Jahri Evans gets $56.7 million/7 years

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ........, May 5, 2010.

1. ........

........ Trolls

More wonderful news as far as our young players are concerned. Contracts are escalating, as they frequently do, but it's tough to argue that Evans merits this kind of money. The ONLY chance we had to keep our line intact, let alone other parts of the team, was to get rid of Faneca and hopefully find Woody's replacement. We accomplished both.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5165219

2. Coach K

Coach K New Member

wow............the guys a great player but literally not that great.

damn these contracts are getting out of control. a few years ago that was a franchise QB contract.

all we can do is hope that Brick and Mangolds agents dont hold us hostage even though with their clients I would lol.

god damn. dont even want to think what itll cost to keep Revis.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

If I was Patrick Willis i would be Pissed at Evans deal. Willis is the best ILB/MLB in the game right now, and some middle of the upper echelon guard gets a bigger deal? OUCH

yes I realize Willis gets more per year... but the fact of the matter still remains

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

NFL Salaries are out of control.

Eventually the bubble will burst......it can't go on forever.

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

How did they give them that kind of money!? Weren't they still on their rookie deals? How did they go around the 30% rule!?

PS 8.1 mill for a freakin' RG?! God they are stupid down there in NO... I wonder how much money Mangold is going to ask for now!

#5 Mambo9, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Evans is a great player but lol this contract is just stupid. Between Mangold and Brick the Jets are fucked if this is the guideline their agents are going to use, and they will if they are any good. (The agents)

7. Ten

Ten Active Member

It's pretty rare to see a player see out all of a 7 year deal without it being restructured,reduced,extended or terminated.

Like all contracts,you don't know how much money he is actually going to get for it till he actually gets the money paid in.

8. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

It seems a bit daft of the owners to sanction these sorts of contracts as they move into serious negotiations regarding the next CBA - they have no choice but to agree to a significant cap increase if contracts like this are going to become the norm. Under the previous cap rules, giving a player like Jahri Evans this sort of money means you would have no choice but to compromise other areas significantly to get inside the cap limits.

9. la2miami

la2miami New Member

I've never even heard of this guy, to be honest.

But it does say $19 million in the first year, which is smart, considering this one is uncapped.

Like someone mentioned a couple posts up, it's rare to see all 7 yrs played out.

$19 million next year though... wow.

10. Johnny English

Big football fan, are you?

11. ........

........ Trolls

That number has to include his signing bonus. The CBA explicitly forbids any contracts signed in an uncapped year which include more than a 30% DECREASE per season as determined by the first year value. If he gets 25 million over the first 3 years, he can't see 19 million of it in actual salary value that first year.

Still that means he's seeing about 15 million at least in a signing bonus. Crazy for a guard.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

lol this reminds me of madden where the stupid offensive linemen ask for so much money...guess madden's pretty realistic after all

13. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Something very interesting below from Rotoworld about this;

Saints agreed to terms with RG Jahri Evans on a seven-year, $56.7 million contract.

Averaging $8.1 million annually, the deal makes Evans the richest guard in NFL history. A four-year starter without a single missed game in his career, Evans earned first-team All-Pro honors in 2009. According to Pro Football Focus' metrics, he was the league's best all-around guard and No. 2 run-blocking interior lineman, behind only Jets C Nick Mangold. The new contract puts Evans under control through his age-34 season. Guards have lengthy shelf lives, so it looks to be a worthwhile investment for both sides.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Mangold's deal will easily avg 8.5 mill per season... thanks to the fucking Saints!

15. la2miami

la2miami New Member

Ya, I like to think so.

Are you going to sit here and tell me you know all about every player from every team or you just want to bust my balls for being a Fin fan? =)

16. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Evans is the best guard in the nfl, by a pretty decent margin.

17. la2miami

la2miami New Member

oops double post

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Willis got a 5 year deal, Evans got a 7 year deal.

19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

No, Faneca is! :drunk::drunk::drunk:

20. Johnny English

Arguably the best guard in the NFL who, along with Carl Nicks, was instrumental in the Saints winning the Superbowl last season. We're not talking about a third stringer in Kansas here.