Jets sign Nick Folk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Revis Christ! Who the fuck cares if a kicker can tackle? It doesn't fucking matter.

2. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Feely kicked a line drive on the first one and Woodhead whiffed on contain. The second one was just an epic fuckup.

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Because players never free lance?

If he was running down the field with Westhoff's instructions, then either someone else didn't stay back, or Westhoff made a huge fucking mistake and is clearly losing his mind.

That position is always on kickoff teams and that position is played by the kicker 99.99999% of the time. Someone is at fault for that decision and it's either 1. the guy who is typically there but decided to do something else, 2. the player who was told to be there instead but forgot/decided to do something else, 3. the coach who fucked up royally and should have been reprimanded for it.

Sending 11 down the field to go after a KR like Ted Ginn Jr. would have been the worst mistake you could make against a KR like Ted Ginn Jr. Come on, good soldier, try to think about it first.
    So, again, he shouldn't even be running down the field in the first place.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Pretty sure it was a LB down on the 20 who also whiffed ...Larry Izzo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94csWUxu6o[/YOUTUBE]

and this one, NO ONE gets close, just shot coverage.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnHTF_ZRGq0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Last Man....Feeley

#124 gustoonarmy, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  5. CatoTheElder

You're right, there was more than one missed tackle but Woodhead was the first one to the guy.

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, the more it seems like we may be doing this so as not to lose out completely in FA...sign who we can when we can.

7. CatoTheElder

Hell, if Feely walks, there are still young kickers out there who are going to be available after the draft. Look at the best names in the kicking game, they're all either late round draft picks or UDFAs. Kicker is not a position you need to spend a lot of money on.

That being said, there is still no indication that Feely is on his way out. All this could be is a TC player being picked up. Was anyone freaking out when the Jets were working out Travis LaBoy, thinking that it was a move to replace Pace? We signed a free agent in order to push a veteran. That's all that is evident at this point.

8. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah but that was on the second kickoff where everyone fucked up.

The first one wasn't entirely Feely's fault and he shouldn't be expected to make the saving tackle, but it was mostly his fault because it was a horrible kick.

9. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Thing is if Laboy was gonna replace anyone, it'd be Thomas not Pace. Laboy is brought here for good depth.

Signing Folk means it's either him or Feely..we won't carry 2 kickers

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Jay Feely-K- Jets Feb. 23 - 3:24 pm et

Despite the team's signing of Nick Folk, free agent Jay Feely still wants to re-sign with the Jets before the onset of free agency.

"They're being prudent," Feely said of the Folk signing, indicating that he doesn't see it as a reason to cast him aside. Considering Folk's meltdown in 2009, the Jets won't be so quick to rule out a new deal for Feely.

11. CatoTheElder

*facepalm*

We're going into TC, not the regular season. If this move happened with final cuts looming in a week, then it would mean that Feely is as good as gone. Right now, it's only leverage to push Feely in camp or at the negotiating table. Nothing is set in stone as of this moment.

Thanks for covering this one for me, Mambo. Even Feely understands this move better than half the board right now.

12. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

Honestly that's not that bad of a problem to have. I'd rather have an over-aggressive kicker that you have to coach patience and assignments to over having to try to coach fearlessness and pursuit into a kicker. I've seen too many kickers whiff at (what they think is) tackling. I know we have a good one in Feely. That's all I'm saying.

And i know a kickers job is to kick, not tackle, but as I pointed out previously, he's got similar kicking numbers to Gostkowski as well.

13. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

That I'll give you. I really wish Feely could boot the ball on kickoffs like that.

14. CatoTheElder

Which is why I like him as a kicker. I just don't like seeing players get praised for trying to do more than they should or freelancing. It's a small issue in this case but for some reason it always sticks with me.

15. MoLewisSoNasty

MoLewisSoNasty New Member

I'd much rather have Feely over Folk. Feely was reliable, and the road factor never shook him up one bit. I want a kicker that can handle the pressure and be calm in any situation. He proved he could do exactly that throughout the regular season and the playoffs. Folk has not, and memories of Doug Brien are coming back to my mind now! =(

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

This is a stupid move.
    We should have kept Feely.

17. CatoTheElder

Where did he go?

18. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

Very Stupid move.. What more can you ask for out of a PK... Very Clutch with his Kicks, Makes Tackles on the Kickoff and actually looks to make contact, and when asked to even Punted. If they let him go We will regret it.

19. 624

624 Banned

So I guess it is a good move.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jay Feely is a kicker...not a safety. Anyway, I heard J-Geeky was SLOPPY FATZ!