Do what Uncle Gilbert tells you......

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by onefanjet, Jun 13, 2010.

1. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

Wonder how much and how often Sean Gibert bends Revis' ears, I think he did the same when we drafted him......:shit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Gilbert

Professional career
    Rams

On April 27, 1992, Gilbert signed a five-year $7.5 million contract, including a $3 million signing bonus. Other agents were critical of Gilbert's contract because it set values for the players in the draft taken after him. The Green Bay Packers first-round pick Terrell Buckley wanted a deal higher than the Rams paid defensive end Sean Gilbert, the third player taken, and held out 50 days as a result.[3] "The real problem is that Sean Gilbert signed such a bad deal, and now they're trying to sign bad deals for everyone taken after him," NFL agent Carl Poston said.

Gilbert started as a rookie, recorded 5 sacks, and was named All-rookie by Pro Football Writers Association. In 1993 Gilbert was voted to his first Pro Bowl and recorded 10.5 sacks. He was also an All-NFC choice by UPI and Pro Football Weekly. In addition he was named All-Madden and was the NFC Defensive Player of the Week after a 4 sack performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 1995 Gilbert moved to right defensive end (RDE) and was a Pro Bowl alternate, recording 5.5 sacks. The signing of Pro Bowl RDE Leslie O'Neal made Gilbert expendable. "We've got Kevin Carter, D'Marco Farr, Jimmie Jones, and Leslie O'Neal," Rams vice president and director of football operations Steve Ortmayer said.
    [edit] Redskins

On April 8, 1996, he was traded to the Washington Redskins for a first-round pick (the sixth overall) in the 1996 NFL Draft.

With the Redskins, Gilbert was again an alternate to the Pro Bowl.[4] He had 68 tackles and 3 sacks and was a force against the run.[5] As Rams quarterback Steve Walsh said, "Sean Gilbert is playing like a monster." [6] He also helped the defense by drawing double-team blocking.[7] He sprained his knee against the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day and wasn't 100 percent after that.

Gilbert rejected the Redskins' five-year, $20 million offer that included a $5 million signing bonus. He demanded approximately $22.5 million over five years, including an $8 million signing bonus that was to be paid immediately. As a result, the Redskins made Gilbert their franchise player, but rather than sign the one-year $3.4 million tender offer, Gilbert sat out the 1997 season. After the 1997 season the Redskins again made Gilbert a franchise player, this time offering a one-year contract for $2.97 million (the average of the 5 highest paid DTs). Gilbert objected and asked for arbitration saying the Redskins did not have the right to place their franchise player tag on him for a second straight year. On March 17, 1998, the NFLPA and the NFL had an all-day hearing to resolve the case.[8]
    [edit] Panthers

The Redskins traded Gilbert to the Carolina Panthers in 1998 for the Panthers' first round picks in 1999 and 2000. On April 21, 1998, the trade became final when he signed an offer sheet for a seven-year contract worth $46.5 million. Gilbert returned to RDE in 1998 and recorded 53 tackles and 6 sacks, starting all 16 games. In 1999 and 2000 Gilbert moved to his preferred right defensive tackle position and averaged 50 tackles and 3 sacks during those two seasons. In 2001 Gilbert switched to left defensive tackle and recorded 25 tackles and 2 sacks. He was injured and played in only nine games (starting all of them).

Gilbert broke his right hip on October 27, 2002 during a game versus the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and missed the last eight games of the season. Gilbert totaled only 5 tackles during the injury-shortened season.

The giving up of two first-round picks and paying Gilbert over $6 million a year was called a "debacle" by ESPN who reported that Former Panthers coach Dom Capers regretted that move, stating:

"Sometimes you get in a desperate situation and you don't ever want to be in a desperate situation. You make decisions based on the fact that you don't have anybody in a position as opposed to being able to sit back and make long-term decisions that you think would be best for the organization." But Capers quickly realized he had sacrificed too much of Carolina's future for Gilbert. "There was a lot of discussion on that and my initial reaction was that it was too much," he said.[9]

On March 10, 2003, the Panthers released Gilbert.[10]
    [edit] Raiders

The Raiders signed him on October 29, 2003. He was paid a total of $1.5 million for the 2003 season[11] He ended the year with just 7 tackles. After the 2003 season Gilbert was an unrestriced free agent. After no teams offered him a contract in 2004, Gilbert retired.
    [edit]

2. raphac

raphac New Member

As I said on another board, Ty law and Sean gilbert are gunna fuck this boys career up.

He's not being reasonable, he's being a greedy asshole. If he ends up leaving over a few million then I dont want this guy on my team anymore anyway cause then he would apparently not be getting what a team needs, I hate tom brady but I respect him and he's one of the best but when it came down to it, he took a reasonable contract, to keep his squad competetive and noway in hell is revis worth more than tom brady. sorry to all the homers but thats the facts.

Before I end once again I hope this doesnt blow up into more then it has to and he gets a decent contract, but I dont wanna overpay this guy and fuck our bright future up.

3. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

No team can afford to have elite players at every position. If he is going to be so greedy then I would let him go. The Jets wouldn't lose much because they can upgrade another position or two like defensive end with the money that they will save.
    What I hate about Revis is that he held out for the contract he got now. And now he doesn't like it anymore. He will do the same with two or three years left in his new contract. Maybe he should remember what happened to Leon. He could have gotten 4.5 million a year, he wanted 6 and now look what he got.

He just wants the money that would go to other players all for himself. So he is no team player. He knows about the salary cap. He is proving to be such a greedy bastard.

4. raphac

raphac New Member

Thats I believe was a myth, I think the contract was in the 2 mil. range, people have said the jets put that false info out there to gain public support.

5. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Revis has to realize that money he is asking for is attainable, but only on a team like the raiders or redskins. Any competent and talented organization isn't going to pay HOF quarterback money on a CB. Take 12 mil a year for 5 years, win a superbowl, then make your money in advertising your name. I'm sure elmers glue, loctite, and Caribbean island cruiselines will throw some money at you

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

revis may be greedy, but he isn't stupid.

by this i mean revis knows the jets, not him, hold all the cards.

tanny will never break the bank for a player he already has under contract for 3 more years.

revis is looking at $1M this year vs $10M-$12M if he signs a reasonable contract. let it play out tanny, revis will sign. he will sign.

7. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

I'd be willing to give Revis 16.5 million for 2010; 10 million each year for the next 4 years after that in guaranteed money (total guarantee of 56 million) and then some workout and performance bonuses.

I think that would be reasonable given the uncertainty of CBA next year.

8. IWillPeeGreen

IWillPeeGreen New Member

I don't understand why players are always feel obligated to be the highest paid player at their position

Michael Vick was once the highest paid player in nfl history, the same year Peyton and Brady signed their contracts. It was a joke, but Brady signed for many millions less. Even punk ass Randy Moss resigned with the patriots for a very generous contract, after a record breaking season, to compete for a Super Bowl.

9. J_P_5

J_P_5 Member

50mil over 3 with 10 mil sal 9.83mil report bonus 17.83mil garaunteed 19,800,000.00 report bonus in the uncapped year and trade him for4 first round pics if he play up to expectations or trade players to compliment him and keep him and pay him.

10. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

"Gilbeeeerrt..."

[​IMG]

11. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

The "official" report was $2.5 mil per year for 4 years and then raised to $4.5mil per year for 4 years after he skipped the OTAs. TJ was making $5mil and that's what Leon wanted. Which is ridiculous for a 3rd down back that helps out on KRs.

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The Jets told Revis he'd be the highest paid CB, they should have put "next year" in parenthesis because he's nuts if he thinks he'll get 16 million as a corner.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I saw this on another board, thought it would fit in this thread...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1758628

14. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Perfect find, byz.

If memory serves, Ty Law then signed for a year with a New York franchise and made about 6 million. Roughly the same amount as the "slap in the face."

Then he bounced around the league for years. Now's he's advising his protege to follow suit.