Jets are willing to offer $100 million to Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetzIII, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

4th ? Interesting...

One, Lowery is listed behind Revis.

The 3rd best corner would be backing up the 2nd corner? and the fourth the First?

And I obviously watched more games than you or Cato the Pipemaster..

Strickland DNP weeks 3,4,5,6,12,13,17....Hardly a third corner.

AIPO, Lowery for all intents and purposes split reps with Sheppard.

And...besides nitpicking about what you think the Depth chart is..the simple fact is while splitting those reps..He put up pretty good stats...while being the guy with the target on his back. And Cato should know better than to put up a weak ass argument assuming that
    Lowery was locked up in man against a particular guy by virtue of the opponent.

That's a fail all by itself.

now.We all know stats are never the whole story, but they do tell part of the story and th story they tell, especially for the lowery haters is this...

IF lowery is that bad, than obviously the DEFENSE helped him put up those stats..but that argument does cut two ways. And always in Lowery's favor agaisnt Revis (Which is to say, in addition to the pressure: teams throwing away from DR would be by definition throwing AT DL..so he was always targeted..).

Abused? AYFKM? That stat DOES NOT LIE. The Season total QB Rating (not completion pct.) for passing directly at him was FORTY-FUCKING-FOUR (2nd best in the entire NFL behind Revis (And P.S. that comes from your "you obviously don't know anything about DVORP boys...))

This is a .44 Qb Rating the most power...nevermind.

#81 Hobbes3259, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Teams did not throw away from Revis last year. Only 2 CB's in the league were thrown at more than him. Lowery would be complete toast if he was asked to do what Revis is.

While Revis was playing man against the best receivers in the world Lowery was doing things like #31 in these pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

There's no point comparing Revis and Lowery, because it's more than obvious that Revis is a far superior player. If this rumour is true, the contract is more than fair to Revis...

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

hobbes you are so busy trying to be right and make your own point that you have gone completely off the topic at hand.

which in a very funny twist was a complete garbage article to begin with filled with opinion and very little fact... needless to say things have deteriorated since that wonder of an article written by florio.

5. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

6. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

i want revis here... i REALLY REALLY REALLY want revis here but if he doesn't take 100 mill just because it wont be 16.2 a year then get rid of him and focus on the other 3 of the core fore... hopefully it doenst come to that.

7. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

What does "randomly specific" mean?

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

It means its a very specific figure (16.2m) but also quite a random one as its not an obvious "round number" like 16 or 17, but precisely 16.2.

Revis is coming across like a bit of a nob in these negotiations - at a time when a lot of people are out of work, taking pay cuts or pay freezes it is very galling to see someone bitching that $100m is not enough showing them enough love or respect - shit I wish someone would disrespect me like that.

At the end of the day you are getting paid to run around a field with a bunch of guys playing a game - getting paid anything at all is a fucking bonus.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Classy, really.

Revis is the closest to Deion that we are ever going to see in our life times.

Brick, as good as he is, is miles away from Johnathan Ogden or Orlando Pace.

David Harris isn't even in the best linebacker in the league. We can find ILBs easily.

Mangold is playing in probably the easiest position to replace out of the core 4 next to MLB.

Revis is playing like a future HOF CB right now. He's the biggest component of Rex Ryan's defense and the player Ryan leans on the most. You don't mess with your head coach's player values like that until the coach is tired of the player.

10. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

While Revis is probably the best player on the team, I think signing Mangold and D'Brick are more important. Having a strong Oline chemistry is very important for the offense, specifically for the QB. Since we put so much stock in our QB, we better have a great Oline to protect him.

While I think we will resign Revis, before camp, I do not want to see Mangold have a bad taste in his mouth. They should give him an extension as well. D'Brick comes third, but can wait until after the season. Harris, he may be the odd man out, and will not get an offer until after the season.

11. Hobbes3259

Which, I said. That was not the point of the stats.

12. Hobbes3259

As I said..if this is truly your point and you're not practicing ESL, then what you're saying is pay him whatever it takes.

My original premise was, if the 100 Mil extension is not enough ship him out now.

(BTW..He's barely worth that much..and he's only worth it because of the celebrity component attached to him...If he was a FA KC Chief or Panther etc right now...we would NOT be putting 100 mil on the table.)

It's also fairly obvious why he has a problem with the deal (if the reporting is indeed accurate)....

13. WhiteShoeWillis

Well what's your point then? By showing those stats you're implying that Lowery could do almost as good of a job as Revis because of the defense he's in. The problem is that he's being asked to do an entirely different thing and if he were asked to do what Revis did that stat you showed would be awful for him.

14. Hobbes3259

NO.

The point was as good as he is, he's NOT unreplaceable, and if he balks at 100 Mil he then becomes mroe of a headache than he's worth in terms of relative replaceablity.

And....

While Revis was thrown at 111 times, it was over 1000 snaps.

By contrast Lowery was thrown at 48 times....over 448 snaps.

Revis is by any objective measure a GREAT player. But (and this was one of my original points, but Cato in his distaste for me goes right by the issue) this board clearly overrates the position...(As I pointed out above take a look at what Parcells and Beli both do in terms of staffing it...)

I was one of the early 'pay the man' fans..and still am.within reason. Anyone still arguing with me, is for all intents and purposes saying if Revis says 100 mil isn't enough, go farther.

I think you also need to take into consideration who is advising him..and look at their actions in this context (law,Gilbert)

15. raphac

raphac New Member

Oh boy...

(Cant post links)

Despite their apparent leak to the contrary, the Jets are no closer to signing Darrelle Revis or D'Brickashaw Ferguson to new contracts.

A Newsday report yesterday claimed the Jets were prepared to end their ugly contract impasse with Revis by adding six years to the disgruntled cornerback's contract that would make the total deal worth $100 million.

MIAMI FANS HATE REX

But Revis laughed off that report to friends, pointing out that NFL contracts are not guaranteed and that the only thing that matters -- at least in pro football negotiations -- is money paid up front in the form of bonuses and other guarantees.

Under the league's current system, the Jets could cut Revis before any of the six years kicks in, rendering the $100 million figure meaningless.

People close to Revis said he considers the Jets to be the source of that leaked report and that he feels it was yet another attempt by the team to make itself look good while making Revis appear greedy.

The Jets denied leaking the information, releasing a statement last night that said, "Throughout these negotiations, we have expressed our appreciation and respect for Darrelle as a player and a person, as well as our commitment to finding a resolution that works for both sides."

Revis already is angry at the Jets for what he thinks was their leak to an Internet site last month -- also intended to make him look greedy -- that said he was demanding $20 million a year. Revis is seeking $16.2 million a year.

The agent for Ferguson, meanwhile, took issue with the same report because it said the offensive tackle was on the verge of a long-term extension with the Jets that could be reached before training camp starts Aug. 2 "barring unexpected complications."

That was news to agent Brad Blank, who appeared to doubt a deal could get done that quickly considering he has yet to receive a contract proposal from Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"It's hard to say that [you could get a deal done by camp] when you've never exchanged proposals and don't even know if you're in the same ballpark," Blank told The Post yesterday. "We haven't heard anything from the Jets."

Ferguson has two years left on a six-year deal.

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Why everytime some asshole reporter makes up a story its supposedly leaked by the jets? The media machine in NY/NJ are the downfall for this team, so much damn scrutiny.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Using Lowerys stats in a far different role does absolutely nothing to help the argument that Revis isn't replaceable. You're comparing apples and oranges and you sound silly.

There's no corner in the league better in man coverage than Revis, so while he may be replaceable, you aren't going to get the same quality replacement.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

If I was a player I would be suspicious too but this is just another red herring in what is still going to be a long and drawn out process. I'm still on the this will all eventually work out bandwagon.

18. raphac

raphac New Member

It just pisses me off that we have so many reporters just writing any damn thing, because they know we have so many fans, someone will see what they wrote and blab about it all over town until it becomes "fact" Im sure as a player being watched so closely doesnt mesh with some of them.

19. Hobbes3259

No you aren't...and I've repeatedly said that but it does not matter nearly as much as it gets made out to.

Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Lawyer Milloy...all cast off like yesterdays garbage by a guy that managed to more than couple Lombardi's.

Aaron Glenn.Best corner on the team shipped out in the expansion draft.

As to using Lowery's stats, we all agree he's not the same player..that's not the point.

The point is, THE DEFENSE they play on has more than a little to do with those stats...
    It's assumed by virtue of their status (#1 CB vs. #3(4)CB) they will be covering better athletes but athletes equal to their particular ability.

Hence the Entire Defense framework of the comparison.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Aaron Glenn left in 2002 and it took the Jets 5 years to replace him.