Cimini's Latest Blog

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jun 13, 2010.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Sanchez working to clean up glitches

June, 13, 2010 Jun 137:16AM

By Rich Cimini

Sunday notes to chew on as you ponder what it might be like living in England today with the last name Green:

The Sanchez Rules. Now that his surgically repaired knee is healed and he’s back on the field, Mark Sanchez can concentrate on cleaning up some mechanic glitches. One area he’ll be focusing on is his takeaway from center. It seems like an easy skill – get the snap and drop back – but the coaching staff is trying to improve two aspects of his takeaway.

1. The first step – Sanchez needs to be “a little more explosive in his first step away from center,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “We want him to be more balanced his stance, drop his (butt) and explode away from center.” Why? Because they want Sanchez to be quicker into his drop back, achieving the proper depth a split-second sooner than usual. That will help his field vision. Remember, Sanchez is only 6-2, not a statuesque pocket passer, so he can’t see over the rush like others can.

2. The blind spot – When he pulls away from center, Sanchez, like many right-handed quarterbacks, tends to keep his hips and shoulders closed, facing to the right. “It’s hard to see what’s going on to your left,” Schottenheimer said. “That’s why, in our quick, three-step passing game, he wasn’t as accurate to the left as he should’ve been.”

That’s an understatement. According to stats from the Elias Sports Bureau, Sanchez threw 13 interceptions and only one touchdown on passes to the “left sideline” and “left side.” It’s not known how many of those picks came on three-step drops, but you get the idea.

During his down time, Sanchez studied cut-ups of every pass from last season. The coaching staff made the corrections, and now he’s on the field, trying to fix what he learned in the classroom.

Money matters. Take this to the bank (no pun intended): C Nick Mangold, LB David Harris and LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson will not get contract extensions in 2010. The Jets have yet to begin negotiations with any of the players and, considering the uncertainty of the CBA, the organization is showing no sense of urgency. The Jets probably won’t admit this publicly, but I think they’ve already make a decision to wait.

By waiting until after the season, GM Mike Tannenbaum is putting himself in an almost impossible position, with Mangold, Harris, WR Braylon Edwards, WR Santonio Holmes and CB Antonio Cromartie all unsigned. Say goodbye to two or three of those players.

Revis I$land. From all indications, the Darrelle Revis dispute will last well into the summer, perhaps all the way up to the regular-season opener. Both sides seem entrenched in their positions. Revis is adamant about being the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL (can you blame him?), meaning he wants to be paid at least as much as Nnamdi Asomugha (in the $16 million-a-year neighborhood). Ordinarily, the Jets wouldn’t have a problem with making Revis No. 1 in salary at his position, but they regard the Asomugha deal as an aberration, one of many wacko deals executed by Al Davis.

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the possibility of a “band-aid contract,” giving Revis a nice raise in 2010 and re-visiting a long-term deal after the season when (or if) the CBA issues are settled. That’s not out of the realm of possibility, but the Jets might be reluctant to do that because they wouldn’t be receiving anything in return – i.e. more years on the contract. They’d be giving money for nothing, and that could open a can of worms.

Holmes, Sweet Holmes. One of the first things Sanchez noticed about new WR Santonio Holmes is his ability to track a deep ball in the air and accelerate under it. All the great receivers have that quality. Some receivers can run a sub-4.4 time in the 40, but they don’t play to that speed when the ball is in the air. Sanchez offered a terrific analogy when discussing his early impressions of Holmes.

“When you get a new receiver as a quarterback, it’s like a new toy,” he said. “Let’s say it’s a race car. What’s the first thing you do? You floor it. Pedal to the metal, let’s go. Let’s see what he’s got. I want to see what my race care has, I want to see what Santonio has.

“When we first started throwing, when we had a ‘9’ route, I launched it about as far as I could … He’s running, looking up at the ball, takes his eyes off the ball, gets into another gear, looks back up, late hands, tracks the ball … (Completion). He just knew. I mean, you don’t coach that. He’s unbelievable.”

Interestingly, Holmes wasn’t really used that way last season by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He was more of a yards-after-catch receiver. His average YAC per reception was 6.3, fifth in the league among starting receivers. Of his 1,248 receiving yards, 40% came after the catch, only 60% in the air. His longest reception was only 57 yards.

Let’s see how that compares to current teammates Jerricho Cotchery and Edwards. Cotchery produced 38% YAC and 62% in the air, Edwards 31% YAC and 69% in the air.
    Maybe the Jets can find a way to expand Holmes’ game by turning him into a home-run hitter.

This and that: Word on the street is that the contract for CB Kyle Wilson (No. 1 pick) will get done with time to spare before camp opens. The Jets open training camp Aug. 1 … Rex Ryan on who the new leader of the post-Faneca offensive line: “I just know it’s not the left guard” – a reference to rookie Vlad Ducasse and second-year backup Matt Slauson … By the way, Ducasse is well on his way to winning the starting job … Revis bristled when someone asked if, given the state of the economy, he should drop his asking price. One has nothing to do with the other, he said … Thursday was the one-year anniversary of the richest contract in Jets history, Sanchez’s five-year, $50 million deal ($28 million in guarantees). Woody Johnson wasn’t cheap then, was he?

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

If Cimini is right the Mangold situation is gonna get interesting.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets need to lock up Mangold. It's really stupid, bordering on Terry Bradway stupid, for them to go into the next offseason with as many balls up in the air as it looks like they're going to have.

Losing Nick Mangold is the end of the Super Bowl window for this team unless the Jets get very lucky with his replacement.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Revis has 3 more years on his friggin contract... Mangold deserves a new contract before him!!!

5. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I agree on Mangold, particularly because the Jets have not done anything in the draft to provide back-up support for the center or guard position. I was hoping the Jets would've found a C/G in the last draft to be there just in case Mangold gets injured (an event that would be as disastrous as an injury to Sanchez or Revis).

Since they didn't address the position in any of the past 3 offseasons, they really need to consider solving the Mangold issue this year.

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Ignoring you negative nancies, here's the best part of the article:

“When we first started throwing, when we had a ‘9’ route, I launched it about as far as I could … He’s running, looking up at the ball, takes his eyes off the ball, gets into another gear, looks back up, late hands, tracks the ball … (Completion). He just knew. I mean, you don’t coach that. He’s unbelievable.”

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I dont like that. We need to get at the worst 2/4 of these guys signed into long term contracts, or we will be fucked trying to resign holmes, edwards, cromartie, mangold, harris, and brick.

thats impossible. we will lose atleast 2-3 of these guys if we have to sign all of them after 2010

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

You can't think Positive thoughts! thats just plain stupid badger the world is ending didnt you get the memo???

in all seriousness im very happy sanchez is incredibly excited to have Holmes around...

and have some faith in the organization... before Cimini went to ESPN nobody around here listened to a word he said. why start now?

im sure all of a sudden he feels pressured to do his job now that he is at the almighty (rolls eyes) ESPN, in a month he will be back to his old writing style, don't worry....

#8 nyjetsrule, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  9. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Don't worry it is Cimini speculating out his ass.

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This is so retarded, how do you promise a player with 3 years left on his contract a new deal and not even entertain the notion of re-signing a player in the final year of his contract. What the hell is Tanny thinking?

11. skeleton_frames

Either Holmes or Edwards and Cro are probably gone. D'Brick still has time left on his deal. Doesn't need to be signed next summer. He might be unhappy, but he also may have a ring.

The Jets have to lock up Edwards or Holmes, Harris and Mangold. The rest can wait.

At the end of the day, it's bidness. Tanny's too smart to go around handing out bags of Woody's cash when he doesn't even know what the cap's going to look like.

12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Lets see what Mangold does this week with the mini camp. I hope Nick does not show up this week so the Jets wake the hell up and take care of this guy. He was tight with Faneca and he saw what happended there so I think he's a milatant and will hold out in traning camp and really screw things up for us. Pay Revis and Mangold, and worry about the other 2 next year. Regardless of what the cap is, you can pay these 2 what they are worth and make decisions with everyone else once the smoke clears. This guy is gonna be a problem and we can't win without him, not after losing Faneca

13. raphac

raphac New Member

This is encouraging, Im sure he's been studying his film inside and out trying to get better and he wont put up a similar show this year, if he improves throwing to the left, then we are gunna have it made.

Wow, I had no idea Holmes was that good after the catch, and from the stats he does more than cotchery and thats saying something, it seems like all of cotch's yards come after the catch, I think Im gunna like this guy.

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Expect to see a ton of WR screens this season (not that it's a bad thing).

If Sanchez develops the way we all think he will then the sky's the limit for the passing game

15. raphac

raphac New Member

I def. think we need to use more screens, and we've got the artillery to make it work, plus maybe it would help him progress throwing to the left by easing into it with short passes and moving on from there.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Mangold and Harris are the priorities. Revis has 3 years and can be franchised every year after that if he gets too greedy. Now having Edwards, Cromartie and Holmes fight for a new contract will be interesting. Then the D'Brick, Keller, Greene will all be at Tannebaum door. I can't wait to see this team play this season it should be exciting. If the offense can score at least 21 points we will do some damage.