The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

.... he played very well, but not a top ten QB way. He will be good, but can't see his QB play leading us to Dallas .

2. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

I don't post here often, mostly just read.

I am almost always pro-player getting paid, or more broadly, pro employee getting paid.

However, in this case, I think anyone on the planet who thinks the Jets have done ANYTHING wrong at all, are absolutely insane, period.

1) Name me another player who got a contract that absolutely annihilated the current highest contract at his position, WITH 3 YEARS LEFT? Sure, contracts get ripped up with 3 years left all the time, but NEVER for a deal that would blow away the highest current deal. Considering Aso's deal is absurd, and Revis is asking for a deal that would destroy his deal, with 3 years remaining, is absolutely out of control and unprecedented.

2) The deal the Jets have put forth for 10/120 IMO is far too much going off my point 1), however, the Jets are willing to do it because Revis means that much to them. That contract has the potential to damage the future ability to sign other important pieces. Lets not act like the Jets are trying to short change Revis here, quite the contrary, they are trying to pay him more than he deserves based on my first point.

3) WTF do people expect the Jets to do, sit back and let Revis turn the Jets fans and media against them in this situation??? I mean come on, get real.

4) The best team in a given year rarely wins the SB anymore, period! The teams that win SB's are teams that put themselves in position to win it year after year. There is a lot of luck involved in winning a SB, healthy, schedule, the right bounces, etc. If the Jets pay Revis THIS year that kind of money, it will pretty much rule out the chance for them to be in position in future years to make a run, then, if they get a wrong bounce, a bad injury, etc., do we want to wait 10 more years to have another team capable of winning the SB, F No!

5) IF this was a franchise QB, and ONLY if this was a franchise QB would I say the Jets should even consider caving, and even then I would be skeptical. I don't care how good a CB is, you cannot let a CB do this to you. Not only would it hurt your chances to sign other players because of this contract, it would also set a precedence.

6) As optimistic as I am this year that the Jets will be great, there are still a few major question marks, one in particular is the QB, by far and away the most important piece of the puzzle. I think Sanchez is going to be very good, but I am not positive he will be this year. They have a ton of pieces that all have to gel, and I am not convinced they have the right OC to take advantage of the offensive talent they have accumulated.

7) Revis and his reps are so out of line it is not even funny. If I were Mr. T, I would have offered the 120 million, and said every week you do not accept the offer, is another week of distractions for our team, and less of a chance for players to get practice in the right spot, therefore, every week the offer goes down by 10Million. Non negotiable. If he does not like it, F him and his BS agents. Right now I would be offering him 10/100, next week it would go down to 10/90. Period. If he does not like it, F you and sit out until you play out your contract you greedy selfish prick.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Revis on TV instead of on Field??

I would be F'n mad if this happened...

I think from Revis' standpoint it would be a huge mistake to go 'public' after both parties agreed to a media black out.
    This could get ugly in a hurry.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Does the article state he's planning to do that or just offer the suggestion?

I agree, that would be one hell of a boneheaded move for him to go on TV.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

All big 'IFs'......

full article

6. MizzouJet

MizzouJet Well-Known Member

It's already ugly...just because the game ain't being played out in the media right now does not make the animosity any less.

Ya know, I would half way understand if Mangold or Harris were holding out...at least each of those two are in the last yr of a contract. And, if the Jets 'cave' into Revis's demands, if I were either of those two I'd leave camp the next day...and despite the fact that Mangold and Harris are due to make more than Revis THIS year, neither has made $15 million in their first 3 years in total like Revis.

No team can operate in a capped league (and if there is future play, there WILL be some cap) if any player half way through a contract just stays home and refuses to play unless his deal is voided and renegotiated.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

that article is horseshit because if there has been a media blackout on both sides he'd shut his mouth about the holdout and just talk about the other teams in the league.

And if he does that, it'll sway me from being purely neutral about this issue.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I can.

Reducing turnovers and playing with the weapons he'll have will turn this offense into an efficient machine that can produce 23 ppg with the fact that they'll get the ball back constantly with this defense, with or without Revis. The run game will not change from last year to this year, but they won't be ranked #1 because Sanchez will be throwing more.

Will he have fantasy numbers? No, but he'll put up figures that show he's capable of making plays.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez is our question and our key to getting to Dallas if we can.

This is two weeks in a row now that the opposing offense has basically been shut down in the first half. The defense isn't the same as last year but it still looks damn good.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Revis is on some morning pregame show in a suit instead of on the field Week 1, then he is dumber than I thought. That would never happen.

11. Kenny

Kenny New Member

based off what? this is 2 weeks in a row the teams best wr hasnt played... Carolina's wrs are a joke and all we got is 2-3 series with a lot of mental errors. It's funny how people think these preseason games mean so much one way or another when the offense isn't going to show what they want to run in the real games.. Besides the fact Carolina without Steve smith people would have trouble naming a wr after Jarrett and they only know him from his college days...

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ has the defense not looked in sync for both weeks? You can look at things I context, seeing that they are on the same page and flying to the ball.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Based off of Eli Manning was 3-7 for 19 yards before that little shovel to Bradshaw. Based off of neither of the offenses the Jets have faced so far have been able to get anything going. They haven't been able to run, they haven't been able to pass, basically they've flopped around and looked miserable, just like last year.

Are the best players playing? Maybe not, but the DNA of the Jet's defense this year looks just like last year: get a lot of pressure, stop the run and force the offense to make errors.

The Jets defense was great last year because Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine and the other defensive coaches know what they're doing and have a strong plan to disrupt the opposing offense. That's why it'll be great this year.

If you see the first two games as proof of nothing then you're really not looking very hard at what's happening.

14. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

jets better sign revis christ.

15. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

at this point the jets need to take a hard line stance and basically say the 10 yrs 120 is more then fair and we will not offer more we want you to stay but understand that u want more money unfortunatley for you, you are under contract for 3 more yrs so its all good if u want to move on but we will not trade you under any circrumstances so you can take 3 seasons off or play for the jets were sorry that it came to this but this is the best we can do

he would be in camp by monday if the jets pulled that

16. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

These dipsh-ts Feinsod and Schwartz also represent Vincent Jackson, who's threatening to hold out for the entire year too. And they convinced Pete Kendall to act like a pus-y when he held out on us.

Can Goodell ban these pric-s from the league...

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Obviously the defense can't be better than #1 which they were last year but they might be just as good. If Jenkins stays healthy I can see a lot more sacks then last year. We haven't even begun to show anything we have and we are already getting much more pressure on the other team. All Cromartie and Wilson have to do is hold their own and we should be fine.

18. G00MBA

G00MBA New Member

Has anyone talked about DR's ability to hold out on his new contract next year or the following year if he so chooses? If so I missed it. Does anyone know the answer? Let's say DR takes the 10/120 deal just to get back on the field and stay fresh (not because he's satisfied with it). Well, if he can hold out on his current 3 year contract, then he can hold out in any year of whatever new contract he signs, no? Is that right? And if that's true, how the f*** can teams/owners work within this f***d up system? That would mean contracts don't mean jack, and that owners/teams are at the mercy of their players and would have no control of payroll/management. What am I missing?

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well if revis doesnt like the deal he won't sign it, so the chances he accepts a 10 year deal he is unhappy with is highly unlikely, maybe the "band-aid" 3 year deal for 30 million, which he could hold out the final year of, but not a ten year deal.

20. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Without Revis on the field this D can be just as good as last year. A little better against the run, a little worse vs the pass. But we still have the potential to be a #1 overall D. With him on the field we could be truely elite. One that will be talked about for years to come.

That said Tanny can not and will not go higher than he has gone in negotiations. I hope he leaves his 10/120 offer on the table and tells Mevis he can accept it at any time, otherwise sit. Negotiation closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.