The Jets are 50/50 with Bringing Back Thomas Jones

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Feb 21, 2010.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I am still not comfortable with Shonnmower's propensity for injury. A year with him being top dog and TJ backing him up would help that confidence.

It's not like there is a cap next year...pay the man (easy when its not my money). For the same reasons I said he should STFU during last offseason's whining, we should pay the dude for honoring his end of the bargain and giving it 110% all year. With our hands tied in FA, keeping the talent we have is essential to success next season.

2. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Hey Revis freak, What does " less then 2 years? " mean, 1 season, 5 games and a quarter? Man, Just get rid of TJ, give the keys to a 2nd year guy who's always hurt and hope another player who can't be a full time runner coming off a major injury is able to back him up and just for giggles draft someone to replace a RB who ran for 1500 yards. How bout keeping him and split the carries so he's fresh at the end and win a Super Bowl NOW!!!

3. DesignatedHitter52

DesignatedHitter52 New Member

I definitely keep him the one more year. Not comfortable with our limited free agency options and lack of draft picks to make up for losing TJ. Ride it out for one more year hoping he is a good soldier once more...

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the fact that guys like LT or Jamal Lewis will be available (not as UFAs but as players that got cut) will play a part in this...

I hope TJ stays one more year... it sends the message that if you work your ass you are rewarded. In many articles TJ was described as the one who tought Leon and Greene how to study tape and how to work hard to become a REAL football player... if we cut him or trade it will send the wrong message to this guy.

If keeping TJ can make Greene and Leon become better football players 2M is worth the price.

5. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I'll take TJ over LT, for both ability and leadership. Lewis is done, IMO.

Only problem I see is him wanting an extension, which would be a no-no at his age.

6. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to him signing for 2010 and 2011... but it really depends on how he'd wanted it structured.

The guy will make 5.8 mill this year... the max I'd be willing to offer him is 4 this year with 2 guaranteed and 2 next year with about a mill guaranteed... and I don't think he would accept that.

I'm taking TJ over LT and Lewis too... but in the NFL you never now... I'd actually like to bring Lewis in for a work-out. I'm sure Tanny will evaluate all the different options he has... I just hopes he makes the right choice talent-wise and doesn't play cheap-ass...

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats absurd! He just ran for 1500 yards and you are assuming he'll be demoted to a third stringer? Sure he's getting older, but until he slows down in the season, he will be the co starter along with Shonn to say the least.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If the price is right, I wouldn't mind trading him. Sure, he's valuable, but if we get something in return thats equally valuable and a few years younger, then why not? I would like to keep him too, but again, if there is an opportunity to grab a starter elsewhere on the team, I would be all for it.

9. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

Jones is still a work horse, it would hurt me to see him go and i think it would hurt the team inside the locker room as well...not that i think he would be the premire back anymore with the emergence of Shonn Greene, but he is another piece to our rb trio...with leon back this year hopefully at 100% we have our own "earth, wind, and fire"

10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Next year the Jets will run well over 400 times... again. When you run that much, you HAVE to have 3 RB's... better yet, 4 of them.

No, TJ can't carry the ball 300 times anymore, but so far, neither can Greene. I think TJ HAS to be kept. Give him the freakin money, there is no cap, and we don't have a way to replace the 150 to 200 carries he could give us this year.

We all think, and want to believe Leon will be ready, but we don't know that. TJ will be OK with fewer carries in an RBBC. Tomlinson is worn down and is no better than TJ is at this point. He would cost more though, and it would be a multi-year contract to sign him. If we don't just give TJ his 5 mil and let him finish his contract, I will be mightilly pissed off.

No way in hell I want to go into the season with Leon, Greene, Woodhead and Chauncey Washington. There is NO cap, Woody. Pay the man. Out of the fuckin PSL's.

Keep TJ, limit his carries so he isn't so worn down when the playoffs roll around. I'd like to see Greene and TJ have a 50=50 split. Let's be sure Greene can hold up first. He delivers big hits and takes big hits. TJ may not be nearly as good, but he stays healthy because he doesn't take the hits Greene does. TJ is also a team leader, maybe THE team leader.

If the Jets let him go... it's because they don't want to spend the $$$, but they want 25,000 per seat from us for the PSL's. Screw you Woody.

11. CuttingEdgeNY

CuttingEdgeNY Banned

Unless they plan on drafting another RB, they should keep him. He is the best RB on the roster and I don't want us putting out hopes up for Leon to return to full form, because I HIGHLY doubt that he does. I also don't want Greene to take all the workload so soon. I am not sure if he is able to do it just yet.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If they give up Jones this season I probably would not cry about it, even if he has an amazing year on another team. He was dead at the end of the season, he has taken a huge beating over the past 4 years, and his trade value is never going to be higher than it is now(if a trade is possible).

If the Jets do bring him back I'm going to believe it either won't be as a starter or he is going to see a severely reduced number of carries, like the type of system that the Ravens ran in Ray Rice's rookie year with a roughly 33% split between him and the other two backs.

13. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

I'd bring back TJ. We are restricted with free agents as it is you probably won't find a back as good as Jones

Besides if we got 1 more power back we could potentially have 4 running backs going at it. 2 power backs including Greene, 1 scat back in Leon and 1 all-around in TJ. Would keep everyone fresh

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I know TJ has the good numbers every year, but I feel like anyone can do that behind our top rated offensive line. Most of TJs yards come from relatively big gains because the offensive line gave him a huge hole. When the line doesn't give him a huge hole to run through, he never makes anything of it. He usually does that stupid stutter step nonsense and gets tackled at the line. He offers nothing to the table like Leon and Greene do and veteran backs like him are a dime a dozen.

15. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

I wouldn't mind keeping him as long as he sees reduced carries. Shonn Greene should be our workhorse next year, and we use TJ for 10-15 carries a game and keep him around if Greene gets hurt.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

To the people who would like to see us work out Jamal Lewis, I dont think theres a chance. As much as rex would love to see another Raven, Lewis is seriously injury ridden and im pretty hes retiring.

If we trade Jones, odds are we will draft someone in the mid rounds, or just as possible pick up LT.

LT might have played like a complete bum the last couple of years, but I doubt he ever in his career played with an offensive line like ours. could be fun to watch to say the least.

17. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

That's his running style. Its rare that TJ gets pushed backward form his first hit. He's always trying to push forward. Greene's style is different and you can't compare the two.

Agreed.

Also very true.

Teaching and Leadership can be priceless. Green & LW both look up to TJ. He needs to continue being that role model at least for 1 more season.

More great points.

I agree with the idea about letting TJ go because you want to improve the team. However, his leadership and mentoring abilities are truly stand up. If a guy like Curtis Martin endorses a team to pick up TJ as his replacement, you have to believe that TJ is really worth having.

I remember seeing threads in the beginning of the year shitting on TJ about his running style, crumpling to the turf on 1st contact, etc. That's his running style and I can't knock him for that. After watching every game this season I can barely remember when TJ was pushed backwards for a loss once he was hit. The man is a truck and he prepares his body like a fine tuned machine.

I also remember when he was drafted, everyone talking about TJ being a "young 29" y.o. RB because his first few years in the season, he was a backup. He's only been a starter for 6 years and the man has lost 13 - 13! fumbles his entire 10 year career. And really, he's only carried the ball 300 times for 5 years -> literally 300+ 3 years and near 300, twice. Lastly the man is hardly injured. Its obvious the knee injury he had when Greene was the "hot hand" was more severe than they let on.

TJ needs to stay - and I think he should be here for 2 years. He is definitely in the twighlight of his career. However, he is a great mentor, has excellent leadership skills, is strong and takes care of his body, and can be the inspiration to the next group of backs while still contributing to the Jets.

Bottom line - TJ needs to stay.

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea I have to agree with that he has been great for us and will be great for shonn. I just feel like a lot of what he was able to do this year was because of our dominant blocking game. Shonn is the kind of RB who creates his own success with his running style. Thomas needs awesome blocking to get his yards.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

For those of you who think TJ's success is just because of the o-line, don't forget he rushed for over 1000 yards with Adrian Clarke/Jacob Bender, and Anthony Clement on the o-line in '07. Neither Clarke nor Bender could even find a job as a backup in the NFL the following year.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's rare that TJ gets pushed backwards?

Dude...if he gets initial contact....he's going to the turf/grass....that's the bottom line. We've seen that all season. The only way TJ stays upright is if the oline opens up a lane for him and he goes in untouched. He doesn't fight for extra yards like the other 2 backs. Sorry to piss on your parade..but that's reality.

S.Green runs THROUGH people....ask Eric Weddle about that.

They're both HBs....how can you NOT compare the two?!