Jets hope RB McKnight can be versatile part of offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sunnygs97, Jun 12, 2010.

1. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/06/jets-hope-joe-mcknight-can-be.html#ixzz0qf1WuUD3

2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i really think hes going to be a better pro than he was at usc ... and he was pretty good

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Slightly off-topic, but Mehta looks like he'll be a nice beat writer for the Jets.

I think McKnight will make us forget Leon pretty quickly.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

The one thing McKnight has that really separates him from Leon is his size. When you have a guy like McKnight who can line up pretty much everywhere on the field it really creates a matchup problem for the defense because once that player gets good it becomes difficult to track him on every down and that's when you can hit the "home run".

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's really saying a lot. I just hope he can do some of the things Leon could. If he can provide a legit passing threat out of the backfield it will be very nice.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

+1. I can't wait to see him on the field. His versatility is a weapon that can scare opposing DCs for years.
    He's still pretty small(skinny) for a back but he could put more on his frame than Leon ever could.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

A year to learn behind LT and to put on some of that desired weight will be helpful in that.

I love the McKnight pick. It moved another contract issue in Leon and allowed us to get younger depth at RB. He and Green should provide a very good running game for a number of years for us.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Joe McKnight can line up in the slot. Leon Washington can't.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Leon Washington could run, Joe McKnight... we'll see

10. WhiteShoeWillis

That's funny because I've seen Leon in the slot as a Jet.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think McKnight will be a very good player for us, I just have a feeling about him

12. CatoTheElder

McKnight has the ability to play the slot on a consistent basis as a true WR. With Leon, the CS would line him up in the slot to run simple underneath routes or for middle screens.

McKnight has the ability to go deep on a consistent basis out the slot. We could see him running skinny posts and seam routes maybe 5-8 plays per game.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

Do you really thing he'll see that much slot work with our receiving corps? I'm glad he's a big receiving threat, we missed that after Leon went down.

14. CatoTheElder

I'm saying he has the ability. Schottenheimer said he doesn't have a defined role for McKnight yet so we'll probably be seeing him at HB and WR. If we're expanding the passing game than he could see the field that much in that role. If we're sticking with ground and pound than probably not.

If he can pick the role up, it could minimize the loss of Holmes for the first four games and the transitional pains in weeks 5 and 6.

If I'm Schottenheimer, then I would be looking for every opportunity I could find to put as much talent on the field for one play. Of course, this all depends on how heavy the offense relies on the run vs. the pass.

15. raphac

raphac New Member

Can everybody stop mentioning how great manish mehta is? every damn article "real stand up job by manish" "MM is soo much better"....we get it, now stop the dick riding, he's a good writer ok.

anyway, Mcknight is gunna be a stud, I hope he keeps learning, I think its smart to teach him what Bush does wrong since he's been compared to him his whole career, it will make him want to be better so I think he`ll master Bush's mistakes.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I always knew Rich Cimini was a TGG member.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Joe McKnight is a far more versatile receiver than Leon Washington. They're not even on the same level.

McKnight isn't a one-trick pony at receiver like Washington was. All LW could do was catch screens, while JM actually has the size to run every route on the tree.

Washington was a hell of a kick returner and a very good change of pace back. McKnight should be used in different ways.

I think he'll be in the running to return punts and he'll be a package player this season. We'll probably see him play sparingly early on.

#17 Mr Electric, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  18. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Hopefully McKnight pans out, he could be a steal in the 4th round.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

It's only a matter of time.
    Once he writes an article criticizing the JETS he will be known as the most horrible writer EVER :lol:

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

mcknight is going to be s.g. this year.inactive for half the season and fresh legs for december january and hopefully febuary.