Same. Old. Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOWIE, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

If they listened to KOWIE, the Jets would eventually be a bunch of old guys that are best friends......and suck.

The name of the game is to get rid of players BEFORE they start to fade, not after. That was their thinking on Jones and Faneca. Just like stocks, you want to sell them before they drop, not after. That's their bet on those two.

Even though Taylor is old, he is a significant upgrade over what we had. Feely was sent packing strictly to allow $$ and space for Taylor to come in. Washington had too many negatives (douche agent, coming off major injury, minimal hope of keeping after next year) and only a hope of returning to his previous form.

We also have to keep in mind the guys we'll HAVE to re-sign soon. Guys we can't do without. Revis, Mangold, Harris, etc.

I fully expect there to be some turnover AFTER this year too. There will probably be someone that won't pan out that we thought would. And that's OK. But I feel for the first time in a LONG time that this team has direction and is going balls to the wall to put a Super Bowl contender out there without mortgaging the farm like the Redskins have done in past years.

2. illmatic

illmatic New Member

Far from the same old Jets...this was very Pats like...thinking about the future, and treating it like a business. Don't spend money unnecessarily on a player not performing up to the standards that their salary calls for. In the end you gotta build your team for the future as well as the upcoming year in order to avoid "rebuilding" like the bills. My bigger fear is that the Jets need to have a higher % hit rate on draft picks given the fact that they are drafting fewer players...that to me is a much bigger issue.

3. CalgaryJet

CalgaryJet Member

I couldnt agree more... Im not going to lie, I havent been born long enough to say that i have gone through all the shitty years of being a jets fan. however, this SOJ is just plan bs that was created by fans and the only people that can get rid of it are fans themselves. If we stop talking about it it will go away. be excited that we have a very talented team.

and with everyone bitching about the draft picks, there are no guarantees, if there were i dont think players like james harrison would go undrafted year after year. There is luck involved believe it or not.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't care that they cut Faneca, I care that they cut him now and not later this summer.

5. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Same old Jets? That's absolutely retarded. The Same Old Jets wouldn't have made all the moves we made over the offseason.

Whether or not you agree with cutting Faneca, this team is still better than our 2009 team.

Improvement? Definitely not a S.O.J quality.

6. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Jason, who runs nyjetscap.com, at JetNation said a few interesting things: 1) Cutting Faneca allows the Jets not only to clear 2.5 mil in cap space, but every dollar he gets paid on his next contract is a net subtraction on the guaranteed we owe him and 2)We've already taken the Faneca money and re-structured payments to Vernon Gholston, whose cash is "completely off the books at this point" according to Jason

Looks like this move was a win from the accounting side of things.

7. ........

........ Trolls

I've been trying to argue that offset language in Faneca's contract would diminish Woody's responsibility, but I was unable to find proof related directly to the situation. Glad to have Jason say that. He's a very reliable source.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Tanny was a genius accountant before he was the GM. The guy knows how to get it done.

Having Gholston paid off and easier to cut makes everything a lot easier. Then the Jets can re-sign more of their top veterans.... I can't believe Mangold and Brick are veterans already.

9. ........

........ Trolls

This was my take until I realized that if Faneca got hurt in camp, we'd have to guarantee his full contract for the year. He'd have been cut by minicamp if he hadn't been cut this weekend.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

This thread is so embarrassing its ridiculous.

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I prefer SoJs = Sons of Jets

12. JetsFan#1

JetsFan#1 Member

Agreed. Maybe should be titled Same Ol' Jet Fans.

13. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Does this thread count as offensive material? I'm sure most of us are offended. Heh.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Believe it

Then 'just laugh'. The rest of us will try 'n go from there.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Hey look, I found some of the Same Old Jets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Why don't you close it?

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

So, you mean like 2005?
    :smile:

Cutting an underproforming G like Faneca is the type of move Bradway could or would not make. Most sacks given up by a guard last season on the team that had the least ammount of passing attempts. I don't get the love for him at all.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Faneca is best suited to block for a pocket passer. Mark Sanchez has a quick rollout that Faneca was hopeless to keep up with. He could never hold a block when MS rolled to his side. Yes, he gave up 6.5 sacks. He also got Sanchez pressured many more times that ended up making him either throw the ball away or get picked off.

Alan Faneca was the weak link on our O-line last season, run-blocking or no run-blocking. And having a pulling center like Mangold gave us the freedom to go young at the LG position.

As far as the 5mil, the Jets used that as an insurance policy to keep Alan here until they either found a suitable replacement in FA or the draft, or decided to keep the old man here one more season.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

On newyorkjets.com

We pay Faneca 5 million no matter what, he gets to double dip as they put it.

From what I read, he gets 5.25 million from the Jets no matter what.

by Mark Miller

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Bears-and-Texans-want-Faneca-?urn=nfl,236645

#119 MadBacker Prime, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

But he mayd da pro bole!