Ryan Mathews or Jonathan Stewart?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by ToonWalker, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

10 team non-ppr league. We get 4 keepers.

My keepers kick ass: CJ2K, Peterson, Andre Johnson and Boldin (no I didn't win the league last year...doh!).

Through sweet trades, I have the #1 pick in the league's upcoming draft.
    By all accounts and according to most rankings, Ryan Mathews should be my choice. Seems solid, and 1100 rushing yds and 10 or 11 TDs are more than reasonable predictions (pretty damn good for my #3 RB).

However, I really think Jonathan Stewart could be the superior choice. If their roles were reversed and Stewart was the starter for San Diego, he'd be a top 4 fantasy player. Dude is a beast. Despite DeAngelo, he's averaged 1000 yards and double digit TDs in his 2 seasons. He's the same age as mathews.
    IF DeAngelo goes down w/injury, his upside trumps Mathews', IMO.
    On the other hand there's an excellent chance that Mathews' gets more touches and Mathews is on a top-flight offense, where even LT was able to get 12 TDs last year.

Is it better to go "safer", esp. since we're only talking about a #3 RB? Is Mathews really safer anyway? Should I just shut the fuck up and pick whomever, since I already own AP and CJ like a spoiled asshole?

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Ryan Mathews is projected to be a 1st round fantasy pick this year......Stewart is a backup and only sees about 15 touches a game.

3. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

True, which is why I'm leaning towards just taking Mathews...he'll be the higher ranked player and he is a clear-cut starter.

Usually as a "tie-breaker" I try and take the more talented player, and in this case it's not close, Stewart>>>Mathews.
    However, mathews opportunity and offense might be too good to pass him up.

Best case scenario: DeAngelo hurts himself tonight and Stewart takes over for good!

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Stewart is injury prone as well.

Mathews is the complete package.....shifty, runs with power, and has fresh legs.

it's a no-brainer, IMO.

5. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Ryan Mathews > Everyone

6. Jetskees

Jetskees New Member

Most definitely Mathews. Even in a non keeper league I'd take Mathews first, but in a keeper league it's even more clear.

CJ, AP, AJ, and Mathews is an unstoppable group of keepers. Honestly, it's not inconceivable that you have the top 4 players in the league by the end of the year.

7. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Wow, I guess this decision was easier than I thought.

Maybe I was too swayed from watching what Stewart did at the end of 2009 when DeAngelo got hurt...which was basically dominate.
    440 rushing yds, on 69 carries, 6.4 yds per carry, and 4 tds...in 3 games.

I suppose if deAngelo is healthy all year and continues to take half the carries, Mathews has the "higher floor".
    JStew's insane upside depends on DeAngelo getting hurt, which probably isn't the safest way to draft.

So you think this Mathews kid is pretty good huh? :grin:

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

When you get a player like DeAngelo Williams, you have to use a handcuff pick and take Jonathan Stewart...because if either of the two goes down, stats will skyrocket.

If you can land a true feature back (uncommon in today's NFL) do it. Mathews will get goalline carries, short yardage work, and he'll break off a ton of big runs. He's fragile, but any player can get hurt in this league.

9. moosle

moosle New Member

I just traded Mathews for Stewart and the Jets HC. Mathews will be good, but he's unproven and on a pass-first team. Stewart will get his carries.

10. JimmyMcnulty

JimmyMcnulty New Member

Matthews. Gotta go with somebody who will get 300 touches most likely.

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I might have to say Stewart. Sure he's probably going to get fewer touches but I think in the long run he will be the better player, and this is a keeper league.

12. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I go with the featured back over a RBBC halfback....any day of the week.

I wish you were in my league......it'd be some easy money.

13. Revis24

Revis24 New Member

Go with Mathews. Less chance of carries being stolen from him by an equally as good back.

14. tormike

tormike New Member

Mathews for sure. He will be the running game for SD. Stewart and Williams will share carries