Jets Already Have a 'wink-n-nod' Agreement W/ Brunell? (ESPNCIMINI)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JfaulkNYJ, May 27, 2010.

1. Woodhead77

Woodhead77 New Member

Brunell likely to become a Jet, eventually

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/brunell-likely-to-become-a-jet-eventually/

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 5:53 PM ET
    In April there was mutual interest between the Jets and free agent quarterback Mark Brunell, but the Jets couldn't sign Brunell because of the "Final Eight Plan."

But the Final Eight restriction (which says the eight teams that played in the divisional round of the playoffs can only sign as many unrestricted free agents as they lose) is lifted on July 22. And Brunell is likely to become a Jet after that.

Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports that there's a feeling around the Jets that it's only a matter of time before Brunell signs with the team. The Jets and Brunell can't actually agree to a contract right now, but the team may have quietly assured Brunell that he'll get an offer on July 22, and Brunell may be willing to wait until then.

So by the time training camp starts, Brunell may be the backup to Mark Sanchez, and Kellen Clemens may be the odd man out. Clemens, a 2006 second-round pick, has said he'd like to go somewhere else because he'd like to compete for a starting job. According to Cimini, Clemens knows the writing is on the wall for him in New York.

2. Woodhead77

Woodhead77 New Member

Ahh I didnt see Jfaulk's post, Can a mod merge this?

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Here's to hoping Brunell has a similar season in 2010 as he did in 2009- have a steady grip of the clipboard through 15 games, start a meaningless game in Week 17, and then get a Super Bowl ring.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If anyone but Sanchez takes anything but minimal insignificant snaps in 2010, chances are our season is done before it started anyway.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, if Sanchez were to miss more than three games, the Jets would likely be in big trouble. Brunell's arm is almost shot at this point, but he's savvy enough to get them through a few weeks I think.

6. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

With all the pieces in place for a SB run, I would still feel confident in Mark Brunell having to manage this team if (god forbid) Sanchez goes down, way more confidence than in Clemens.

7. JetLagInCa

JetLagInCa Active Member

What was the last time we actually had a back-up QB you felt comfortable with? I can name you all the ones I NEVER cared for, with KC the most recent in chronologicial order.

8. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

EDIT: nvm....

9. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Brunell seems more of a coach to me at this point in his career. Recently he has been very open to his future in the NFL, and he has said he wants to coach.

I haven't seen the guy play/start seasons in 5 years I think. If Mark would go down I would be alot more comfortable with Marc Bulger stepping in though.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Brunell started a game last year. It was a meaningless game, but he still started game.

The last time he was a first string quarterback was in 2006, when he started for Washington Redskins. He actually had pretty good stats, even though the Skins were horrible that year.

Marc Bulger has thrown more INTs than TDs in three straight seasons.

11. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Completely agree:up:

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I just so hope we don't keep 4 QBs this time around...! Goodye Clemens and O'connell...

13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Yeah with a pretty godawful team. No doubt he would have a better chance here.

14. All Star

All Star Active Member

Brunell has thrown 30 passes from 2007 through 2009.

Eh.

He doesn't excite me.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

In 2005, Brunell took the Redskins to the playoffs.

When's the last time Bulger's led a team to the playoffs? I'll tell you: 2004.

Don't blame the team. He was a big part of St. Louis' downfall.

The guy's become extremely overrated over his career. I'm looking at his stats right now - he had one very good season throughout his eight year career.

Brunell is more experienced and he takes better care of the football.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...jesus.

Do you guys know who Mark Sanchez is?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He's not supposed to excite you. They want him as a mentor, not a quarterback. What's not to understand about this situation?

18. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Yeah your right. I just looked at each teams stats, Bulger, and Brunell's too.

19. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if Brunell has anything left if he actually had to play. I'd much rather go with Clemens in a game than Brunell.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If they want him as a mentor and not as a player why don't they just bring him in as an assistant QB coach? He's not going to see the field anyways...