New York Jets to cut Faneca....per NJ.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, Apr 24, 2010.

1. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

This is insane, unless he is brought back for less. Why?

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

For the kind of money he gets, he should be a security blanket for the Sanchise - not a liability.

3. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Why? Because he's no longer a good player.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Ducasse is a raw talent. That's why we're wondering whether Slauson has moved along far enough that they feel confident that one of them will step into the spot. Most teams feel Ducasse needs at least a year to develop. I'd hate to think that our FO is automatically assuming he's a starter without testing the veracity of that notion. Not when we're a potential SB contender.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Because Slauson is probably better than him at this point.

6. 624

624 Banned

Faneca allowed the most sacks out of any Guard in the NFL last season, and was only mediocre in run blocking.

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I guess the Jets felt Slauson/Ducasse/Turner > Faneca on the decline..

8. rillo

rillo New Member

Well said.

9. bobby2times

bobby2times Member

I dont know how I feel. Faneca was pure shit pass blocking but was a mauler run blocking.

10. 624

624 Banned

He wasn't even as good as advertised run blocking and we are going to be a more balanced offense this year.

11. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

This is the first Mike T move in a while I strongly disagree with, though we all knew it was coming. Line chemistry means a lot - we saw it when Kendall left. I don't feel comfortable with all with the fill-ins on the roster, be it Ducasse, who's still very raw and shouldn't be starting right away, Slauson, or Hunter. It doesn't make sense at all to me to cut someone like this in an uncapped year, and if the Lombardi report about Woody forcing them to do this to sell seats is true, it makes me pretty angry. Not sure why we couldn't have just keep the line together for another year after leading the NFL in rushing, used a 2nd round pick on a position we actually needed, and drafted a guard in the first or 2nd next offseason, when Faneca could've been cut to open up cash to sign all our other UFA's. If they wanted a guard who could start now, I don't think Ducasse is the right guy. I liked the pick from the standpoint of him being able to play multiple positions, so he could be groomed at each behind our already elite line and then take over for Faneca, Woody, or Moore down the line. If they wanted a guard who could start now, however, I don't get why they didn't go with Asamoah or Jerry.

12. 624

624 Banned

Ducasse is a better prospect then Asamoah and Jerry.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Maybe there is more to this then we know.

Maybe Faneca said something to the Jets FO after we drafted Ducasse

14. PinPointPenning10

From ESPN:

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I doubt it.. this has been rumored for weeks now. And usually when there is smoke, there is fire.

16. PinPointPenning10

I agree, but in terms of somebody who is ready to come in and start right now, I think Ducasse is much rawer than those two, while having more potential.

17. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

I don't see anywhere that faneca is being reported as cut. Nothing official

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's foolish to assume eithr Slauson or Ducasse will start this year, one will almost definitely, but it'll be whoever wins the job this year.

AS for Chemistry being a fan thing, not so much on the O-Line...you've got to know the person next to you in the trenches and the learned over time ability to know what each other are going to do and trust that they'll do it....that's chemistry and teamwork in action and noplace in sports does it show, or is as dependent, as it is on the O-line in Football.

19. Sinjz

Sinjz Active Member

Here's the follow up on nj.com. Nothing official yet, anonymous source, etc.... I hope it's not true.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/04/jets_cut_pro_bowl_guard_alan_f.html

20. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

Their are a few reasons why I dont like the move, and a few reasons I like the move.

I don't like it because I'm not sure we are ready to take the training wheels off of the young offensive skill players just yet. Also I'm not sure how good Callahan actually is as an O line coach I mean he has had so much talent to work with and this is a team that really relies on the O line, more so than just pass protection.

However, Faneca is old and has declined in play, in addition we need money to sign our younger players which means we have to make cuts somewhere. If this is the case than so be it.

Ultimately I trust Mr.T to make the right decision, he hasnt proved us to be wrong yet