Peyton Manning is the best QB of the decade

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Murrell2878, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Manning and Brady are different QBs so who's better comes more down to personal taste than actual facts.

Many QBs have been known for their intangibles (leadership, hard work, etc), many for their skillset (rocket arm, accuracy, etc) and many for their deep understanding of the game (mainly though these are players that have been in the same system for years). The combination of these aspects is what makes a QB great.

The best QB, if those parameters were the ONLY parameters, in the last decade is Brady. He excels as a leader and makes everyone work harder with a team-first attitude. He knows how to use every player to his strengths. He has all the physical tools (maybe not so athletic but he doesn't need it) and has developed great touch and accuracy. He knows the system in which he plays as well as anyone. He is mentally strong and rarely screws his team by committing mistakes.
    In these things I think he even is slightly better than Manning. Don't get me wrong, Peyton too is great in all of the above aspects, but if I give Brady an A++ Payton gets an A+. For example I think his accuracy isn't as good as Brady's.

What puts Manning over the top though (in my opinion of course) is that he is an OC on the field.
    While many players EXECUTE a given game plan, Payton has such a deep understanding of the game (that means knowing your O but also knowing how Ds play) that on every snap he can TAILOR his offense to everything the opposing D has to offer. Why do you think he was able to stop our pass rush so effectively? Why do you think the Colts WRs where EXACTLY in the soft spots of our coverage? This is why the Colts O can score points against basically every D in this league... because every time they get to the line of scrimmage they can adapt to what they have against. Manning analyzes the D and, like a field general, tailors the play that was called so that someone wil be open. In doing this he is the best in the history of the game.

This way his team-mates don't have to worry about analyzing themselves what they should do... Manning does it for them... they only have to execute what he says. This clearly shows in the OL play... sure, every QB calls out some alerts to his OL, but Manning tells each and everyone of them where they'll be attacked and how they should pass protect.

For this reason, since I consider this OC on the field ability so rare and valuable, I think Manning is the best QB to ever play the game. Maybe other QBs could do what he does if given the freedom by their HC (hah, Belichick wouldn't give the freedom to decide what is best to his mom) but at the moment Manning is the only one.

Brady, Rivers, Rodgers and many others are extremely good QBs but their production is limited by how well the plays are called/designed.
    In Brady's case those two aspects where excellent and this is why NE was so successful... but it wasn't his merit (or only partially, I don't think he's involved in designing plays). If shitty WRs where put in a position to succeed it was because Weis/McDaniels or whoever else where great in identifying their strengths and designing plays that enhanced them... then they'd go to Brady and say "Hey, this kid is good at doing this, this and this... this is what he has to do in these plays... go get the ball to him". Manning interferes in that process.. and not (only) in a class-room with a blackboard, but on a field with the clock winding down!

For Manning the sky is the limit since he can modify every single play at the line of scrimmage.

PS I'll go one step further and say that the only way you have to beat Manning (which is what the Steelers did) is getting him to make the wrong adjustments... problem is the more he gets experience the less mistakes he makes!

#61 Mambo9, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I don?t disagree that there wouldn?t be a debate. But they are both on the back halves of their careers and Manning has had some much better postseason games and could win his second SB Championship. Brady has fallen off big time since his first 9 games. At this point there about even in the postseason?ESPECIALLY if Manning wins his 2nd SB.

You never lay % of the blame on Manning yet you NEVER acknowledge when his teammates around him fail. I mean you have blamed Manning for getting sacked when the back end TE completely missed his block. You?re reason for blaming Manning is because he pumped faked. AYFKM!

2006 AFC Championship Game

I point out the things you conveniently leave out.

He was NOT known as a choker until AFTER he missed that kick.

You give the facts about the Colts 2 SB runs? Well here are the facts. He beat Brady in the 2006 AFCCG and beat the team that dismantled Brady in the 2009 playoffs.

He?s already passed Brady, winning a 2nd SB will solidify it.

You keep mentioning fantasy numbers as if that?s supposed to mean something to me. Ironically you?ve used those (fantasy numbers) in support of Brady. But it?s funny because all along I thought throwing TD passes and carving up defenses was a GOOD thing. Apparently it isn?t according to you.
    It?s easy to do when you have Charlie Weis as a play caller and put those receivers in position to make plays. Troy Brown was a good receiver before Brady got there. But maybe this is proof that it wasn?t all about Brady. I mean they give him top tier receivers and they put the emphasis on the passing game and he doesn?t win a SB. Hmmm?

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Charlie Weis got the playcalling duties taken from him a half dozen times when he was working for Parcells. He became a genius when he got brady to run the offense (they won 5 games the year before, and were 0-2 with Bledsoe, at the time a Pro Bowl QB). Troy Brown was a rookie in 1993, but never had a decent year as a receiver until 2000. Brady threw for 350 yards against the Panthers, so they obviously had an emphasis on pass before they got a "great" receiver.

I couldn't care less who thinks who is better. I'll keep the QB who led my team to 3 SBs. Would Manning have taken those teams to SB wins. Maybe, in fact there is a good chance. However, I'll keep the ones I know were won.

There is no question Manning is the best right now. Careerwise, it completely depends on how you look at it. Obviously, biased posters on hear can make great cases for both QBs each way, though I don't buy the arguments that downplay or take credit away from either of their achievements.

4. Murrell2878

I don't think anyone is expecting any Pats fan to trade the QB of their SB victory teams.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if the idea that Brady is better because Manning chokes in the playoffs (as if there weren't other deficiencies around him that contributed to those losses), Manning has never had a bigger playoff choke than Brady who went into the Super Bowl with the greatest offense in history and only led them to 14 points. that's a bigger playoff egg than Manning has ever had.

of course you have to ignore all the other factors of the game, but it serves to show how ridiculous doing such is if that is the argument against Manning. sometimes the better team that wins isn't led by the better QB. that's just a fact. it happens.

6. cassie96

cassie96 Member

Awesome post!

Fran Tarkenton was talking about Peyton Manning on Sporting News today.

He said, "Peyton Manning does not have the greatest arm & he is not a great runner. Peyton talks to his coaches constantly & he practices with his receivers constantly and that is why he does so well."

P.S. Hope that I did not hack up your quote...it is a bear trying to do a long quote on an iPhone.....LOL

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We'll see what happens, there's a few more years for the 2 QBs to state their case. 5 years from now I might be saying it's peyton by a mile or I could still say it's Brady. We'll see, clearly the last 2 years it's been manning but Brady didn't play one of those years.

I always say it's not all about peyton that he deserves the bulk of the blame and Brady didn't deserve all the credit just the bulk. Brady was awful vs. Bal and he deserved the bulk of the blame but again it's never all on one player.

So in the 2006 AFC Title game he led his team 80 yds for a go ahead TD only to watch his defense blow it? You knw the point I was making, I shouldn't have to add "and the D blew it" to that point every time I make it.

I never convienently leave anything out, you make excuses.

he was known as a choker, name me the big kicks he had made in his carere to that point?

he did beat Brady in the '06 title game, he was great in that 2nd half. It is funny though that when Manning had all that incredible offensive talent he was leading his team to blowout losses against Brady and NE and when Brady had Caldwell and gaffney as his main wideouts he nearly got them to the SB.

He clearly hasn't passed Brady all time, he has passed him CURRENTLY though.

When have I used fantasy #s to support Brady?

Except those Tds and carving of the Ds don't happen often in January when it matters most. That's the point, you guys judge him on reg season peyton, I weigh his mediocre postseason career more than the great reg season #s.

yep b/c Charlie Weis has won so many SBs w/ different QBs and also was so successful w/ the 2 big time college Qbs he had w/ weak schedules at ND.

troy brown wouldn't have seent he field in Indy w/ Harrison, Wayne and company. Brown had ONE 1,000 yd season in his career and it happened in his first year w/ Brady.

he had ONE healthy year w/ Moss and Welker and he MADE a Super Bowl. How come all those years w/ those great weapons Peyton couldn't at least make a SB?

and yet w/ the game on the line he led his O 80 yds for the go ahead TD only to watch his D blow it. has peyton ever done that?

and the '05 Pitt game at home was a bigger choke than Brady and the Pats in the SB. They tried to hand him that game at home and he still couldn't take it. In the SB the Giants needed one of the biggest miracle plays in SB history to win that SB.

8. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

Being a Jet fan and living in range of D.C. television all I have to say is, "Let's go to the videotape."

9. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Fixed the title for you:

Peyton Manning is the best QB in NFL history

10. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

So what you are really saying is he could only score 7 points with that record setting offense until the late score.

11. nyjunc

Look at it this way:

In 2007 the Pats averaged 37 PPG then he led them to 14 in the SB and they lost.

In 2004 Peyton led his O to 33 PPG and then led that O to just THREE points in their playoff loss.

Both struggled a bit but one kept his team in the game and gave them the lead late, the other led his team to a FG.

12. Murrell2878

The DEFENSE kept them in the game, NOT Brady.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I was just going to say that....Giants only had 10 points until that late TD to win.

14. nyjunc

Yep b/c in 2004 their opponent scored a whopping 3 more pts than NE's opponent in 2007. :rofl:

NE only scored 13 pts heading into the 4th qtr of that 2004 playoff loss.

Keep those excuses coming guys.

15. Murrell2878

Really? I never hear you mention Marvin Harrison?s fumble, or how terrible the OL was against the Titans and Steelers and you never mention that the Pats don?t get the chance to kick the FG in SB 36 w/o the great plays made by Troy Brown and especially JR Redmond ? you just give 100% of the credit to Brady who didn?t do anything spectacular on that drive.

I?m not a mind reader. Post what you mean to say. I don?t really see the point of your argument here except that it?s nothing but an excuse for Brady. The fact is he only put up 14 points in that game.

Then why don?t you ever mention Redmond?s play on the final drive of SB 36? Or the fact that the defense was responsible for all of their 17 points prior to that drive. Or the Colts OL playing terribly against the Titans and Steelers?

That has nothing to do with whether someone is known as a choker or not. Vanderjagt was not thought of as a choker until after that kick.

This is exactly what I?m talking about when I suggest that you conveniently leave things out. You make it sound like Brady was the sole reason they had the 21-6 lead going into HT. On the first scoring drive he only threw the ball once and fumbled inside the 5 trying to hand off to Maroney and was lucky to have Logan Mankins recover it in the end zone for the score. On that drive Dillon had a big 35 yard run. On the second scoring drive they made one play in the passing game and then Manning threw a pick-6 for the other score. In the 2nd half Brady was given great field position on 4 of their 7 drives and only got 13 points. Their TD drive they started at the Indy 21.

It?s not by a wide margin, but Manning is higher on the All Time list than Brady. Manning is rightfully being talked about as the greatest to have ever played.

Did you or did you not make mention of his records?

No one is denying that he?s struggled in the post season. Brady has struggled big time since Weis left in 2004.

Brady has ZERO SB wins w/o Weis. That is a fact.

1,000 yards = fantasy numbers. Brown like K. Faulk were clutch 3rd down receivers that thrived in the underneath short passing game the Pats used.

He had TWO healthy years and NO championships. Don?t make more excuses for Brady.

16. Murrell2878

I see what you're trying to do. First you make a comment "Brady kept the Pats in the game" then when you are proven incorrect you deflect to Manning....I see....

17. Murrell2878

Another one of junc's posts where he conveniently leaves out important information. In the 2004 AFCDG against the Colts the Pats had the ball for over 21 minutes in the 2nd half on a field that was a mess.

18. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Fun fact: Peyton Manning has thrown for over 300 yards in the playoffs 7 times. That is an NFL record.

19. nyjunc

Each offense had 4 possessions(not counting NE kneeling to end the game) in the 2nd half. Wouldn't that be a feather in Brady's cap over Manning that he could keep his o on the field that long while Manning wasn't leading his O to points and was leading them to quick drives ending in punts?

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to read it on an I-phone :)