PFT: Leon Washington market could heat up soon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Mar 7, 2010.

1. GreenBleeder

GreenBleeder Member

Leon Washington's biggest value

I read through parts of that PFT (which is a rag) post on the interest around the NFL in Leon Washington. First of all, wow did that post get out of hand, it really took off, just not sure about what.

What the Jets missed most this year, was the screen game. We could not run a successful screen without Leon. With Leon the Jets were a great screen offense. Actually, that was the only thing they were really good at. Without Leon that was gone. I don't remember one successful screen play. Leon also created huge mismatches as a receiver when he would be lined up on LB's. Leon also was very good picking up blitzes.

The first thing we know is that Woodhead had every opportunity to be the 3rd down back and did nothing with it. If they do lose Leon, he will need to be replaced by a lot more that Danny Woodhead. If I were a GM of a team and my docs told me that his leg will recover, I would sign him for a 2nd round pick any day. Then the Jets will need to find an ample replacement, to replace their biggest playmaker.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

They just let their experienced backup go, remember if Sorgi didn't get hurt Painter doesn't see the field. I can't see them giving up a pick for Clemens but you never know. To be honest I'm fine w/ Clemens remaining our backup. If Sanchez goes down for a game or part of a game I'm confident in hiom but if he goes down for the season we'd be in trouble.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Even when we had Leon this year I don't think Schottenheimer called one screen for him. It was bizarre.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Clemens will likely have to go one way or another. I don't see us keeping 4 QBs on the roster again this year. The Colts soured on Sorgi, which is why he was kept off the field last season and allowed to leave this offseason. He also wasn't experienced in the sense of starting experience. They've been looking for a new backup with starting experience, and with Feeley, Carr, and Wallace already signed/dealt, and most others under high tenders, I expect them to start looking to trade.

5. SCOTTI627

SCOTTI627 New Member

They can't just sign him for a 2nd round pick... they have to make an offer, then the jets have the opportunity to match and if they don't then they will get a 2nd round pick... the Jets control their own destiny with Washington at this point.

Also for another team to sign him to a contract big enough for the jets not to match and then give up a 2nd round pick, they better be pretty certain that he is 100%, which is a very big gamble

6. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I can't really see any reason to keep Clemens. Any of the other 900 QBs we have on roster can hand off and dump off short passes. At least there's a small chance we can get some sort of return on him. Doubtful, but anytime Al Davis is out there, anything's possible. Maybe we can get Clemens to up his 40 time a little.

7. nyjunc

Sorgi was hurt, he wasn't kept off the field. He was out for the year on IR which was why Painter played late in the year.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

So are you. Isn't the essence of play calling the ability to put your players in scenarios which affords them opportunities for success?

But yes, Leon's success, in my opinion, is largely contingent upon the plays he is utilized in, rather than his ability to create plays (that's not to say I don't feel he is elusive, just only in the open field, i.e. why he was a great kick return man)

It seems, in this thread, a lot of posters feel the differently.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Well, think of it this way. The remaining options for getting an experienced backup QB without giving anything up are:

Rex Grossman (rumored to be headed to Seattle)
    Patrick Ramsey
    Kyle Boller
    Daunte Culpepper

Really, Culpepper's the only guy anyone else is going to want. So, you have a handful of teams 'fighting' over one guy, and then they turn to trade/RFAs. I have to think Clemens becomes an option at a late round (even 2011 late round) pick. I'm not going to be surprised when someone trades for him simply because the options are so slim.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Great, great point. We'd have one of the least expensive backfields in the NFL. I figure in less than a month, we'll have Leon locked up into reasonable contract, as negotiated by some team that didn't know any better than to spend hours in a room listening to Shitkeels' retardation.

11. ........

........ Trolls

My bad. I had bad info, but the Giants were indeed uninterested because of those lingering health issues.

12. abyzmul

I'm looking for a single source on this subject that can justify the Pats gonig after Leon with reasoning other than 'they have additional second rounders.'

Like, say, an inside source that says they are talking to his agent, or even that they have expressed a passign interest. Outside of that it's writers trying to fill space in their mostly-useless articles.

13. nyjunc

That doesn't mean anything, as fans we all have short memories. Leon was hurt and we forgot how good he really is. People also fall in love w/ draft picks for some strange reason. Leon is incredibly valuable to our team and it would be a mistake to let him go UNLESS we know he will never be the same after the injury.

14. abyzmul

I'm sick of the Jets signing ex-Pats that have nothing left in the tank.

15. abyzmul

While I love me a power running game, if we have nothing but bruisers running up the middle, our ground game is easier for opposing teams to gameplan against.

Leon's skillset is perfect to pair with a couple of power runners (I'm really starting to hope that they take Gerhart with a second day pick) and up until that worthless Tommy Kelly fell on his leg, Leon's 3rd down back skills had improved tremendously from 2008.

We're going to need an experienced back that can cut a blitzer on 3rd down and also can release to take a dump-off if Sanchez rolls into a trouble spot as he started getting into the habit of doing this season.

#515 abyzmul, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

17. abyzmul

With the zone blocks that Callahan installed in 2009, 'between the tackles' is really a relative term. Watch how they run-block, I mean break down where they are going, and you will see that what might have been an outside run in 2008 turns into the entire O-line shifting right and breaking open a hole way outside the hashmark - and it's still between the tackles.

Leon's skillset still works in this situation.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

ahhh - brings back memories of getting my bell rung in HS football.

It really could be a great combo if Leon is back to full strength. If someone tenders him to a reasonable contract we can match I'll be happy. If they offer him a bunch of shitkeels dough I won't be too disappointed to see us get something in return instead of just losing him a year later.

Tanny really did put us in a win/win situation with the 2nd round tender.

19. HOI

HOI Active Member

Just came across on PFT...

Leon has had discussions with the 49ers. PFT though...take it for what its worth.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Keels is probably telling everyone he has talked to all the teams.