The gameplan against Rivers and the Chargers Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hazmat, Jan 12, 2010.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I'm having a tough time figuring out your logic. The Chargers are 20th in the NFL against the
    run allowing 4.5 YD per carry, while the Jets average 4.5 per carry. That is not a good match
    up for the Chargers. I expect a low scoring game if Ryan keeps with his game plan. If SD is
    not successful in stopping the run, I doubt them getting many plays.

2. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

I just checked, the Jets pass defense was number 1 in the league by over 30 YPG. We must have faith.

3. B1nary Bolt Fan

B1nary Bolt Fan New Member

Here's a little to chew on regarding the Chargers run D...

Recent Chargers efforts against top rushing teams:

week 13 - vs Cleveland's #8 rushing attack (130.4 yards average) - they got 115 yards or 15.4 LESS than their average.

week 14 - vs Dallas' #7 rushing attack (131.4 yards average) - they got 108 yards or 23.4 LESS than their average.

week 15 - vs Cinncinati's #9 rushing attack (128.5 yards average) - they got 114 yards or 14.5 LESS than their average.

week 16 - vs Tennesee's #2 rushing attack (162 yards average)
    (by the 4th quarter, the result of the game was no longer in doubt. They were focused on giving Chris Johnson the chance to go for the rushing record and to go over 2000 yds for the season - they really had nothing else to play for)
    - under those circumstances they only got 182 yards or 20 MORE than their average. And got pummeled.

Lest you need to remind me about your #1 defense, look above at Dallas and remind yourselves that they are #2 defense, have a better offense and still lost to the Chargers...

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ok so the jets average 171/game.if the chargers man up and slow us down at the same clip we go for 150yds.i'd say thats enough to keep us in the game

5. 624

624 Banned

Doesn't your team play in the AFC West?

Jamarcus Russell and Matt Cassell....dangerous teams.

6. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Jets 24
    Chargers 23

Feely nails a 46 yarder as time expires to seal it.

7. GeorgeBaha

GeorgeBaha New Member

This is actually pretty funny. one thing you forgot to mention was you lost that game to the Ravens. So obviously it worked.

It does not matter if Rivers can throw the ball from point A to Point B. The problem he has with hard hitting blitzing D's is crossing the ball past point C.

You need to check history. Rivers is not good against Such D's as Ravens, Steelers and now the Jets have that hard hitting in your face D.
    Once you actually review the history of Rivers playing such teams I think you are going to become terrified of this game coming Sunday.

As I said. Who cares if Rivers throws for 500 yeards, 600 yeards etc.. Means nothing if he is not getting 6 points at the end of those drives. Ravens stopped him from doing so. Remember Ray Ray slamming Sproles to the ground on that last play???

Even going back to the game you mentioned (which you did lose by the way. Just had to mention that one more time) The Ravens secondary was horrible as well. jets Secondary is tough.

This game will come down to one thing and one thing only. Sanchez. This game will come down to the type of game Sanchez has. If Sanchez is hitting and not turning the ball over Chargers will lose. If Sanchez has one of those off games Chargers will win. But believe me Rivers will not walk all over the Jets D. He will fight for every point in this game and many he will miss.

8. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

The fact that these teams got that many yards while losing should tell you everything. Most teams don't run when they're behind, they run a lot more when they're ahead. All of these teams had their averages padded in games that they won. So if you're ahead in these games and you still give up that many yards, this should tell you that you have a pretty poor run D. Let's put it this way, in the games that the Jets won, they gave up like 38 yards, 45 yards, 76 yards running. That's what a good run D looks like. Giving up 100+ yards running in a winning effort isn't anything to be proud of.

That said, the SD passing offense is good. They'll score their share (I say 2 TD's), but Rivers is also susceptible to throwing some INTs. The Jets can win if they score 20 since they can run the clock down.

9. sdbound

sdbound New Member

I believe that this year Rivers against the blitz had 13 tds/3 ints with a qb rating of 104.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt New Member

Not a very good argument imo.

Stats dont tell everthing though. 53 of the Bengals yards can on two plays. An end around by Chad for 26 tds and a 27 yd run by Larry Johnson. Neither scored so asside from that, we shut their run game down.

'We were kicking the Titans ass and they couldnt pass the ball so they were runnnig to get CJ his yards. The Titans only had 89 yards passing and Young was 8 for 21 with two INT's. We had the ball for 39 minutes that game.

Dallas got 108 on 27 carries...not a great game but not bad either.

Cribbs did most the damage when we played the Browns. He got 38 yards on 4 carries from the wildcat with a long of 30. Harrison got 35 in 10 carries and theior longest run after Cribbs 30 was 9 yards.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm still pissed that the Bengals scored 14 on us last week.
    We have to play better this Sunday...and we have to shut Rivers down.

The Chargers rank-
    31st in rushing.
    5th in passing.
    10th in total offense.
    11th in pass defense.
    20th in rush defense.
    16th in total defense.

The Jets rank-
    1st in rushing.
    31st in passing.
    20th in total offense.
    1st in pass defense.
    8th in rush defense.
    1st in total defense.

12. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

The Answer Is Obvious ...

We've waited long enough fellas ... it's time to unleash "The Ghost"!

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Seriously...if Gholston had a good game...he played more snaps than usual (>0) last week...then we would win. That'd mean we were getting to Rivers as a unit.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

GOD NO! If Gholston is on the field, that means Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas or someone else who can actually play isn't. We don't need that.

15. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I agree with this, but I think they should blitz a little less because of the screen risk. But when they blitz, they need to make it count. I still worry about the other non-Revis-covered receivers. Not sure what they do about that other than hope that Lito and company cover well. If they don't, this game could get out of hand quickly.

16. TD_Sandy_Eggo

TD_Sandy_Eggo New Member

While we are talking running game comparisons, don't forget Ladainian Tomlinson's money runs. He's 5th in the league in rushing TD's with 12, or exactly the same amount of TD passes thrown by Sanchez.

While this may seem an obscure stat comparison, it actually speaks volumes to the subtle balance between our obvious passing and not-so-obvious run games. Yards are great between the 20's, but SD has been particularly efficient in the red-zone, and extremely deadly in the ultra-red (inside the 10) zone.

The bottom line: Both teams will probably give up yards between the 20's to a high degree, and the punting games may be muted. SD will take a shorter time to traverse the yards, but the real key is in who will break through for the TD more times.

17. uknowmysteelo

uknowmysteelo New Member

If you are judging by average per rushing attempt the which I think is more indicative to how well a team is in running the ball the Jets are tied for 5th with the Saints at 4.5 yards. Tennessee is #1 at 5.2 and Dallas is tied for #2 at 4.8. The Chargers beat both of those teams in December so good luck with that strategy.

The Jets are also ranked 23rd in time of possession so I'm not sure trying to keep the ball away from Rivers is a viable strategy either.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I'd like to just focus on the Bengals game here, partly since the Jets just played them. Dallas also had its December game issues, even if they seem to have overcome that.

But on the Bengals game, your point leaves out that they did rush for a 5.4 ypa. Why didn't they run more, for the larger overall rushing yardage you refer to? I think there were several factors.

After Johnson's long run from Cincy's 29, it looked like they had a real shot to score with less than two minutes in the half, so they didn't run it again on that drive. That was their playcalling - I understand it, but it did only lead to a FG.

It seemed like at critical times the Bengals were forced into long yardage situations, by penalties (they had 55 yards of penalties) and two fumbles that were recovered, but still led to losses. The last of course was Caldwell's, I would say the key play of the game that put Cincy in a second and 36. Palmer was able to get them into FG range to tie it up, but they were in a much better position to go for the TD, and the win, before Caldwell's fumble.

The earlier fumble put Cincy in a second and 21. They ran on second and didn't get anywhere - no surprise they did not run it on third and long.

Palmer passed on first down I think about 15 times. Wow. Some of that was because of penalties putting them back, others it was during the two minute drill above and their last drive, with time remaining but perhaps not to their minds that much, which began on Cincy's 5 yard line. One of Palmer's first down passes btw was intercepted.

Another time Palmer had a first and 25 due to penalties. So, him passing there meant the SD run D had shut down their run? Heh.

Point being you will not see the Jets pass 15 times on first down.

More generally the game circumstances did NOT show that Cincy ran for as "little" as it did because the SD run D shut them down. Not at all.

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Banned

Can someone please tell me the following because my time is valuable and sure would appreciate some perspective here:

How many passing yards did Peyton Manning have (in 2.5 qtrs) vs. the Jets defense?

What was Joseph Addai's yards per carry vs. the Jets defense before he was pulled from the game?

How many points did the Jets rushing offense produce before the Colts chose to pull their starters?

How many yards rushing did the Saints rack up vs. the Jets rushing defense? In particular, Pierre Thomas?

How many yards rushing did the Jets offense produce vs. the Saints?

Since the playoffs are essentially a "new season" where we can throw out all regular season stats, can someone please tell me where the Jets rank currently in terms of 2009/10 post-season rushing defense?

I view the Saints & Colts as having very similar styles, philosophies, talent, etc. as the Chargers. So I am just curious as to how they performed (with their starters) vs. the Jets.

I'll be back later to check in.

thxkbye

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

^ what do you think this is, the help desk?

Do your own research.