Mcknight might not make team (per rotoworld)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by inSANITy, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

He has apparently been hard to coach and unwilling to run between the tackles. Idk if this is true or was mere speculation based off hard knocks but it is defintely worth mention.

I would definitely like to see chauncey washington get some more carries in preseason.

2. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Sounds like a blogger's opinion without actual sources. I'd imagine he sticks with the team in one way or another; would suck to lose a 4th round pick before the season starts.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, if he can't play, he can't play. If he's not worth having on the roster, then he should be cut. He would not be the first 4th round pick to not make his team's opening day roster.

I haven't seen Hard Knocks nor have I attended any practices. All I've seen of McKnight was the preseason game. I cannot put too much stock into a single exhibition game, but I didn't like what I saw from him. He was too jittery and hesitant. He needs to run with more authority.

4. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

If this is the case then our drafting scout should be canned immediately

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

He'll never be great. He's indecisive, fearful, just unsure of himself. Not the kind of things you ever want to see in a running back. Running backs don't think, they do, and he hasn't shown good instincts. I don't think that kind of thing can be coached.

6. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

Hard Knocks made it look as though he didn't take criticism or coaching to well. But its hard to tell how much of that is HBO trying to create schtick and what not.

Although there have already been a bunch of flags with his conditioning, so I could see this happening.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.

This was a high risk, high reward pick.

The kid has a 10 million dollar body and a 2 dollar brain.

If Wilson, Ducasse, and Connor are the studs they seem to be we had an awesome draft.

8. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

this report is bullshit. I just watched Rex's press conference of *yesterday* and he was still praising McKnight.

9. ........

........ Trolls

The actual Rotoworld quote, which would have been nice from the beginning:

The first part is a sum of Rich Cimini's brief McKnight mention from an ESPN article.

The second part is extrapolation on the part of Rotoworld. Cimini never said he wouldn't make the team. There is no direct quote that he won't make the team. Rotoworld is guessing that he might not make the team. This is about as far from legitimate news as you can get. Thread should be merged with the "McKnight is a bust" thread, since it provides nothing new.

10. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

I really don't like what I'm seeing from him either. RB is one of those picks that doesn't usually take much development to be productive. If he's having that much trouble maybe he isn't cut out to be an NFL player, but I doubt we cut him before the season starts, he still has so much potential.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Just a slight overreaction maybe?

He's been a disappointment in what we've seen, especially to me since I was a big supporter of his coming out. This "he'll never be great" business based on ONE preseason game and scattered news out of camp? Just absurd. He hasn't shown good instincts...in one preseason game.

Forget his career at USC in which he was a better running back, if inferior overall playmaker, than Reggie Bush. He ran the ball better than Reggie inside. He's hesitant right now, but I still believe he can be a good back in the NFL. Whether he will is up to him, but it's way too early to proclaim one way or another.

12. SF Dave

SF Dave New Member

If he doesn't make the team, I'd gladly take him on the 49ers, as a change of pace back, with Westbrook getting older, he probably will only be here a year. Maybe McKnight just needs to be back in Cali :D

13. ........

........ Trolls

I haven't liked what I've seen either, but I'd like to see the line open some more holes for him before I start thinking he's not developing. The 2nd team offense was having a tough time opening holes inside, due at least in part to the heavier fronts we saw with the backup QBs in the game. He's used to running behind a phenomenal zone blocking line from USC. It's got to be something of an adjustment, but I think he could do some good things behind our first string line. He just needs to get up to speed.

We really only saw him with two good chances in the preseason game. One, he made a couple of good, quick cuts and had a solid gain. The other, he hesitated and was tackled around the ankles. Mixed results, and I want to see better just like everyone else.

14. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Rex tries to build up players he is near ready to give up on... see Gholston. Rex knows his sideline comments on McKnight made it into the Hard Knocks show. McKnight is about ready to get cut. Woodhead serves his scat back role while being listed as a WR.

C Washington will take McKnight's roster spot. The Jets have a scat back who can play the slot and allow room for an all purpose RB like Washington on the roster.

Unless McKnight makes BIG changes in his attitude, coachability and performance... I predict now he goes to the taxi squad, and even clears waivers.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Given that just yesterday he said "he thinks it'll be a matter of time", I seriously doubt he gets cut or that Rex is ready to give up on him. He wasn't building him up, he was making it clear that he's got problems right now that he'll eventually correct or, in Rex's words, "as the year goes on". That doesn't sound like a last chance kind of proclamation to me.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

It makes absolutely no sense to cut Joe McKnight.

17. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Ok.... let's say you are correct. If McKnight makes the roster, it means that either Woodhead or Washington don't... right?

Ryan is trying to talk these two up, McKnight and Gholston. See any trend there? The year can go on with McKnight on the practice squad. Remember, if another team takes McKnight off our practice squad, they have to sign him as part of their final roster. I really wonder if another team will do that.

18. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, in all likelihood either Woodhead or Washington is cut. Possibly both. Of course, if they love Woodhead in the slot, it's more likely that Clowney is sent packing. As far as the trend, Gholston is in his third year, and second in Ryan's defensive system. McKnight is in his 2nd week of his first training camp in the NFL. No, I don't see this as his last chance.

And no, I don't think McKnight would clear waivers to even make it to our practice squad.

#18 ........, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Woodhead or Washington is not making the team.

There is no way Joe McKnight is cut. The Jets are not cutting their 4th rounder and the guy they traded Leon Washington for. He wouldn't be the first 4th rounder to be cut, but it's not like we have superstars behind him. We can find another Chauncey Washington elsewhere.

My guess is if McKnight continues to struggle, Woodhead makes the team and gets occasional packages when he's on the field, and McKnight is inactive a lot. But he's going to make the team.

20. ........

........ Trolls

I should also mention that it seems like a lot of these "difficult to coach" articles are coming out after Wednesday's 'Hard Knocks'. Hell, most of them, including ESPN's Jane McManus, even directly state that they're getting it from Hard Knocks. From the few minutes that HBO opted to show. It's an easy story, but people wouldn't be freaking out like this were it not for a heavily edited show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.