as both teams consistently draw fans and continue to pack the stadium, and as long as there isn't a work stoppage.

"The Giants and Jets are both taking substantial risks by going out and borrowing $1.4 billion," Badenhausen said. "But they're both poised to be financially very successful, and they have room to grow financially."

How much? Badenhausen predicts both squads will finish in the NFL's top five in total revenue, perhaps gaining as much as $100 million each, and by next year, they may challenge the Cowboys, Redskins and Patriots, the top three revenue-producing teams on Forbes' list.

They should also reap the benefits of assuming full operations of the New Meadowlands - instead of paying rent as they did at the old stadium.

But that rosy picture turns grim if the league's labor strife results in a lockout in 2011. Every team would suffer, but nobody would struggle more than Big Blue and Gang Green.

"A lockout would affect the Giants and Jets probably more so than any other NFL franchise," Badenhausen said. "The Giants' and Jets' built-in costs of servicing debt are so much higher. If we have a lockout, they still have to pay the interest on their debt, even if nobody's buying a ticket."

The Giants and Jets, however, aren't buying Forbes' assessment. The Giants declined comment, but Jets executive VP of business operations Matt Higgins dismissed the numbers as "estimates," adding that Forbes "evaluates based on its own approach."

"It's not something we . . . necessarily agree or disagree with," he said in an email. "It doesn't affect our business one way or another."

Still, both teams seem to be taking cues from Forbes' most valuable team, the Cowboys, who are just $190 million in debt one year after opening Cowboys Stadium.

Dallas' secret? Owner Jerry Jones has pushed to make Cowboys Stadium more than a football venue, hosting such events as the 2010 NBA All-Star Game and Manny Pacquaio-Joshua Clottey.

"Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, that's the model," Badenhausen said. "Including preseason, (the Giants and Jets) will play 20 games at the new stadium. That's a lot of empty dates."

Higgins says the Jets are already looking to fill some of those slots.

"We are doing a lot to attract great events to the media capital of the world," he said. "There is tremendous energy around the team, and the stadium is in great shape."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f..._a_concern_for_giants_jets.html#ixzz0xfBUP86C

10. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Yeay but there have already been other events in the building. Bon Jovi, the Eagles, two major (70,000+ attendance) soccer games. And that's just this summer. The building hasn't even been fully open yet.

Other then the Final 4 and NBA all-star game what events will the Meadowlands miss out on due to lack of a roof that Dallas was able to host?

11. Digetydog

Digetydog Member

1. The Final 4; NCAA Tournament games every year.
    2. Big East Championship Game - Football and Basketball;
    3. BCS Championship Bowl Game
    4. Rodeo
    5. Policital Conventions
    6. Concerts between October and April
    7. Winter Monster Truck Events, Supercross
    8. College Football Games;
    9. High School Football Games
    10. With a Dome, the stadium is in the Super Bowl Rotation. Without, it is likely to be a one and done;
    11. Religious Events - nothing in the winter. At various times of the year, there will be mass religious events at Jerryworld.

Basically, going without a dome was a big gift to the Dolans and MSG. Why do you think they fought the West Side Stadium so hard?

12. Section 227. Row 5

Good post and a great point about the Dolans ansd MSG.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If they don't use the half billion each or whatever it is they are making on PSLs to pay off the debt then fuck em. That's the whole purpose off selling PSLs, to pay off the cost of a new stadium.

#9753 Don, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  14. Gator

Gator Active Member

It was an assinine decision form the get go and I said before they built it they better put a dome on it. As someone said, Woody caved to the Maras. Meanwhile in the Colts and Saints both won the Super Bowls recently. Lucas Oil Stadium is fantastic. We live in the northeast. Who cares if Philly, Baltimore and New England all built stadiums without a dome? NY/NJ could have guaranteed themselves things like political conventions, etc with a dome. More importantly, from a selfish standpoint, we wouldn't have to freeze our a$$e$ off.

15. basketballjones72

basketballjones72 New Member

I live in Atlanta, and it's amazing that the Georgia Dome is one of the oldest stadiums being used for NFL football and that it's out of the rotation for the SB because they deem it being too old. It opened in 1992, and had a massive upgrade last year. But everybody wants something new, and they're thinking of tearing it down for an open air stadium.

16. Section 227. Row 5

"Jets executive VP of business operations Matt Higgins dismissed the numbers as "estimates," adding that Forbes "evaluates based on its own approach."

The reason Higgins dismisses the numbers is that he knows something Forbes doesn't know, something he's already discussed with the owner.

He knows Woody Johnson will spike the ticket prices in many or all of the PSL areas. Hardest hit will be the recently "discounted" PSL seats, because they're the ones who "deserve it" the most. Wait and see what starts happening to PSL seats in May, 2011, with the new ticket invoices.

17. championjets69

I believe the link to the newspaper article announcing the new stadium which included the fitting for a dome is in this thread way, way, way back. It was in response to Ct something others contention it was not. Now weather they use it is certainly a horse of another color

18. championjets69

You have to do some math here which it seems you have not done sorry to say. The stadium cost 1.6B & the NYJs share then iis 800M. Remember they only applied a PSL to 67,000 seats not the entire stadium. So if you use 5Gs as the AVERAGE PSL & times that by 67,000 seats that is only 300M & change leaving a shortfall which I would suspect is what the Forbes reporter is referring to.

19. championjets69

Go back in this thread & mean way, way back to a CT something or other who had the same contention & you will find the link. Or just start googling as option 2

20. Section 227. Row 5

I do remember you contending this at some point and also providing some sort of link or reference to something when challenged at the time. And I do not doubt your veracity, Champ, as you would have no logical reason to continue to state this if you did not believe it.

What I do think is that you are mistaken, or that there had been rumor or speculation to that affect, or that it had possibly been thought about prior to the actual drawings, or that the information somehow got mixed up with what was being proposed for the WSS, or something similar to that.

As far as the actual construction of the New Mausoleum Stadium, I do not believe there is any contingency for a roof or dome. I do not believe it was built with any consideration for such a future contingency. The reason I feel strongly about this is because we have not heard squat from anyone about this... even during the talks concerning a possible SB here. Had the stadium been "fittted" for a roof, don't you think that fact would have been brought up (by either side) during the discussions of a possible SB here? I do.

Mara and Tisch made it abundantly clear very early on, when Woody was first brought into the mix. I distinctly remember reports of early discussions between Mara and Tisch and the Little Whipping Boy, and the Little Weasel Whipping Boy being told flat out by the Giants that they don't ever want no stinkin' roof, and The Little Bitch-Slapped, Spoon-Fed Whipping Boy dropping to his knees to perform felacio on the two Giants owners' wishes.