Ready to go all in

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Vorrecht, Apr 9, 2010.

?

Which would you rather Mike Tannenbaum do?

1. Pick at 29

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Trade Up

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Trade Down

45 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

More than ever, there's absolutely no reason why we should be drafting at 29 two weeks from now. We need to trade out of that spot. In the event of the reportedly "close to done" acquisition of Jason Taylor, where's the value at 29? It would be nice if DE Jared Odrick were available there but that's unlikely based on the premium value at his position (ie. Tyson Jackson last year). After Odrick there's no value at 5-tech defensive end in the 1st round. The same thing can go for safety in this very deep class.

If we had to pick at 29 I'd go for a receiver like Golden Tate or the BPA. With those options we might as well just trade down and pick up a receiver like Damian Williams in the 2nd. On the other hand, everyone knows Tanny loves to trade up in the 1st round for studs and has had great success doing so. This year could be no different if Rex and Tanny find a prospect that they really like (ex. WR Dez Bryant, DE Jared Odrick, or FS Earl Thomas).

In the end, I believe it's in our best present and future interest to trade down for extra picks that we can use for adding depth to some of our thinner positions. If I had to decide between trading up, however, and picking at 29... I'd go with the former simply because I don't feel like picking a sub-par player at 29 is good enough value for this team when we are trying to win a championship.

2. 624

624 Banned

I voted trade down, but it is impossible to really say unless we knew what was on the board.

3. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

I like what Green Hurricane did in his recent mock, trade down a few spots and add another 4

I would then take Linval Joseph with the early 2 and use that early 4 on a Slot WR like Manny Sanders, same as Cane

4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

+1

You can't determine what direction the Jets will go without seeing who's available at #29.

From a value standpoint, trading down like I did in my latest mock with KC, and picking up an additional Rd 4 pick.....Did you copy me GH?:)...is a great scenario.

The value of players from #25-35 is pretty constant.

There may be a team (Seattle, Buffalo, Oakland) in early/mid RD 2...that may want to trade into the Jet's slot at 29..to draft Colt McCoy ahead of the Vikes....just an idea.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's really hard for me to feel comfortable with a trade-up considering how deep this draft is.

6. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I totally agree.

Unless someone starts falling a bit whom Tannenbaum is in love with, and feels the need to trade up into the 19-25 range (I don't think we have the ammo to go much higher).

Chances are, someone of value will drop to 29.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Same. Either stay where we are or try to find a team that wants to trade up to 29. There is going to be someone there that the Jets can use. This draft is too deep to throw our picks at other teams.

8. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Agreed. Another bit of good news is that NO signed Alex Brown, so they are less likely to take a DE probably; so, it's probably more likely that we can trade down 4-12 spots and still get our choice of DEs.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

In this draft, with more reasons than any other draft in the last 10 years, is staying at 29 more appropriate two weeks from now.

10. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

I feel unless guys like Kindle Graham and Odric are gone, Tanny will stay put, hoping for a faller, and if his top guys at 29 are off the board, he'll pull the trigger to trade back.

11. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

My opinion of Tanny is that he always has his eye on at least one player heading into the draft. The draft may be deep, but if Tanny falls in love with a player he expects to go before 29, I would fully expect him to move up if the price is right.

The same holds true, though, for him trading back if he likes a guy he's confident will still be around in the 2nd.

Point being, I think Tanny is always concerned foremost with getting the player he wants, deep draft or not. It all depends on who that player is and where the FO expects him to fall.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

This year the Jets should stay put at #29 this draft is deep and we need depth. But should he trade down it should not be far definately top ten in the 2nd round. Any later than that would be a waste.

13. steve-jets08

steve-jets08 New Member

i think the reality is that they are trading up and getting 1 of 3 players----eric berry, dez bryant, or derrick morgan , so of the 3 which would u like to have the most ?

14. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Trading up for Eric Berry would cost A LOT more than trading up for Mark Sanchez was last year. No way we could afford that. As for Derrick Morgan, I don't really see how he would fit into our defense.

Dez Bryant is the most "reasonable" of those 3 but I doubt that we trade up for yet another offensive player after we did that twice last year.

I think this is going to be a defensive draft overall except for (hopefully) a slot receiver.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

none. .

16. 624

624 Banned

If we trade up for Dez Bryant I will rip my ACL's out.

17. Ten

Ten Active Member

I really hope we don't trade up,the best thing about picking this late in the first round is that the contract is actually going to be quite cheap.We can get a starter for 5 years for a good price,whcih is big considering the amount of big money contracts we need to hand out to Harris,Revis,Mangold,Edwards,D'Brick,Cromartie,Washington.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...yeah, Leon's not getting a new contract.

It'd be nice to trade out of the first and get a player like June Joseph, and then another quality player at the back end of the second.