The Brandon Marshall thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Since his name will constantly be brought up until Denver does something with him, here's a new Brandon Marshall thread since the last one got contaminated with a combination of stupid posts and insults.

Keep all Brandon Marshall news and talks in this thread. Unless there's something directly pertinent to the Jets acquiring him, I do not want to see another thread on him.

Now, let's look at the Pros and Cons of trading for Brandon Marshall...

Pros:
    -Jets have a late first round pick so it would cost a little bit less. Marshall probably is worth the 29th pick.
    -Jets could use another receiver, and Marshall is the best one available.
    -Imagine Marshall, Edwards, and Cotchery together.

Cons:
    -Imagine Marshall, Edwards, and Cotchery together. How the hell will any of them stay happy unless Sanchez takes huge strides forward and the offense is opened up wide.
    -Marshall wants a big contract. Edwards wants a big contract. Can't really pay both.
    -Marshall is one screw-up away from being suspended for a season.
    -Marshall is crazy.
    -The Jets would have just traded 4 players for Edwards and their first round pick for Marshall in a 5-man draft that is considered one of the best ever.
    -The 29th pick could be used to shore up the pass rush or to improve the defensive line rotation.
    -Rex Ryan believes in ground and pound. Putting so many assets at wide receiver would force the Jets to throw more, and do you really think Sanchez is ready to throw 40 times a game?

Just because Marshall is a better option than Golden Tate and Arrelious Benn doesn't mean he's a good option for the Jets.

The Jets have a really good thing going. But there are more positions on the football field than just wide receiver. The Jets need a #3 receiver who can help out on 3rd down. Sure, Marshall would do that. But so would 30 other wide receivers, and they would be much cheaper.

That's my opinion.

2. HarveyTheJetFan

HarveyTheJetFan New Member

Mentioned this in the other thread and will bring it here.

The past three seasons there has only been one receiver who has had more receptions than Marshall. Brandon is a elite talent that could be looked at as one in a million. Now that the Jets filled the void with a talented CB which was our main issue IMO. There is no cap this season, I say give up the draft pick and go for the sure thing with Marshall.

3. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I do agree with almost everything you said. Sure, Marshall would be a fantastic addition to our team, but as you said, I don't see how we could possibly keep both Edwards and Marshall long term. I know there is no cap this year, but if it comes back, we would have Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Cromartie, Edwards, Leon, and Marshall all needing new deals. Each one of these players will demand high value and there's just really no way we can afford all of them. At this time, it would seem like Edwards would be the odd man out, and considering we just gave up some draft picks for him, it wouldn't be smart to let him walk after only two seasons.

But on the other hand, if we were to get Marshall and then plug our other holes in the draft (pass rusher, OL/DL depth), the 2010 Jets would be scary on paper. We would have a very promising team for a serious Super Bowl run. However, I feel like it would hurt us in the years to come. Of course, if we win the SB, it would be all worth it, but that is by no means a guaranteed outcome.

Personally, I would like to pick up Laveranues Coles to play the slot for us and then use our draft picks to pick up BPA.

4. JetsYankeesThrylos

JetsYankeesThrylos Active Member

No way, we have Edwards, and we still need a slot receiver, getting some younger guys into our front seven is more important to me, our offense showed flashes of brilliance, everyone we have now getting better chemistry after one full year together will be an improvement in itself.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Another big receiver will make Sanchez better just that much sooner. WR is definitely on the Jets radar if you can believe anything you read. They didn't give up what they did to move up to number 5 so they could draft a QB to hand off his whole career.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

if we lose edwards then.. yeah? ..otherwise no.

Do we really need this ego maniac on the team though?

7. Santiago

Santiago New Member

With all the guys we'll have to pay, it would very likely be just for the one season.

Even if he doesn't hurt the locker room, and even if we could get him or Cotchery to accept a WR3 role, and even if he stays healthy, is one season of him better than the chance to develop a fresh young talent from the draft?

Especially with M. Douglas gone, there are some big holes in our front seven. I think we need to look at those before we do something drastic like this.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I do not want Marshall. First, he's a problem. I'll take dropsies from Edwards over a guy who can't stay out of trouble. Second, there's no spot for him unless everyone is ready to part with Cotchery. We need a slot receiver, not another #1. And I want to improve the defense in the draft. We have the potential for a completely shut-down D. Then who needs a big air attack?

9. lobacz87

lobacz87 New Member

If we got BMARSH, Braylon or Cotch would be gone next season, the dude is elite and young, hes like 25...no way they trade for him for only a year

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

We lost several games last season because our offense could not score enough point. The Atlanta game almost kept us out of the playoffs. I'm not using this argument to say that we need to trade for Marshall, but our offense could use just as much improvement as our defense.

Also, I think if we did trade for Marshall, which I don't think would be a good idea, that Marshall and Edwards would be our 1/2 and Cotchery would become our slot WR.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If there were no salary cap ever coming back I may be interested even though I see him as a very high risk. At some point we have to stop signing stars though and building up with role players and depth guys.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Dont want marshall, dont want to deal with his bullshit i rather us go after getting Boldin for Rhodes.

13. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He'd be perfect to catch the balls that bounce off Braylon's helmet.

We should just have a "hands" guy follow Braylon all over the field.

The hamburger helper guy would be perfect-

[​IMG]

I'd stick with Cotchery though.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm not sure why people want Boldin either. Cotchery is the same player, but is less bitchy. If we get Boldin we lose Cotch. I'd prefer to keep Cotchery.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if you aren't trying to get all the potential pro-bowlers available in every off season you aren't trying.

get Marshall now!

we also need to try and trade our 2011 first rounder for that Peyton Manning guy to backup Sanchez. if you are going to have a backup QB, you need one that is a HOFer.

16. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Because we need a receiver. People see big name receivers, and they immediately get hard-ons. Some make more sense than others.

Any receiver I have to trade high draft picks for, to me, is not worth it. We need a slot receiver. We can draft one late or sign someone who was released from another team.

We're talking about our 4th option in the passing game. We don't need Marshall or Boldin for that. Yeah, if we traded for one, Cotchery and Keller's roles would diminish. That's why it's stupid. Why give up valuable assets at a position that just needs depth?

The Cromartie situation is 100x different because we desperately needed a cornerback. That situation was virtually identical to the Braylon Edwards one as we had a big hole and we bought low on Braylon. We desperately needed a receiver. Now? Not nearly in the same way.

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

No i dont want marshall but why do people keep saying we need a "Slot" receiver ? we have a great slot receiver in J-Co. Really what we need is a #2 who can spread the field, Cotch can be one of the best #3's in the NFL.

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Cotchery can play the slot, but he's also fine as a possession receiver out wide. I'd love to get a quick slot receiver who makes quick cuts and gets open around the first down marker. Cotchery is good at that.

Edwards is the stretch the field guy. We have that dimension. What we need is the shifty guy who can create brief separation and get open on 3rd and medium.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Cotch has already proven to be one of the most solid and consistent wideouts in the league, and is a damn good starter. It would be an insult to one of the hardest workers and most consistent players on the team to demote him to backup for a headcase like Marshall.

20. IATA

IATA Trolls

I have a huge crush on Terrance Cody, so I'd like to see us keep our pick and grab him if possible.

Marshall would be overpriced and he would underperform. If we were 1 WR away, then sure. But we're not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.