Despite rumors prior to the draft...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Spike_D, May 8, 2006.

1. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

Despite rumors prior to the draft that the Jets loved Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler, we hear that New York was not excited enough about any of the top three quarterbacks to pay the price required for a trade, and they believed that upgrading an offensive line in desperate need of help was a far bigger priority. As a result, the Jets took OLT D?Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold with their first-round picks before selecting Oregon QB Kellen Clemens in the second round. New York believes he has the arm strength, accuracy and talent to be a solid starter in the NFL. However, don?t expect to see Clemens in 2006 unless injuries decimate the Jets? QB corps for a second straight season. Word is Clemens? rookie year will be spent on the sideline, adjusting to the pro game and learning behind Chad Pennington and Patrick Ramsey. In fact, we hear that fellow rookie Brad Smith, a quarterback at Missouri who is being converted to wide receiver, could get more snaps under center than Clemens this season in a slash-type role. As for Pennington, he?s expected to participate at the Jets? passing camp at the end of May, but there is no update on how his injured throwing arm is progressing.

2. l3ol3o

l3ol3o New Member

What do they mean by slash-type role?

3. The Book 24

The Book 24 Banned

I'm sorry but if Smith gets more snaps there's something wrong. We had a perfect 1st round. We're still rebuilding and we got to start from the inside out.

4. vilma baby

vilma baby New Member

they are talking about more snaps as in trick plays and things like that, not more snaps as in a real QB. I only wanna see KC in mop up duty maybe, i think a QB sittin for a year or 2 is a very good thing.

5. greasyt

greasyt Member

by slash-type role they mean how pittsburgh used kordell in '95....as a receiver, qb and any other way they can think of getting him the ball

6. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

No there isn't.

They are saying Clemens will get 0 snaps except maybe garbage time.

Smith, on the other hand will get more "option" type plays under center, etc etc. Kind of like trick plays.

7. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

It means QB/RB/WR etc.

8. Welcome to J-Ville

Welcome to J-Ville New Member

I actually like the idea of Clemens sitting for a year or 2 to adjust and also am kind of excited to see what Brad Smith can bring to the table in terms of being our "Do-It-All" weapon.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't mind Clemmens being groomed. I want to see him play, since I don't have the confidence in Penny coming back, and Ramsey is probably not the answer, but if they can carry the load for a year or two, and Clemmens can learn, then we can be set up for long term success.

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I really like PFW - I wish we had something similar in the UK - but this is laughable writing. Everybody who saw the draft could work out that the Jets weren't excited enough about Cutler or Leinart to draft them, and that they saw the O-line as more important. It was kind of hinted at when the Jets didn't draft Leinart or Cutler and instead drafted two O-linemen.

I didn't need inside informers to bring that to my attention...

11. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Smith will be similar to Kordell's role. They actually nicknamed him slash..

12. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I think the article is suggesting he may get ~4-5 snaps in 2006 in a slash role vs. 0 for Clemens as a traditional drop-back quarterback.