I don't want to be a 1 year wonder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Jan 24, 2010.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

While winning a SB would have been great, this was not the kind of year to do it. Teams that come out of nowhere and win (like the 2000/01 Ravens), tend to return to obscurity. I want this team to be a perennial powerhouse. I want to be the 49ers of the 80s, Cowboys of the 90s, or Pats of the 2000s. We aren't that team yet. We need to win the division, get byes, and host Championship Games. We've been to the AFC Championship Game 3 times since winning the SB....in each we were the road team.

I believe with this coach and QB, we can be that team. We are headed in the right direction, we just need to put all the pieces together in the regular season to position ourselves better for the playoffs.

#1 DeathByJets, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. ........

........ Trolls

You just can't shake those traces of darksider, can you? :smile:

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

With the success the Jets achieved this year....with a rookie HC and QB.....i have no doubt that the Jets are on the cusp of being an elite team.....we're a few players away....but Sanchez gained some VALUABLE playoff experience, and he's only gonna get better. I have nothing but positive vibes coming off the 2009 season and heading into the offseason.

Can't wait to see how the offseason unfolds.....and the chemistry Sanchez builds with his weapons in his 2nd TC. :beer:

4. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

We're not a team on the way down.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the Ravens returned to obscurity....they have been competitive all decade...

I can't believe how I feel after this loss. While it obviously sucks because we were that close I honestly feel good about this team and the direction it is headed in. We have a real team and rather then fill KEY spots we need to add depth and players to fit the specific scheme...

We are only going to be stronger next year and I'm excited already

6. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Oh come on. I'm all about making myself feel better,but...

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

You don't think the Giants need some retooling?

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Sanchez looks like he's going to be one awesome QB. The defense will always be tough to beat. They'll contend for years.

9. TurkJetFan

I give that guy until the Giants sign a big name FA to be a Giants "fan"

10. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Obscurity may be too strong, but they are the are usually second fiddle to the Steelers in the North. Taking the hard road to the Championship usually doesn't work out. While they have been competitive, they've never been the top dog.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Make no mistake, the Jets are here to stay. This team has been lacking consistency for the longest time. We are starting something great here with a great core of young players and coaches.

12. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I'm not a Giants fan.

13. TurkJetFan

this is true...

they also have been only getting older defensively and haven't had a legit QB until Flacco...

they missed the boat while the defense was on the top of its game by not providing an offensive attack...

the Jets have that in place. The YOUNG franchise QB, good young RB, young to prime receivers, young TE, to go along with a relatively young defense. The youth are in core positions. That is the difference....at least to me.

They also won a Superbowl :) and appear to me to be back on track to return shortly...I think next year the Ravens are going to be a top team in the AFC

14. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Oh come on now, you'd rather win the SB. Let's not pretend winning the SB is ever a bad thing. It's over now, at least the Vikings didn't make it. I hate Favre.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the team overall is young at skill positions - QB, RB ( LW/SG), WR, LB, CB

All their guys are signed.

Jenkins and Leon are back next year.

They need a true pass rushing DE and another CB, but this team should contend. This isn't 99 with a 35 year old QB or the injury prone Pennington. I hope 2010 is the year we can finally pull off back to back playoff appearances and mot pull a 4-12 season.

16. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I hope we stay healthy and get some improvements on the D.

17. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

While we had a great run towards the end of this year I cant help but feel like complete shit after losing today. It was like a harsh snap back to what being a Jet fan always was for me: all this hope coming crashing down. I cant see us having trouble for the years to come but at the same time I feel nervous that we'll always be a contender who cant get the job done, like we'll never get that SB trophy.

18. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

My inclination is to be very positive about the future of this team. My only concern is that I agree with you that we may be just a couple of players away (pass rusher, 2nd CB) and with the rule about not being allowed to sign free agents this offseason (unless we lose ones of comparable value), I'm really concerned we just won't be able to make any progress this offseason. Am I being overly pessimistic, or is the best we could hope for from this offseason to keep our team intact (and maybe get a draft pick to contribute as a rookie - difficult when you have the 29th pick)?

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

dude there are always teams out there that come close to the super bowl and never go back again.

We are young and we came close this year, but unlike most teams we have a strong foundation to continue our success

20. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I just hope that Sanchez career will not be like Dan Marinos career.