Jets sign Nick Folk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Feb 23, 2010.

1. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Best av you've had yet I think.

2. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Jay Feely is the man, he was HUGE for us when our punter could not go.

Many players said after that game he was finally a football player, jokingly of course.

I'm torn on this one-

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

5. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Man Feely was money and does a lot of things. Punting in the game where Weatherford couldn't go showed a lot of guts on his part.

If Folk can return to his form from 2 years ago then he is a better kicker though

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I still haven't seen a valid explanation from the team.

If the goal is to put the best players on the field, I don't understand how Folk over Feely accomplishes that -- based on their most recent performances, which is about the only gauge you can use for Kickers.

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

destroys what whole purpose? the purpose of having a kicker we know can get the job done?? i dont care if he makes the top-5 avg, we were one of the final four teams, in part, because he did his job (and then some) so well

were not going to be big spenders this year and theres no cap ... top-5 avg for one year is no biggie

8. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Explaining it probably reduces the effect of signing Folk if it was done for negotiating purposes with Feely. Most of the time, its best to keep quiet about these things. Not sure of any good that can come out of explaining it.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Jay Cutler understands why the Jets signed Nick Folk.

10. ........

........ Trolls

I don't get why people are so upset over this. It's a 1 year contract. If we sign Feely, Folk gets cut and we're on the hook for a low kicker signing bonus. If he walks, we have a decent to flashes of great kicker to replace him. The one year contract sure as hell doesn't suggest we're giving up on bringing Feely back. It's insurance.

11. CatoTheElder

This is way too logical of a post. Take your well-thought-out ideas elsewhere, you non-rabble-rouser. Good day, sir.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Doug Brien misses two FGs to put the Jets in the championship game and he is the most hated Jets player of all time. Jay Feely misses two FGs in the AFC championship and he is still a hero. Go figure..

With that said I still hope he comes back and think he will but I'm not going to get crazy if he doesn't.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I didn't lambast Brien like a lot of people did - I understood the truth of how difficult a position he was put in to make those kicks in the first place.

Feely is a difficult kicker to watch walk away, although if Folk ends up returning to form from a couple of seasons ago, happy trails, Jay. This just seems at the moment like a gamble that that the Jets didn't need to make.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

The whole purpose is that, and Im only speculating, Feely wants a big contract. Probably like a 3 year $5-6 mil contract or something and that Jets are willing to give up 3 yr $4 mil (again, pure speculation). If we are to tag him this yr, the next, and the yr after, we'll end up paying him ATLEAST $9 mil over 3 years.

If we tell him to take $2.8 mil this yr, he'll jump on it. If we offer him $2mil this yr, he'll jump on that as well. So yeah, it destroys the whole purpose. We can have him for $2 mil without using the tag...assuming that is the issue.

15. CatoTheElder

When in the f*ck has a kicker who doesn't play for the Raiders actually asked for $2.5-3mil/year. Vinatieri didn't even average that much, and he has 4 f*cking rings.

16. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

On that list I would only take Rackers above Feely. I'd view Reed and Feely as a wash.

17. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I see the Jets bringing back Feely and letting the two of them compete in training camp. You let the best man win and you trade the loser for a draft choice. As a team, we win either way.

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

That's a fair point. However, if Feely doesn't return, and we stick with Folk, I expect---no I demand some sort of explanation from the FO.

Bahaha, sshh, the banhammer will strike swiftly for that.

19. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Stephen Gostkowski??????????????

#99 Jetfanmack, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  20. Feely has been the best money kicker we've had since, #5, Pat Leahy.