Trading Up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Vorrecht, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

When Mike Tannenbaum is your GM, trading up in the draft is always a possibility. This article I found on Rotoworld got me thinking:

If Jared Odrick is on the board at 24 (5 picks ahead of the Jets). How opposed would you be to the idea of trading up with the Eagles (who hold the 24th pick) to draft Jared Odrick before the Ravens have the opportunity to get their hands on him? Keep in mind that besides Shaun Ellis (32), we have next to nothing at 3-4 DE besides a couple former undrafted free agents (Mike DeVito and Ropati Pitoitua). Marques Douglas could be brought back but he's 33 and should not be a starter anymore.

We could hold on and wait until the 2nd round to draft a D-lineman but then we might not get someone that could start right away for us. Right now, we don't have someone that can start across from Ellis and eventually become his successor. To me, this looks like good value as it should only cost our 1st and an early 4th. Unfortunately, we don't have a pick in that area. We have a late 2nd and then a late 4th. Tell me what you think.

2. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

If we get our guy and don't give up too much I am ready to move up. I wouldn't move up in the top 15 though because we would have to give up to much but open to move up a couple of spots!

3. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I don't think the Jets are going to give up any picks to trade up for him. Maybe someone else.

4. mystikol

mystikol New Member

There are several other DEs that could make an impact in their rookie years who will be available into the 2nd round (based on what I've read). So, he's probably not worth trading up for, even though he does look like a nice spec.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Oh, another thread about trading up in the draft. Sweet.

6. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Feel free to post some of your ideas regarding the draft. If you have any.

7. CatoTheElder

For the 148699143th time: Stay put. This draft is too deep to trade away picks when just about every one of them could be a quality contributor, especially when we only had 3 fucking picks last season.

8. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Do you really think that's going to happen or do you just want that to happen. Based on Tanny's track record I'd guess the latter.

I intended this thread for conjecture based on what people think Tanny will do, not what we want him to do.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

If we were to move up for anyone it would be Earl Thomas. I think there are enough 3-4 players we can draft by staying put at 29 or dropping back a few slots...

That said based on everything I am reading Odrick might not make it to 10... The way i am understanding things, the browns will either go with Berry at 7 or Odrick is the second most likely candidate, unless of course they are secretly in love with Clausen.

But after cleveland, there is Denver, Miami, Pittsburgh, New England, Green Bay Baltimore, Dallas and San Deigo as 3-4 teams who could use Odrick before us at 29, there is no way Odrick drops to us at 29, and that doesnt even count teams who might be looking to use him as a 4-3 tackle. Don't be surprised to see him drafted before 20.

10. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Jared Odrick definitely has a lot of potential suitors. So does Earl Thomas, I hear some teams are considering him as a corner now (as well as a safety).

As for the Browns - I see them gearing up to draft a DB (probably Eric Berry or Joe Haden if available)

11. steve-jets08

steve-jets08 New Member

quick note people, we all know the jets had 3 picks last year , get ready for the same this year cuz they are gonna trade up again

12. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

let them take him and make an offer to Pryce when he hits the market...

13. CatoTheElder

I think he looks at the age at DE, LG and RT, the major drop off at WR talent after Cotchery and Edwards, the injury potential at NT and running back the lack of a starter at SS and realizes that if he fucks this up due to injury then he is going to be the most maligned GM in the AFC without an owner's stake in the team.

EDIT: So much for the WR problem.

#13 CatoTheElder, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  14. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

With the way we've been trading for good young players in areas of need during the offseason, I'm thinking we're gonna trade up for someone the scouts like (please be Graham!)

15. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

I would trade up for Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Brandon Graham, or Dan Williams.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

what is with you and trading up?

17. jgangstahippie7:18

Jets Receive:
    Chad Ochocinco
    Bengals 1st Rounder

Bengals Receive:
    Vernon Gholston

Jets trade two 1st rounders for the #1 pick and draft Suh.

GET IT DONE TANNY!

#17 jgangstahippie7:18, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Well I'll just add to this thread as it seems to be the most appropriate open thread :)

With the Jets obtaining Holmes the teams biggest need is now, in my mind, pass rush. So I'll go with two scenarios, neither of which involve a trade up.

As things stand today. my first draft choice would probably be an Outside linebacker.
    My choices there, in order of my preference.
    Sergio Kindle
    Jerry Hughes
    Sean Witherspoon
    Ricky Sapp

Now if we obtain Taylor then I'd probably make the DL my #1 choice, otherwise I'd make it my second round choice.
    again in order
    Dunlap (won't fall that low in the second, doubt he survives the first)
    Odrick (same as above)
    Everson Griffen (same as above)
    Wooten
    Linval Joseph.
    Austen Lane

I'd be ecstatic if we got Kindle (unlikely) in the first and Wooten in the second (fairly likely). I'd be quite happy with Hughes or Sapp in Kindles place.

I like Wooten over Joseph just because I think he's abit more flexible than Linval.

as far as later rounds, 4th round I'd go either offensive line (I'm a horrible judge of line talent) or if Stuckey is available in the 4th I'd go for him as a strong safety. But we do need offensive line depth.

19. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I wouldn't trade up for Odrick, I would trade up for Graham.

20. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I'd trade up for any DB worth the price, which we probably will do -- watch.