Report: Jets will give Edwards 1st and 3rd RFA Tender

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyThaJet, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Agreed:up: With a full off-season for training on his flaws Edward's numbers will rise and drastically improve the Jets Offensive game.

2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

This will be a good move. Cotchery, Edwards, and Keller make up a good group of receivers for Sanchez to develop with. The offense could be a real strength next year depending on how much better Sanchez gets.

3. JohnnyThaJet

I think that and some added O-line depth maybe even a new right tackle could really solidify our offense overall for next season

4. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

its hard to be a good receiver with a struggling qb and limited pass plays. With an improved sanchez and Braylon continuing to learn a schotty offense (which is probably complicated as fuck) he will be better.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Seriously? Woody has been solid all year. O-Line depth? Yes. New right tackle? Not so much.

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

After the way Ryan talked him up it was obvious he wasn't going anywhere. Still the drops are painful. Especially when we need points bad.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

So what are they going to do with the other 4 pieces?

[​IMG]

8. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Braylon is still a freak- he makes some catches that only a handful of WR can make. To be fair, he drops passes that only a handful of WR drop. For his homerun ability and his ability to make the spectacular play, I absolutely want to keep him.

Boldin is constantly injured and Marshall is a moron. Edwards has been a consummate professional and is giving 110% on the field. His presence has allowed Cotch to thrive. We still need a solid slot receiver but I'll go to war with Braylon and Cotch for the next several years.

9. JohnnyThaJet

Im taking about as a backup/future starter. Woody is 33. Will be making 14.93mil the next 3 years and is only getting older. Dont get me wrong i LOVE Woody and what hes done on the line but we need fresh guys for the future and for Sanchez.

10. perfectpackage99

important to have a player love where he is, especially a disfunctional dude like Braylon,

11. JohnnyThaJet

:rofl::rofl::rofl: hahahaa

12. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable New Member

Not saying he's not good, but he had 4 drops in comparison to 35 catches...It's a problem he can fix, but it's still something that needs to be addressed.

edit: To put that in perspective, Brandon Marshall had 7 dropped passes with 101 catches.

#32 Theo Huxtable, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  13. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

I'm on board with this. He's a hell of a blocker to boot. The man has been nothing but a class act since he has got here and has done whatever has been asked of him.

14. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

He better not drop any passes this Sunday because everything single play counts when you are playing with colts. DO NOT DROP ANY PASSES!

15. freebo

freebo New Member

If Braylon can get past the dropsies then he is going to be a great pickup for you guys. I like how he and Sanchez hit it off on the first day. You have something special to build on there.

16. wildaces

wildaces Banned

This was inevitable, and have posted such before. If we get lucky enough for someone to pick him up, who do we replace him with? I mean in the draft.

I am not saying that I don't want him here, but with a first round pick we could pick up a WR who can catch, and also block. Maybe not.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

How much of that is the Edwards effect or is the reality that the Jet zone run blocking schemes started to work? Seems to me the Jets run the ball just as well when Edwards isn't on the field.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They can only tender him if the salary cap expires and they can retain his rights for 6 years. If they have a new CBA then Braylon becomes a free agent and the Jets would have to franchise him. Same with Leon

#38 hazmat, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  19. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Another thing: it's not the quantity of drops; it's the quality.

I really think it was more than four (I guess it depends on what constitutes a "drop") but of the four I can recall immediately off the top of my head, three were touchdowns. Two were easy touchdowns. That matters.

With that said, I'm very happy he's going to be a Jet next year. One of the best blockers in the league, excellent route runner, extremely fast, quick, tall, tough to tackle, extremely grateful to be a Jet, leaves his ego at home, stays healthy, studies and practices hard, clean off-the-field... if we're ever able to add "decent hands" to that list, it would be a description of the most complete wide receiver in the league.

Boldin needs a new body, Marshall needs a new personality. I'll take the guy who just needs some LASIK, stick-um and adderall.

20. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im curious how using a 1st and 3rd tender will effect retaining neon leon next year?