Sanchez will wear brace on knee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dwalsh, Aug 24, 2010.

1. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Sanchez will wear brace on knee
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) -- Mark Sanchez is bracing himself for the rest of his career.
    The New York Jets quarterback will wear a protective brace on his surgically repaired left knee "probably forever" to guard against future injuries after a scare in the preseason game against Carolina last Saturday.

"I really want to wear it," Sanchez said sarcastically Tuesday. "No, we've been joking back and forth. I think I kind of lucked out the other night."
    During the Jets' 9-3 win at Carolina, a Panthers players almost rolled into the franchise quarterback's knee.

"I had him put the brace on after I saw that thing," coach Rex Ryan said. "It was close. He couldn't step up and the guy's helmet was here. I was like, 'That's enough.' That's why he's putting it on."

Sanchez had the patella-stabilizing ligament in his left knee repaired in February and had been wearing a sleeve over it during camp. He has worn a brace in most games since dislocating his knee cap before his junior season at Southern California.

"It's not even worth having other problems," Sanchez said. "My knee feels great It's just a precautionary thing."
    He first sported the bulky brace at practice Monday, and will now wear it during all future games and practices.

"It's just a matter of getting used to it again," the second-year quarterback said. "I wore it growing up, I've worn it in school (and) all last year. It's really not that bad. It's really not that bad. It's more of a mental thing. I just don't like wearing it."

He even consulted with veteran backup quarterback Mark Brunell, who has worn a knee brace throughout his career.

"I was hoping he'd say, 'Nah, you don't need it,"' Sanchez said. "And I could then say, 'Hey, Brunell has played forever and he never had a problem.' But he wore it for 14 years, so it's not going to work."

2. 624

624 Banned

What does this have to do with Revis?

But yeah I guess that is the right thing to do, I heard Rex talking in his press conference and saying Sanchez almost got hit in the knee by a guy Slauson let get by.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'd rather see him wear the brace than see something that turned out to not be a near miss.

...and all of a sudden I'm really happy that we signed Brunell.

4. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

It should not hurt his play as long as he gets it out of his mind, might as well

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

he's worn it before, so it won't be a problem for him, its probably just very uncomfortable to wear around. but in the end I would rather he wear the braces and never have it become an issue, than to not wear it once only to destroy his knee and never be able to play again

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

He should have been wearing it all along. He isn't a WR or an RB. He is a QB. I've worn a brace. Once you get used to it, it isn't bad at all, unless you are playing a speed position. Schools like Ohio State make all of the linemen wear one, even if they don't have a knee problem.

7. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

gotta stay healthy...im sure it affects his rolling out of the pocket a little bit, but as thunderbird said wear it and get used to it...better safe than sorry!

8. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

It really isn't much different than getting used to pads. The first time I wore pads I was falling down all the time. Couldn't catch the ball. I got used to it quickly. Sanchez doesn't play a speed position. It should not affect him at all.

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

It shouldn't be too bad really. I mean, how often is Sanchez really going to be making cuts. I'd sacrifice one 10 yard run a game from Sanchez to safeguard against a season ending knee injury.

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

There was a report the other week that Tom Brady has got his backup Hoyer wearing knee braces, even though he's never had knee problems. Better safe than sorry.

11. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I think you misheard the report. Hoyer was given knee pads so that he could more comfortably fellate Brady. That's Tom for you, always looking out for his teammates.

12. basketballjones72

basketballjones72 New Member

Totally agree. I've worn a brace for a couple of years and you get used to having it after a while. It should be no big deal.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Is he going to be wearing something like this?

[​IMG]

Or this?

[​IMG]

14. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

i heard he reagravated it during his lance laury impression