2010 Hall of Fame inductees...

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FlashGordon, Feb 6, 2010.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well. I'm glad that Cris Carter didn't get in. He's a douche.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I honestly think that he's not getting in because he is extremely unlikeable. And his years in Philly weren't that great.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

His years in Philly aren't holding him back. It could be his personality I suppsose. He should get in though.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He definitely should, but I really wonder if it was the coke, the arrogance during his playing years, and his bad analysis on ESPN that is holding him back.

5. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Regardless of those things, he was a far superior player to Art Monk, who often wasn't even the best receiver on his own team, and is in, particularly, for being a nice guy and for being above average for a very long time.

Carter has 8 consecutive seasons of 1,000 yards plus, 6 seasons where he was top 5 in receptions, and 8 where he was top 5 in receiving touchdowns.

I wouldn't say he's an easy choice, because I believe the hall is reserved for the very, very best, but his long-term consistent excellent is not something routinely matched.

-X-

6. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Floyd Little was a heckuva football player.

7. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

That's a little unfair to Monk. He was a big physical receiver that was asked to do a lot of dirty work. He often blocked and was used in a TE type role. He ended his career as the All Time leader in receptions and set the record for most consecutive games with a catch (which has now been broken). He's in the HOF because he deserves to be not because he's a nice guy.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I don't think he definitely should be in. I wasn't a fan of Monk getting in either.

There are just so many great WR and I mean great. Carter was very good and he was consistent but like Monk he wasn't the best WR on many of his teams and there are other WR not in the HOF every bit as good including the WR coach on the NY Jets.

I'm not sure I would have voted for Little although he was a really good player.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

All that can play a role maybe, but I just think he was not a good enough WR to have gotten in yet.

These are the *modern era WRs who were inducted on the first ballot-
    Lance Alworth
    Raymond Berry
    Steve Largent
    Jerry Rice
    Paul Warfield

In HOF but had to wait:
    Fred Biletnikoff
    Bob Hayes
    Elroy Hirsch
    Michael Irvin
    Charlie Joiner
    Dante Lavelli
    James Lofton
    Don Maynard
    Tommy McDonald
    Bobby Mitchell
    Art Monk
    Pete Pihos
    John Stallworth
    Lynn Swann
    Charley Taylor

*Here I am defining modern era as after 1950 (pre 1950 was single platoon football)

Carter absolutely did not belong with that first group.
    It's fair to argue if he belongs with that second group. I think he does, but I don't have a problem with him waiting a few more years. There is a logjam of other deserving players. There's a good chance Dermontti Dawson will get in next year over Willie Roaf who might have to wait one year.

#29 Cakes, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Henry Ellard has the Rec. Yards and catches, but only 65 TDs.

I don't know if he was a game changer or not, but it would be tough for him to get in.

Great player though.

11. KikkomanSauce

KikkomanSauce New Member

Rickey Jackson definitely deserved the nod - but look who's talking here. If it weren't for Lawrence Taylor, they would be talking about how RJ redefined the linebacker position. He's 2nd all time in sacks for a LB and 10th (or he was) in sacks all time. What kept him off these past year was that he never won a playoff game, and he owed more child supports in Louisiana than any other person - fun fact. Him getting in was definitely vindicating for us Saints fans. Then the day after we win the SB, great weekend.

Also, the Dome Patrol is the best LB corps of all time, no doubt.