rex lobbying for revis to be dpoy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kenny, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Kenny

Kenny New Member

Rex Ryan hit the campaign trail with a new slogan: Vote Revis '09.

The New York Jets coach lobbied hard Thursday for cornerback Darrelle Revis to win the NFL's Defensive Player of the year award during his daily news conference, glowing about his dominant season.

"I went back and looked and I was going to be subtle about this, but if he's not the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, something is wrong with the system," Ryan said. "Nobody, and I mean nobody, in maybe the history of the game has had the challenges that he's faced week in and week out."

Revis, who has six interceptions and an NFL-leading 30 passes defensed in his third season, has routinely shut down opposing teams' top receivers such as New England's Randy Moss, Buffalo's Terrell Owens, Carolina's Steve Smith and Houston's Andre Johnson.

"Look at the fact that he's out there on an island one-on-one and teams still can't throw that way," Ryan said. "If they do, it's a mistake. It's amazing. He deserves it, and he's on the No. 1 defense in the league."

Green Bay's Charles Woodson, New Orleans' Darren Sharper and Denver's Elvis Dumervil are thought to be among Revis' main competition for the honor, which is awarded by The Associated Press and selected by a nationwide media panel. Only four cornerbacks have won it since 1973, and none since San Francisco's Deion Sanders in 1994.

Ryan was reminded that Woodson, in particular, is also having an exceptional year with eight interceptions and two sacks.

"Yes, but Charles can't go out on a corner like this guy can," he said. "He can move inside and he can blitz. Revis would be a great blitzer, but I've got the best cover guy in America sitting over here, so he's going to be covering. He's not blitzing."

Ryan coached Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in Baltimore when they won the award.

"Of course, those guys deserve those awards, but I don't think those guys even had the impact that Darrelle Revis has had on this football team," Ryan said. "I think that's why, I'll get off my soapbox, he's earned that award. It's not right on my part to stand up here and not maybe try to sell that to the public. He's earned this."

When Ryan took over as coach in January, he called Revis the best cornerback in the league. Revis has certainly lived up to the hype, holding Moss to nine catches for 58 yards and a touchdown in two games, Owens to six receptions for 44 yards and no scores in two games, and Smith to one pass for 5 yards. Johnson, among the league leaders with 81 receptions, had just four for 35 yards against Revis in Week 1.

"I guess he can get beat, but I'll take my chances," Ryan said. "If there's one guy that I want to cover somebody, with my paycheck on it, I want it to be Darrelle Revis. Period."

2. 624

624 Banned

I think if we make the playoffs he will win it, if not then he has a 20% chance.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

amen rex amen

4. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Praise be to Revis!

5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Geez I read the title real quick and thought Rex wanted Revis to be in Snow White.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think it is very safe to say from Rex's endorsement that as long as Rex is here, Revis will probably play out his career with the NYJ. His (Revis's) play is the type of play that wins SBs.

7. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

I agree.. even though that is such bullshit.. Sharper is prob going to get it cause of how good there record is, and the fact he is on the verge of breaking the record for the most int return yards in a season.. but I'd love to see Revis take it..

8. 624

624 Banned

I'm so glad I got this guys jersey after his rookie year.

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Wrong guy.

[​IMG]

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It's fuckin true. Revis' season has been unreal.

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Honestly, if we make the playoffs I think we can make a nice little run cus of this guy. He takes away the opposing team's best receiving option, and if we can contain the run eventually QBs are gonna have to force balls in his direction. A QB can only ignore his best receiving option for so long.

That is some unreal praise, I kno Ryan is known to exaggerate a bit about our guys, but when has a NYJ ever been spoken about this way?

12. Cotch Grab

Cotch Grab New Member

Sharper's not going to get it. He got abused last week vs. Atlanta and that was Chris Redman and Michael Jenkins.

Revis is the best defensive player this year. i hope he gets it.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL I meant a certain one of the dwarfs.............

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No doubt he deserves it. Sadly it doesn't always work out the way it should.
    It would be great to finally see a Jets player get recognized for something without the police being involved.

15. e-x

e-x New Member

based on how guys talk about him every week, i think he'll get it

you can tell when someone is flying under the radar and it'll be a long shot, revis is not under the radar

16. 624

624 Banned

I just think that the stupid voters won't give it to him over older players just because he will have "other chances to win it."

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

i almost dont want him to win it because it could light a fire under him to keep pushing himself to get better. I dont want him to be satisfied, luckily he doesnt seem like the person who will ever be satisfied but having a personal goal always helps.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

That's the last thing in the world that I would worry about Revis. Shit, I'd worry more about him being a terrorist than I would about him ever becoming complacent

19. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

that would be pretty rhodesian

20. Revis Isle

Revis Isle New Member

Revis, Revis, Revis.........