Congratulations Jonathan Vilma

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NDmick, Feb 8, 2010.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Mangini's ability to get rid of Pro Bowl players, regardless of scheme, was reason enough for his dismissal. Nothing would please me more than to see Braylon Edwards turn his career around with the Jets, lead us to a couple of SBs and leave Fatso with more egg on his face.

2. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I, obviously, felt very good for him. Mangini fucked us on that one - PUT SQUARE PEGS IN SQUARE HOLES, you defensive "genius".

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yep, my brother and I were talking about that all game..."man-genius" my ass

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Always wanted to keep Vilma, I don't understand getting rid of great players in their prime. You don't think Rex could find a use for a player with his ability? I sure do.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I would've liked to see Vilma with Jenkins in front of him taking up blocks....instead of that failure DRob.

He might've been more productive and still be a Jet.

Oh well....can't go back....congrats to him though, on his championship run.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

He had a better 2nd half then first.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

congrats to vilma always loved him as a player.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Vilma is the man, but not a 3-4 linebacker. Him going to the Saints was perfect for him. Now he has a ring to show for it.

9. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I'm very happy for JV, and the 'nawlins fans seem to really appreciate his contributions.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I refuse to believe Vilma could not have played Outside LB for Rex Ryan on any team he coaches. Mangini is a J**kass!

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Wait a sec.... I think Mangini is taking too much blame.

The facts are:

1) Vilma was due for a pay hike
    2) Vilma was injured
    3) Vilma looked pedestrain and lost trying to play 3-4 which shocked me - i thought a player of his magnitude could get something going better than he showed.

Unfortunately, I just think the Jets (Tannenbaum and Co.) backs were up against the wall on how things turned out... Often when you come to a team and install your Scheme, there's 1 pretty good guy that gets shut out - With Parcells it was Hugh Douglass, with Mangini it was Vilma....

With Rex, he's running a defense that is the perfect transition from Mangini - Similar defense but, a lot more agressive. So, there's really no fall guy unless you count Kerry Rhodes.

12. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

he earned this. Great player, and even better person

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Did we ever determine which knee it was?

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Mangini is set to announce it in this off season.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

You mean inside LB?

People have to understand that he is a true 4-3 MLB. I love him too and wish he was here but he is what he is and he's where he belongs.

16. californiajet

californiajet Member

He was actually caught out of position on a lot of long runs in the first half but he made some big plays behind the LOS in the second half and some great key pass breakups as well. His ability to move to the ball and drop in deep coverage is ideal for a cover 2 4-3 team. I'm sure he would have been MUCH more effective in Rex's defense then Mangini's but he is maximizing his talent in NO right now and I am happy for him. He gave all he had here before Mangenius shipped him out. Nothing but good wishes for him....

17. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I have no problems with our interior defense. I love our linebackers and I definitely think the Bart Scott addition was a great one.

Vilma is a hell of a guy and a hell of a player, but I think I'd rather be playing a 3-4 scheme and I'd rather have two way linebackers. He might have been better with Jenkins in front of him, sure, but I still think he'd be somewhat of a fish out of water.

-X-

18. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Vilma would not have survived in our system. He obviously has talent but he is not built to withstand the constant collisions our LBs do in Rex's system.

Once we went to the 3-4 under Mangini, Vilma's talents would serve him better elsewhere, hence is departure.

19. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

He probably still thinks he was a bad pick.

Just to clarify I don't think he's a bad player, I just think he wasn't a stud. I think the Jets have 2 MLBs better than Vilma these days.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Captain of both defenses he's been apart of. Has made pro bowls on both teams. Super Bowl champion.

Changed the coverage to get the INT on Favre to stop the Vikes from kicking a FG.

I think he's rated exactly just where he should be - a top 5 MLB.