Ricky Sapp

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Feb 1, 2010.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I like how he was called a "pass rushing son of a gun" by an NFL scout... I just don't remember if I saw it on this site... i'm too tired to go look for it.

2. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

3. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

DWare now gets his wish. Sapp a TGG Draft forum polarizing player apparently has just signed with the Jets per Rod Boone via twitter.

4. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I liked him a lot out of college but he hasnt done much as a DE maybe standing up and just rushing he can make something of himself. Not a bad signing.

5. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

6. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Another project makes it seem like OLB wont be our 1st round choice if they develop Maybin, Sapp and Westerman why got OLB in the 1st when we can get some O-line depth or an elite safety

7. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

I do not want to see the first round pick go towards o-line depth. Use that first rounder on a WR or OLB, nothing else. A guard and RT can be found in free agency or in rounds 2,3,4..

8. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Ok but say if Westerman gets his shit together, Maybin keeps getting better and Sapp turns out to be a good player why go OLB with 3 young ones already. and Pace still with 1 year left. We also will end up picking late in the 1st if we go deep in the playoffs. If thats the case then we trade down instead of going with a sure fire 2nd rounder with our 1st.

9. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

None of those three should prevent us from passing on an OLB in round 1 if we feel we have the chance to add an elite pass rusher. If we pass on an elite pass rusher because of Aaron Maybin/Westerman or Ricky fucking Sapp, I will break something.

Those guys are developmental projects, that may never work out. If we have the chance to add a guy who we feel is going to be excellent, we do it, no questions asked. If the choice is between picking a guy we really like at WR or picking a guy who we aren't sure about their pass rushing prospects at OLB, then what we have on the roster factors in. But otherwise, we just need to take the best available option, those three guys shouldnt make us pass on adding a great prospect.

10. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Thats my point most of us say no questions asked we go pass rusher. I say BPA out of WR/S/OLB/OL/even DL. Unless its Burfict, Upshaw or Jenkins I think we pass on a LB and either go another position or trade down

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

The team has showed they can go deep into the playoffs without that one dominant pass rusher. How often do rookie pass rushers, much less ones taken in the bottom 3rd of the 1st round make a huge impact?

The key to this team is the running game. Without it, the offense sputters, the defense is on the field for too long and gets exposed. If given the choice between an equal talent at RT or OLB, in the first round I'd take the offensive lineman.

12. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

Unless you are stacked at every position you never use a first rounder on depth. We can definitely use an upgrade at safety and potentially even nose tackle. I still wouldn't doubt an OLB being the first pick, if you can get a guy who can shine and start from day one, and be a 3 down backer you do it. From there you have Westerman and Maybin continue to be situational pass rushers when we go with our one and two defensive linemen fronts.

13. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Thank you. I'm inclined to even say if Greene doesn't get consistent, and no one say he is, I'd go for an elite running back prospect lets say we miss the playoffs due to poor offensive efficiency, If Trent Richardson is available I'd grab him in a heartbeat and move Greene and let McKnight be our 3rd down back.

Our biggest problem this year has been consistent running game. We barely get to the 2nd level. I'd go Trent Richardson in the 1st and Mike Adams in the 2nd and not look back.

If we need to go pass rusher or WR we can always get value in rounds 3 and 4 not to mention we already have young guys with the team who can develop especially having a head start with the team Eron Riley can be just as effective as any WR not named Blackmon, Jeffrey or Floyd and if the choice is between Nick Toon or Trent Richardson give me Trent. And if we gotta choose between Sanu or Adams give me Adams

14. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

I find it weird that all the reports pre NFL say he is a good guy, team player, etc, etc. And then he quit on the eagles.

Either something here is missing or Sapp figured out the NFL wasn't for him.

15. 624

624 Banned

There are no elite safeties in this draft.

16. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

just watched some tape on him on youtube. Obviously its an extremely small sample size but it seems like he would have serious problems getting off blocks in the NFL. Most of his pressure come off pure speed. Don't get me wrong his first step is fast but don't expect Sapp to see the field any time soon.

17. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

The concept of an elite safety is extremely off.

I'm not in any way saying your wrong about the draft, but everyone thinks that Troy Polamalu is an elite "safety" when in reality I don't even think the position he plays has a name.

We all desire a safety who can hit and play coverage (myself included) but in actuality there are very few safeties who have the skill set to do that.

How many can you name in the league right now who can do both?

The few being
    Reed
    Polamalu
    Nick Collins
    Eric Berry
    Tyvon Branch (I don't watch enough of the Raiders to make a definite statement about this)
    Louis Delmas
    OJ Otagwe
    Yeremiah Bell (not saying he is elite but he does a good job at doing both)

Guys like Wilson, Dawkins, Roy Williams, John lynch, etc they weren't coverage guys they were known for their abilities to tackle and blitz. This coveted safety we keep saying we need only comes around once in a while. I'm not saying Leonhard and Eric Smith are Great, but I think some of us need to curb our expectations.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

His track record isn't impressive.......The Ghost, Vince Ogbo.....

19. Sir

Sir New Member

Trent Richardson is arguably a top 10 talent, and the best back to come out in years while Nick toon is a 2nd to 3rd round prospect. The comparison of taking one instead of the other makes no sense at all.

We will not be able to even sniff Richardson unless we move up into the top 15 at the very least, and that would not be smart based on what we'd have to give up.

20. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Lets say we dont go OLB. We wont go RT its too early. Is there a S worth a 1st Rounder. With the way offenses are primary for the this new NFL Floyd, Jeffrey and Blackmon are gonna be gone early. Toon and Sanu are the next options. Running Backs are easily more valuable in later rounds and the only teams I see going RB in the 1st round are Cleveland but they need a WR and a LB so thats what they go in the 1st round. Cincinnati could go RB but they need a CB and a linemen they can re-sign Benson for cheap and go RB in the later rounds(LaMichael James if he comes out). Maybe Detroit but they need O-Line help bad to protect Stafford so they definitely go O-Line every other team has a running back or needs a QB or Line help so they wouldn't go RB. You build your line 1st then you get your QB or RB.

The 1st RB taken last year was Mark Ingram #28. The 1st 27 picks were 4 QB's, 10 D-Linemen and 1 LB, 2 CB, 6 O-Lineman and 3 WR.

Most teams are building with their lines, a talented QB, athletic WR and a corner to shut down WR.

Our team is the complete opposite. We want an elite defense and a stout running game. Trent Richardson is not Adrian Peterson he isnt even Mark Ingram but he is good and I feel if Greene doesnt show us more consistency and we are in a position to draft Richardson and there isnt a 1st round worthy LB, Lineman and WR available then we go with Trent and trade Green for a 4th or 5th and have Richardson as our primary back and McKnight as our 3rd down guy.