Aaron Glenn retires as a Texan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jul 27, 2010.

1. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

I have to agree with you here, but we did replace glenn and coleman with abraham and beasley. Not exactly making out like bandits.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Coleman irritated me. He constantly got beat but then would make a big play. The Monday Night Miracle is a perfect example. He got beat up and down the field, but then made a huge INT that set up the winning FG.

3. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

he had 2 int in ot.
    he stepped in front of an out pass but then fumbled it right back while running back.

only to re intercept another out pass 3 plays later.

4. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I've been a fan of this team basically since '82 and if you're gonna tell me Aaron Glenn wasn't their best CB until the arrival of Darrelle Revis then I have to vehemently disagree with you. I think it was '98 when he only gave up 2 TDs the whole season, and they both happened in one game (J. Galloway), a game we (questionably) won anyway.
    So if he so "overrated" it could be because we've never had the kind of corner we have now (Revis).

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We won a div title, we never won one w/ those 2 as our starting corners. I just think people overrate Glenn, I liked him but he wasn't a great corner. We now have a truly great corner and we've had other guys better such as Otis Smith who many people think sucked for some reason.

Coleman had one really good year and it was his contract year of 1999.

6. nyjunc

I don't know how many TDs he allowed in 1998, it's irrelevant. I saw that man get beat up by all the top WRs, he'd shut down the average to below average guys but would get roasted by the good to great WRs.

1998 he got hurt in that Seattle game. We wound up winning at Miami and at Buf in the span of 6 days to win the division WITHOUT him and then we made a run to the title game WITHOUT him. Then after we got rid of him in '02 we won the div again and won another playoff game. He started one playoff game in his career for us and we lost. The man was a quality corner, he was NOT great. Hasty, Otis, Abraham were all as good as him in the era he played.

7. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

since when did NON hall of fame players start signing one day contracts?????????

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'll give you James Hasty. He was probably on a par close to Glenn, but you're going to say Smith and Abe? I can't agree with that. Glenn was our best corner in the almost 30 years I've been old enough to be a fan. Until Revis, and that was the point of my post. He's "overrated" by Jets fans because, frankly, it's a position we've never been that strong at.

9. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Junc I have to agree with guiness on this one. My recollection of glenn was that he was a shutdown, lock-up whatever side of the field he was playing on corner. He was the best corner we have had until Revis (recent times). We could not keep him because Parcells destroyed our cap situation to make the run at the superbowl.

10. nyjunc

Abe was more of a zone corner but he did his job as well as Glenn did.

Otis was very underrated, he was our best corner in the late 90s.

We have never had a Revis before, not many teams have, but we've had good corners which is what Glenn was a GOOD corner.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

The one argument about "he couldn't handle elite WRs".....well, how many corners can handle the superstars at that position? There's a reason these guys go 1,300 yds. and 12 TDs. They get double teamed all the time. I'm not going to say Glenn is as good as Revis is now, but he was the best at the position in my lifetime until the arrival of Revis Christ.

12. nyjunc

He was never a shutdown corner, we have one now and everyone should be able to see the huge difference btw him and Glenn.

Glenn would always get roasted by the better WRs in the league.

Good player, overrated by our fanbase.

13. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Again....which corner on this franchise was better than Glenn until Revis got here.....? In the last 28 years....?

14. nyjunc

A top corner should be able to hold his own against top WRs. I wasn't asking him to shut down guys like Revis did but he would get torched.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I thought he had already retired.

I loved the guy, and wasn't too pleased when we let go of him and Marcus Coleman. Although, we did end up having a great season in 2002 without them, so I it wasn't a huge loss.

16. nyjunc

James Hasty was better and a bunch of toher guys were as good like Otis Smith, Donnie Abe(again he wasn't a man corner so it's not a great comparison but he did his job as well as Glenn), Bobby jackson, Jerry Holmes,... There are other guys on his level. The problem is we treat Glenn as if he was revis when he was nothing more than a good QB.

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I've said the whole time I've posted in this thread that Revis is better, much better. He's much better than 98 percent of the CBs to have ever played in the league. I'm too young (33) to remember Holmes....but Bobby Jackson, Donnie Abraham, and Otis Smith? You're serious? I see how you've earned your "Most Argumentative" award now. There's no way those 3 are as good as Aaron Glenn was.
    Frankly, I loved Hasty and was upset that he bolted to KC, but Glenn was better than him, too. Who's next.....John Booty?

Edit: I will give you one thing, I saw Jackson towards the end of his career, so unfortunately that's all I can remember off hand.

#37 guinness77, Jul 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  18. nyjunc

Otis was our best corner in the late 90s. Man to man Glenn was better than Donnie but in the jobs they were here for Donnie did as good of a job as Glenn, Hasty was alot better than Glenn but underrated b/c he played on some bad teams.

Glenn was a high pick and at that time we weren't hitting on our 1st rd picks(he was the first of a long string of successful 1st rounders for us) so when he became a solid starter I think he got overrated. Glenn used to drive me crazy getting beat in big spots and against good WRs. Again, we won our 2 toughest games int he '98 reg season and made the tirle game w/o him and after letting him go to Houston we won the div in 2002. He was good but far from great.

I have earned the most argumentative award b/c I don't always take the safe arguments. I have my opinions and sometimes it goes against the majority but I will always argue waht I believe and I believe Aaron was an overrated corner for us.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Does he still get considered for the ROH?

20. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Aside from Revis, Glenn was the best modern-day CB this team had. junc, I love Hasty as much as anyone, but Glenn was a superior CB in almost every way. Otis Smith as good as Glenn? Sir, put down the crack pipe and step slowly away. Otis "My Man" was a very good corner, don't get me wrong, but Glenn was great.