Sanchez vs. Henne-- AFC East blog

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sec314, Jun 13, 2010.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of respect and enjoy Trent Dilfer on Espn so this makes me feel real good. There is a short video at the bottom if you click on the link.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/14322/another-look-at-henne-sanchez-debate

Matthew in New York City writes into the AFC East mailbag with a hot-button question:

What's the deal with your seemingly constant disdain and skepticism for Chad Henne? I feel like anytime a report or give an analysis of him that comes out in a positive manner, you're the first to say "HOLD ON" and put everyone's expectations in check. What it is about Henne that causes your consistent negative response? Seriously!

There appears to be a perception among readers I'm some sort of Henne hater. I've received notes similar to Matthew's over the past few weeks. But those reactions aren't proper. Never once have I expressed skepticism about Henne's future. In fact, I believe he will be a franchise-caliber quarterback for the Miami Dolphins and hold down the position for many years to come.

Henne
    SanchezWhere I can understand Dolfans disagreeing with my opinion regarding Henne is that I think New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will have a better second season as his team's starter.

That question has been debated on the AFC East blog a few times this spring, including in a podcast last month with Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson and me.

Williamson preferred Henne. I preferred Sanchez -- for now because he's already played in three postseason games and has a better supporting cast. I agreed with Williamson that Henne might have the better career.

For a third opinion, I spoke with ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer to get the perspective of a 14-year veteran who won a Super Bowl.

"I like Chad Henne," Dilfer said. "I think he's good player. I think he's limited athletically. I don't think he's the same type of athlete as Mark Sanchez. He's not the same type of thrower. He's kind of a fastball thrower. He doesn't have the repertoire as a football player that Mark Sanchez has. That doesn't mean he can't develop it, but that's going to take longer.

"Sanchez is the unique talent of the last five or six draft classes because he has that Alpha male personality. He has that 'it factor.' Then physically he has the sudden feet, plenty of arm, is highly accurate, was mature beyond his years as a college player. He has a distinct advantage because of his makeup, the total package, and they're supporting him in such a great way.

"He's in as good a situation -- because of who he is and what they're doing as an organization -- as you can be in with a young quarterback."

#1 sec314, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. skeleton_frames

Awesome. Even before this I liked Dilfer as a QB analyst. Seems really thorough in breaking down QBs size, make-up and arm strength. He's no Jaworski, but he's good.

I've been surprised by the number of people saying the Henne was better than Sanchez, but based on last year, I can see how they got that opinion. But then Sanchez came on in the playoffs, so we'll see.

3. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

And the Dolphin trolls come in 5...4...3...2

Let's beat this topic to death again. Sanchez proved in the playoffs he has what it takes to win in this league. Henne on the other hand has not. Him and his team choked in the last 3 games of the season. And he has had a year to sit on the sidelines and learn while Sanchez after playing only 16 college games got thrown in there and was forced to learn the game and adjust.

#3 AJayJay, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

I definitely would have preferred that this article was never posted. Same old shit is about to be argued for the 13,563,567,812,783 time this offseason. Getting old honestly. We all know Sanchez is better and I'm going to stay out of this argument.

5. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Sanchez is a better qb cause he's an alpha male? what horse shi is this?

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This topic will be debated for a long time. Henne clearly outplayed Sanchez last season and there's really no debating that unless you're looking through green goggles. He did have a year to soak in the system though.

I think this year will be a more accurate measure of which QB is better, but I'm sure it won't be the end of the debate regardless of how it turns out.

7. raphac

raphac New Member

Good ol' jaworski "kellen clemmens might be the best quarterback taken in the draft" :shit:

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Henne wasn't a rookie last year. You really can't compare the two players at this point based on what they did last year. Henne also was a 4 year starter at Michigan so he was well prepared to step in and handle the job when Chad went down. It is important to note that even in his second season he was not good enough to just take the job in training camp, having to stand in line behind a guy that we all know is not a great QB, just a good one.

Anybody who expects Henne to be better than Sanchez at this point is likely going to be disappointed in the actual results. Rookie QB's who get to play right off the bat have a fairly high potential for turning into superstars. That's not true across the board, but the people who have failed as QB's after starting as rookies have tended to fail for reasons best explained as personal difficulties, with the occasional serious injury thrown in.

9. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

"QB intangibles"

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You do know that Jaws said Kellen Clemens was the best quarterback in the 2006 class, right?

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

give jaws a break he wasn't that far off. :breakdance:

12. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Who is Henne?

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm definitely not wearing any green glasses and I can debate this all damn day.

Chad Henne clearly outplayed Mark Sanchez? What did he do to separate himself?

Henne may have thrown less picks, but he's been in the league longer - even with a year of NFL experience, he threw more INTs than TDs (12 TDs and 14 INTs).

It bothers the hell out of me that people think Henne had a good year, because he didn't.

The guy had two solid games against the Jets and everyone assumed he was going to be a good player.

I'm not saying he can't/won't develop into a solid player, but he didn't do anything in 2009 to convince me of that.

Brandon Marshall should help a little bit, but Henne still forces a lot of passes and has a lot of overthrows.

In the long run, I'll take Mark Sanchez. Trent Dilfer summed the two up perfectly.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

By any measurable stat, Henne outplayed Sanchez last year with much less at the WR position. It's not so much that Henne had a good season as it is Sanchez had a really bad season.

Dilfer is talking about how they will perform going forward and thinks Sanchez will be better. I don't disagree with his analysis.

If the Jets are to be a real contender this year, it is Sanchez who needs to make the biggest improvement. From all I've seen and read I don't doubt he will make a big improvement.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

wins? most hennes numbers came in games when his team was getting blown out and he was throwing against soft zones, check the ypa ... his season was just as avg as sanchez's

also, sanchez got braylon mid season and lost cotch for a stretch too

finally, the jets defense is waaaaay better than the fins, so henne has for more pressure to improve for his team to contend

16. WhiteShoeWillis

The Jets had the #1 defense and #1 running game in the league and nearly missed the playoffs because Sanchez played like the rookie he was. Sanchez had a better surrounding cast and that's why he had more wins. Not many wins last season could be directly correlated with Sanchez' performance (can any?). Wins is not really a good measure to use when comparing the two QB's performances last season.

This year the Fins have a better WR corps and should have a better defense with the additions of Nolan, Dansby and all the defense they drafted. Sanchez now has a year under his belt. That's part of why I think this year will be a more accurate measure of which QB is better.

17. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

we all know how sanchez's season went, but hennes was really no better

sanchez's offensive cast was not that much better for most of last year. he was missing at least cotch or edwards for half of the season

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Saying it was really no better is silly. I'm not saying he was great, but he was better than Sanchez last season. I don't know why that's so hard to admit.

I want Sanchez to be better as much as the next Jets fan, but I see that he had a better debut season.

19. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Not surprised. Dilfer has been a huge fan of Sanchez since the 2009 draft. Sanchez is his favorite young QB in the league, even over Ryan or Flacco.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, but Henne's debut season wasn't as good as Chad Pennington's debut season in 2002, and that's the point. You can't compare Chad 2002 vs Henne last season because Chad had two full seasons under his belt before he went under center. You can't compare Henne and Sanchez well at all because Henne had a full year to absorb the system and watch the NFL in action before he went under center.

It's really like apples and oranges, although obviously it doesn't look like that at first glance.