Possibility of Jets blackout on local TV

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, May 13, 2010.

1. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

This will not happen, it just wont, even if we dont sell out tickets

2. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

I'd shoot myself in the face if the Jets blackout on local TV. These are PSL season tickets that are unsold. Selling 20k game tickets would be a cake walk in this area. I'm sure the Jets would rather sell a season ticket than a game ticket, but getting a game to sell out should be a cake walk.

3. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

From what I understand, the team needs to sell the non-premium seats, which is the $4K and $5K PSL in order to qualify for the blackout rules.

However, I heard on wfan this morning, if Woody deems these seats "not for sale", then the Jets could tag however many seats they want until they make the percentage to avoid blackouts...Not sure how true this statement is considering it came from the boomer and carton show...

4. Coach K

Coach K New Member

maybe the only thing that would make living down here a positive for once. fuckin lame though would be a tremendous black eye on the Jets PR

5. JETSJETSJETS17

JETSJETSJETS17 Well-Known Member

Al Hughes...

6. ........

........ Trolls

Absolutely absurd. Even though I'd be able to continue to watch games, I'd be absolutely furious if the Jets allowed the stadium to go undersold in THIS season because of an adherence to ridiculous PSL prices in this economic climate.

I do agree with Alio, though, that the West Side Stadium would have sold out easily. That doesn't mean, however, that it would have been traditional Jets fans going to the games.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

While a blackout would not affect me since I live way out of the NY/NJ/CT viewing area plain common sense would say even if the PSLs are all not sold the NFL & Woody will come up with plan B or C or D to insure the home games are stilled televised since the amount of revenue ALL the NFL owners would lose is far to great to allow them to have that happen

8. GreenHornet27

GreenHornet27 New Member

If it were "traditional" Jets fans who were against the building of a West Side Yard Stadium, they really need to have their heads examined. I and many fans have long since been willing to drive, bus, and now train from Queens and Long Island to freakin' dirty jersey of all places to pay to see these bums, when they were bums.

And yet, we didn't object to them staying put. However, having the ability to be the only team in Manhattan, and to field more events than imaginable in the stadium would have been a true reward for the ownership, the franchise and the fans, as well as the city. So like it was said earlier, you got what you wanted, and now you don't want it?

If the team gets blacked out, I for one will not purchase any tickets on principle, and to go even further I will be boycotting any and all Johnson & Johnson products that we currently use in my house for my daughter.

Wally Wurts did the same thing to the Blackhawks in Chicago. The stadium was empty and fans stopped caring because he blacked them out on local tv. His attitude was if you want to see his teams you will pay for the tickets. Pretty much the same attitude Woody has. Chicago is full of die hard loyal fans for all of their teams. This approach did nothing for the franchise. It nearly ruined it. He died and his son took over and put them back on the air. Suddenly the tickets started selling again. Now the stadium is usually sold out.

If the Jets black out, it will first affect the fan base. But ultimately it will affect the franchise and the ownership. Because it will turn off plenty of fans who maybe only go to one or two games a season. They will no longer go. They will lose interest because they will have to follow some other team on Sundays. It is sad. The fans FINALLY have something to look forward to with this franchise, and there is a good chance they won't get to enjoy it.

F*%# you Woody, you D*$@!

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Twenty thousand of them aren't going anyway. Plus, those suites and premium field level seats are sold. Those aren't traditional Jets fans.

All we did was screw ourselves out of our own home in a complex that we could have been proud of.

10. mets18

mets18 New Member

The West Side stadium would have been more expensive and the cost would have been all Jets rather than split with the Giants. The PSLs would have been more expensive.

11. tgd666

tgd666 Member

--------------

12. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

New Jersey is a great state. Quit watching the Jersey Shore.

13. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Here's our problem...

Jets fans don't view their team as a "product".

14. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

ALL of this!

15. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

(a) Anybody who doesn't think a West Side stadium would have been great for the Jets and for us fans honestly just isn't a smart person. It would have also been great for the city and its bid for the olympics (which would obviously be HUGE for New York). I haven't heard an argument against the stadium which holds any water at all.

(b) This would have to be an absolutely unique situation if we get blacked out. I don't think a team's fans have ever been blacked out before for the team being unable to sell seats which cost 30,000 dollars before you even pay for the tickets. It would be one of the most embarrassing moments in NY sports history, if not THE most embarrassing moment.

(c) This kills me inside. Finally the Jets are looking like a team that could turn into a powerhouse in the coming decade, and now this shit happens, in addition to there being a possible lockout looming (although I think theres no chance of that happening; too many people lose money). I hate to say it but, "same old Jets". Finding a way to disappoint their fanbase.

(d) Logically, I would have to make the prediction right now that this won't end up happening. If come mid-July the situation is the same, I think Woody would start selling single game tickets because losing the biggest television market in the world would be one of the worst PR moves in sports history, and would be very "bad for business". I don't want to hear about the fact that the PSLs are at "market value". The market isn't at "market value", thus the PSLs are intrinsically ridiculously priced.

16. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

If i have to be lucky enough to find, and then watch choppy-ass web-streams of Jets games on sundays instead of in HD on my 55 inch plasma im going to be fucking pissed. I dont even know what my dad, and most of my friends who arent tech-savy enough to know that games are streamed on the internet are gonna do when they go to turn on the tv sunday afternoons and see that there's no Jets on. wtf woody, this is depressing.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

First of all, you like I, have nothing but speculation to base that on.

Second, as I said in my post, even if the PSLs were of comparable price, those seats would have had more value to the PSL holder. They would have been single-ownership seats. Therefore, the PSL holder would have had the right to buy and resell tickets to any event held in that complex. That's an investment. One that allows the holder to recoup all of the initial investment.

This new stadium will not have the same appeal as one in Manhattan, including multiple Super Bowls, extensions to the NY Auto Show, new annual events created to utilize the venue of a joint WSS/Jacob Javits Center.

As for the PSLs, they wouldn't have been more expensive, NY would have fronted the Jets more of the cost than Jersey gave the Jets/Giants.

18. mets18

mets18 New Member

Even if NY fronted more than NJ did the Jets would still be paying more. Hypothetical numbers here only. NJ 10% Jets 40% Giants 40%. NY 50% Jets 50%. 50% is more than 40%.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is not the fault of the Jets but the Jets fan. The Giants had a PSl on every seat in the stadium and aren't having this problem, same goes for many other teams throughout the league. Yet here we are on the verge of being a perenial contender and we can't sell out the stadium, pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Oh and anybody that doesn't think there would have been a PSL in NY is out of their mind crazy, they would have been double the cost if not more.

20. joejets1

joejets1 Member

I don't remember the cost of the stadium but if Woody is charging PSLs now in a economic climate that is worse then it was during the West Side Stadium process he definitly would have charged PSLs.

It isn't the Jets faul that they couldnt get a stadium in NYC, the Dolans lobbied against it because it would take away concerts, and other live events from MSG which would cost them money. Also you had all these liberals protesting that were worried that building a stadium in Manahattan would over pollute this area.

The only reason I think the city thought about building a stadium was so they could get the 2012 Olympics, and didnt really care why they were building a stadium for in the long term.