Brady NOT to have surgery but says "we're way over paid"

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Murrell2878, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Patriots QB Tom Brady says he won’t need surgery
    10 hours, 48 minutes ago

BOSTON (AP)—Tom Brady(notes) said Monday he won’t need surgery for rib and finger injuries that bothered him for much of the season.

The New England Patriots quarterback described his ailments as “just bumps and bruises” that all players deal with.

“I’m feeling good. I really am,” Brady said at a commercial appearance. “I’m excited I don’t have to have surgery this offseason. A year ago at this time, there were all these concerns about whether I was going to play this year. It’s nice to be in an offseason where I really feel I can get started right away.”

Brady missed all but the first quarter of the 2008 season with a left knee injury that required surgery during that season.

He played all 17 games this season, ending with the Patriots’ 33-14 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the first round of the playoffs. Brady was selected as an AFC backup quarterback for the Pro Bowl scheduled for Sunday in Miami but withdrew because of the injury to his finger, the Patriots said.

Brady, an assistant player representative with the team, will be entering the final year of his six-year contract next season.

“Being a player rep now, I realize all the issues we’re facing,” he said. “As a team player, I don’t sit here saying, ‘What about me? What about me?’ I’m under contract. I’m going to out there and play my butt off.”

And, he said, “we’re way overpaid.”

Brady also said “we’re a long way away” from a new collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and its players to replace the one that ends after the 2010 season, “but there’s a long way to go before the season starts.”

There would be no salary cap next season under the current agreement.

The Patriots won Super Bowls in 2002, 2004 and 2005 but have gone five straight years without an NFL championship. The Indianapolis Colts will face the New Orleans Saints in this year’s Super Bowl.

“They’ve both been the best two teams all year and they certainly deserve to be there,” Brady said.

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He's going to get a memo from the Union very soon. What a fucking company cockboy. He and Kraft are probably going to try to plant shit like this all off-season so the owners will have sympathy in justifying collusion to keep salaries low below market levels.

3. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

That is some elaborate cynicism right there.

I'm a simpler cynic- Tom Brady is going to get paid and statements like that just protect his for-the-love-of-the-game image.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'm an even simpler cynic - Tom Brady is a faggot

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I'm going to be in the city in February for a party at 1-Oak. I know Brady and Giselle are on the invite list. Maybe I'll be able to engage on the subject of Jets football and Brazilian supermodels. After a trough of booze, I can yammer on about either one forever.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Any news about Brady is exciting.

Not really.

7. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

"we're way over paid"

O.K. If he really feels this way, I nominate that he begins by taking a 50% pay cut effective immediately.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is the only sensible reaction to his comment, and every reporter should keep asking him how much of his salary he plans to give to charity. Unless it's in the millions of dollars, he should keep his ridiculous comments to himself (somehow I doubt that a lineman making the minimum feels like he's "way overpaid").

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The NFLPA just had it's first high profile double-agent NFL company man infiltrate their ranks... Brady miust be getting some nice under-the-table scratch from the Kraft Foods company for something like this.

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

He's got a warped perspective. He's one of the few NFL players whose wife could buy and sell him several times over. It's not even friggin' fair.

11. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I'd let her buy and sell me a million times over.

I'd have tapped that no matter how many months preggers she was. Brady Junior would have come out with ToonWalker mushroom-shaped bruises all over his head.

12. cassie96

cassie96 Member

Totally agree with Brady. As Brady said on "60 minutes" BEFORE he even met his wealthy wife, "why do I need more money? I'll never be able to spend all of the money that I make now." Brady's point was that he would rather leave money on the table to get other better players on the team, which means more wins.

When Brady was given a car for winning the MVP, he gave the car to his highschool. I agree with that...Brady does not need another car....why be a pig about it?

My priority is for ticket prices to go down, so that a dad can take his kids to a football game. Not for greedy NFL players to have more $$$, that they don't need.

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

His High School dosent need the car either. Private Catholic School in one of the most affluent parts of the bay area. Serra High.

14. cassie96

cassie96 Member

Oh well...I tried....LOL

15. dubagedi

dubagedi New Member

From a boston.com article:

Most people would probably agree with that sentiment though it's odd this is coming from a union rep.