Let's bury the 2009 SOJ next week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I said IF they get into the playoffs, which would mean they win this week.

I just find it interesting that a team can go .500 at home and still make the playoffs. Most guys would say the goal is to go .500 on the road and then win 5-7 games at home.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

SOJ will live on until the Jets win a Super Bowl. If the Jets even get to the Super Bowl and they lose on some garbage play, the SOJ will still be said. There's only one way.

3. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

While I am usually an optimist, I expect nothing less than to have my heart ripped out and stomped on. I thought the last loss to Atlanta would be the last nail this season, but the Jets, being the Jets, have somehow found one more opportunity to destroy my will to live, and I cannot see them passing that opportunity up.

That said, if they do win, then I will consider this an extremely nice season, despite the downs we suffered though. Rookie HC and QB, and making the playoffs? Not too shabby if they can pull it off.

4. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

You might need to create some extra space in your graveyard, just in case.

If the Jets lose, its going to be a memorable loss- they won't lose because the Bengals will outplay them. There will be some horrendous play that will cause them to lose. SOJ is like your stalker, always lurking in the background just waiting for an opportunity. He's a persistent SOB.

That being said, the Jets have actually had pretty good end of season luck recently. From Miami losing to New England in 2002 to the Pittsburgh C team beating the Bills in 2004, fate has actually been pretty kind to us in Week 17. Afterward, all bets are off. To think the Jets would even be in this position is another example of this recent luck. Let's hope they can seal the deal.

#44 Gubernaculum, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  5. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Lets winnnn

6. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

"Even the losers get lucky sometime" - Tom Petty

Figured it might help for some optimism.

7. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Why did I stumble into this thread?

All my optimism has now been crushed. I close my eyes and see a halfback pass from Leon Johnson getting intercepted. I close them again and see a 10-0 halftime lead get blown at Mile High. I stagger and try to swat away the memories of the 00 chokejob, or losing at home to a 3 win Buffalo team when we could have won the division in 01 only to get round housed by an errant Doug Brien kick. As I'm on the ground trying to collect my bearings, I'm repeatedly kicked in the balls by last years collapse.

Man...rooting for this team is such a bitch eh?

AH FUCK IT!!! BY 5:30 ILL BE FREEZING MY ASS OFF IN THE PARKING LOT. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!!

8. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

You are better off. Optimism is SOJ's best friend. It feeds on our hopes and dreams and turns them into nightmares. I believe SOJ will one day be gone for good (and maybe even with this coach/QB), but it won't leave quietly.

9. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Dude!!! That is some of the funniest stuff I've ever read on these boards! Classic!! Thanks.

The way I see it boys, we have never had a more fortunate day than we did this Sunday. (did you read that??? I just included the Jets and good fortune which means in this instance LUCK in the same sentence...) Rex's running game and defense will destroy the SOJ sooner than we think. Getting into the playoffs this time will mark the beginning of the end of SOJ. I believe Mark Sanchez will play above his head and we will make a run. The next few seasons look pretty promising once we iron out a few little things. This is the beginning of something special boyz'n'girlz. Try to enjoy every minute of it.

10. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Hahaha! I respect your p.o.v. but you are a piece of work bro! lol

11. HOI

HOI Active Member

Death...having read your posts for a while we are on the same wavelength in regards to the SOJ. As soon as they beat the Colts I sent my father a text message that read "So...how do we fucking blow this game next week?" Still today I cant help but trying to temper my excitment cause I feel SOJ peaking its head around the corner.

But all horrible streaks/trends are eventually broken. Shit...who thought the Red Sox were gonna come back and kick the living shit out of the Yankees a few years back? So I agree...with this being the last game in Giants Stadium lets lay the SOJ to rest. Lets leave those three letters in that stadium to be torn down and crumble to the ground.

I dont think we'll do much in the playoffs but after this years ups and downs just to make it and give a big FUCK YOU to all the haters would be a beautiful thing. And even if we're one and out...so be it. It would be great experience for Sanchez and Ryan and put this team on the right path for the future. And hey...once you make the playoffs...who knows? No. 1 D, No. 1 rushing?? Stranger things have happened.

If we beat Cinncy this week and then go to their place for wildcard weekend...I don't hate our chances.

But...one thing at a time. Lets get a W Sunday.

12. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

This upcoming Sunday's game is the perfect SOJ game that occurred during the Coslet regime when we played in the last game of the year in Houston when the Titans were the Oilers & they were already set up for the POs & we came on the field & promptly got waxed by a team that was playing for nothing.

The scenario for Sunday's game is exactly the same except this time it is at home instead of the Astrodome in Houston

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

There were plenty of people that thought that 'SOJ' went out the door when the Jets beat the recent SB champion New England Patriots, then Favre and the Packers to get into the playoffs in 2002, and then crushed the Colts and Peyton Manning in the playoffs.

Then they got schooled by the Raiders and the magic went away quickly for a lot of people. There are people that romanticize that 'SOJ' bullshit to the point that the only thing that the SOJ will get buried is with a Super Bowl, and maybe not even then.

Beating the Bengals' backup team won't exorcise any demons if the Jets get hammered in thw wildcard.

#53 abyzmul, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

We've talked about this many times in the past. There is only one way for me now to bury the SOJ, and that's with a Superbowl win. NOTHING ELSE buries the SOJ until that happens.

15. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Great post.

Though, after personally watching the Bills, Dolphins, Jaguars, and (most recently the) Falcons shatter my dreams, and nearly bring me to tears (thanks Buffalo), I don't think I have the emotional stamina to potentially watch the Jets lose themselves out of the playoffs yet again.

Oh, that and I'm broke from paying $90 - $120 per ticket for 5 games this season. But it sure does put a smile on my face to see a fans like you. :)

P.S. I'm secretly scoping out StubHub tickets as I type this. :p

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Winning a Super Bowl will do it. That's kind of the definition of you've beat back your old demons and exorcised them. The Patriots went from a downtrodden franchise with occasional flashes to a great dynasty on one play in the snow against the Raiders.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If we're talking one play that set up that dynasty, that has to be when Mo Lewis took out Drew Bledsoe near the sideline on Sept. 23, 2001, forcing the Patriots to insert untested second-year backup (and 6th round pick) Tom Brady. The rest has been history.

18. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

I remember the SOJ being gone by beating New England last year on Thursday night in New England. That was before the Favre collapse. I want the W as much as the rest of you guys but like many said the SOJ will always be around until we start playing like a real team and win a SB.

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Trent Dilfer on ESPN said "these are the games that the Jets lose." So there you have it, he believes in SOJ. Then again, Trent Dilfer only had two good seasons in his entire career. What does he know?

20. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

It's not just Dilfer. Schefter repeatedly brings it up in his latest mailbag. I like the fact that these two at least know the Jets are a solid football team but the SOJ specter is lurking unlike some no named jerkoff named Greg Easterbrook who in the middle of his tuesday morning quarterback article wrote, "the jets are a terrible team" before going off opining on how houston miami and pittsburgh must feel because of the Colts lay-down. What a shitbag. Actually I'm so angry that this idiots article even made espn.com...here's the quote.

???
    Oh and here's the link if anyone wants to sit through this insufferable bullshit. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091229&sportCat=nfl