The Darrelle Revis No Longer Holding Out Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bojanglesman, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF Dave

SF Dave New Member

I blame both sides for this. But I typically lean on the side of the player when involving a holdout. But Revis wants too much money, Al Davis really kinda screwed the league with the Nnamdi contract. And with the labor agreement coming up, they shouldn't risk giving him so much money if there is a lockout.

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I'm a jets fan, but if the Jets make mistakes I will call them out. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the Jets if I disagree with them.

Listen lets talk more realistic shit on Revis not jenkins/revis nonsense.

Revis obviously deserves a new contract, and yeah he signed a 3 year deal...but the NFL is shady as fuck.

I say we get his ass on a 5 year deal, and frontload the fuck outta it. Make his first year salary something outrageous. Kris Jenkins will most likely not be here next year, and Gholston will be gone too. That will free up the cap. We could probably survive 1-2 years under a CBA with Revis making 16mil.
    Then have the final two years of his deal at like 10 a year.

We then trade his fucking ass in 3years when his salary isnt so fucking nuts, and collect what we can.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No.HE SIGNED A 6 YEAR DEAL.

That's the issue here.

He wants FA $$$, but has not paid his dues to get to FA...

What about that equation do you not get?

4. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

he out played his contract who gives a fuck about honoring an NFL contract. Honoring a NFL contract is laughable. This isnt baseball.

are you seriously one of those guys who thinks he should honor his contract?

5. Hobbes3259

No.

I'm telling you.

In the real world he has 3 choices.

Retire.

Accept the Jets Largesse.

Play out his deal.

What leverage does he have beside? Zero.Zip.Nada.

At the end of the day, the other players we are discussing, played their way to free agency.
    Mevi$ has not..and Tannenbaum knows it, and has a 5 year deal to back up eating the pick...
    (or were you not bright enough to understand the reasoning behind that?)

#4465 Hobbes3259, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

yes i understand that.

7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

this

he's hurting himself most in the end. he thinks the jets will come crying back to him saying how much they miss him and give him this retarded contract. If the jets want to be real dicks about it, they can essentially ruin his career. It hasn't gotten to that point yet, but they really could if they wanted to.

neil schwartz sucks at poker. Tannenabum and Woody are wayyyyyyyyyyyy too good of businessmen to fall for some shit like this. I really hope they stick to their guns. I LOVE that "we won't be bullied by anyone" line by Rex from the first episode of hard knocks

#4467 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Aug 20, 2010
  8. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

someone should start a poll in this thread, do you think revis will be there opening day?

cause at this point, that is my biggest concern.

9. Hobbes3259

THe Mevi$ cockgobblers seem to not grasp that whole 2 + 2 logic...

10. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

they're not using logic. they're driven by fear. They think that we're fucked if we don't have revis and that he'd really sit out the entire year or multiple years. Objectively, they know how ridiculous it is, but even if they say they don't they know deep down and are just trying to rationalize.
    The best thing the jets can do is basically pretend he doesn't exist and he has no intentions of playing this year. this is the team we're going to war with from now till the end.

fear is really what the revis camp is banking on. Schwartz is an agent but also a salesman. The single largest motivator in sales is fear...fear of loss usually. He's thinking that it will override any logical decision making, but like i said... Woody is smart. He's not daniel snyder and he's not al davis.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Is it necessary to be such a cunt, Hobbes?

12. Hobbes3259

Smartest post in the thread.

If you are ever in the area...Call me. I owe you a beer

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

are you saying Revis' ability to neutralize a WR really is relevant on every defensive play? that means running plays as well, where the receiver is never a threat to get the ball and is simply a decoy. sorry, shutting down a decoy on a play where he is never going to get the ball isn't affecting that play. so, in reality, Revis' cover abilities are worthless for half of the defensive plays, and thus he is only relevant for a quarter of the game, give or take, whereas Jenkins task to stuff or penetrate the line is relevant every defensive snap.

any tackle Revis makes is a bonus on run plays because your job is to keep a RB from getting that deep as a defense. but no OC is scheming run plays to try and avoid Revis' shut down run stopping. he is as relevant on a run play as any other player in the secondary.

#4473 JetBlue, Aug 20, 2010
  14. Hobbes3259

Byz..explain to me..what Mevi$ current (and UNAVOIDABLE) obligations are?

(P.S. you know I love you but if I'm a cunt, then eat me :wink:)

15. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

This is why I think Revis wont be playing week one against the Ravens, they are going to wait and see how our secondary does against a team like them who although are mostly a running team can pass efficiently, if the secondary gets torched by a good but not elite passing game, the Jets will make the deal happen this is what they are banking on, if the Jets secondary completely shuts down Baltimore, then Revis might come back for less or he will wait until week two to see how they do against the Pats. This is what will happen IMO.

16. abyzmul

Why would I get into that with you? I can look back 10 pages and know that talking about obligations with the fucked NFL system currently in place is basically arguing in circles, especially with you.

The facts are that Revis is currently on a 6 year contract which his employer approached him about in January to tear up, which is confusing considering the fact that their hands are apparently tied in terms of guaranteed money.

So either they expected to crush Revis with a Jets-only sweetheart deal like they signed Ferguson to, or their owner got emotional and let his mouth write a check in January that his balls could not cash in July and August.

The rest is fan manipulation of the facts, in order to make one side look more right than the other. Revis' agents have been the same since 2007. So has his uncle and other family members and advisers.

If Revis had held out on his own with no overtures by the FO, I would be entirely on the Jets' side. I know he's asking too much and I also know that this is his only leverage - withholding his performance, coming off an historic season at cornerback. His stock will never be higher, as possibly the best defender in the game, and his only leverage is not showing up to work. Which speaks to the one-sided nature of NFL contracts.

17. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

This assumes that the Jets will agree to a potentially team killing contract just because they lose a game or two. If you believe the holdout goes into the regular season, then be prepared to be without Revis for a long time.

18. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

So because the Jets approached Revis you are against them getting a reasonable deal?

19. abyzmul

Absolutely not. What I am against is the Jets playing the fans against players when they were the ones that set the whole thing in motion when they knew what the situation was.

Tanny knew that they'd have the re-allocation rule in place long before he and Woody approached Revis about this. Revis had the same agents and advisers 3 years ago that he has today.

The Jets are playing hardball and playing the fans through the media (including Hard Knocks) as if they are the helpless victims against a team of vicious agents.

This entire course was predetermined the moment Woody had his emotional moment of weakness in January and told Tanny to offer Revis the chance to be a Jet for life. What Revis is doing is unreasonable, but both sides have been playing a bush league game for months.

20. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

I was just saying this is what Revis & Co. want, they want the Jets to shit their pants if the secondary fails and sign him asap. Losing to Baltimore and NE would be terrible for us, both are playoff contenders, and then we still have the Fins, Bills, Viking and Broncos. Now the Bills suck but they are still a Rival and usually do well against us.

I do believe Revis wont be back for week one and I hope I'm wrong, if I'm not then I hope or secondary does extremely well and Revis settles as it becomes evident we don't need him, especially in the first 7 weeks where we are playing tough teams, well our entire schedule is tough so whatever, I hope things get situated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.