9 Games into the season I am sure about 2 Things

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 624, Nov 15, 2009.

1. 624

624 Banned

9 games and 5 losses into the season I can still strongly say I am so glad that we have Mark Sanchez and Rex Ryan. As this team grows over the next couple of years and Sanchez gains experience I look forward to watching them hopefully take care of business when they should and be an elite team.

Sanchez and Rex this season have been rookies, they've shown flashes of brilliance and at times you wonder what the hell they are doing.

The same old Jets would not have a decent record of 4-5 with a ROOKIE at QB and HC, the two most vital and important positions in this league.

Just give this team some time and enjoy watching Sanchez's progression the rest of this season.

2. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I agree. I'm very confident about future seasons of this team.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As long as they have a winning season before Dec. 21st, 2012......

4. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

I believe the Coaching Staff at the begining of the season felt like the running game was strong enough to carry Sanchez as a rookie to at least a mediocre level and that the defense was strong enough to carry a mediocre offense. They underestimated the damage a rookie quarterback can do when he is playing behind the speed of the game.

In hindsight, a slightly less than mediocre quarterback would probably have this team at 7-2. Doesn't matter, few games are played in hindsight and this one definitely isn't.

We are left to hope that this season, ultimately dedicated to the development of our quarterback, has been sacrificed for the greater good of many strong future seasons. As disappointed as I am now, I do believe this is a strong possibility and I am very hopeful.

5. Don G

Don G New Member

I completely agree. I'll be completely honest...I'm happy as hell to be a Jets fan. I went into this season expecting nothing because of the rookie qb and coach. That was fine and understood but both have proven that they are learning and are only going to get better. We have such a young team and we've done such an excellent job of maintaining the salary cap that we've essentially guaranteed, barring injury, that we are going to be a contender year in and year out for the forseeable future.

6. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

GREAT POST, and I AGREE 100%. I told my wife if I wasnt married to her I'd be marrying Rex Ryan.

I have faith in Rex, Mark, and Tanny.

We need time, no one comes in as a rookie coach and rookie QB and wins right away, we are on the right track, we just need time.

7. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Yea, and I dont think you have to look that far down the road either. Sanchez is maturing pretty damn quickly, and Rex seems to be getting over his limitless faith in his defense, as witnessed by his attempt to give the ball back to his offense at the end of the game today. I do hope to see some real improvement on this defense before the end of the season though, Ryan's Baltimore defenses generated turnovers much more consistently than this group has. If they can show us something down the stretch, and then add in Kris Jenkins, Leon Washington, and hopefully another successful draft class, I'll be feeling pretty good about next year.

Not that the playoffs are out of the question by any means. If you can hang around .500, a late season run can put you in the playoffs with a full head of steam. Better than starting out hot and limping in, which you can bet at least one or two teams will do.

Interestingly enough I think Braylon Edwards said it best today. You get the sense that theres an attitude on this team that if they just show up and be who they are, wins will come. Wins never just come, you have to outfight the other team, no matter what else you've got on your resume. Rex has to find a way to beat that into this team, and especially this defense, because I really don't know where some of their confidence comes from. Statistically they've been good, but they've folded in crunch time pretty consistently.

#7 discostu570, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Are you kidding me? We lost to the Jaguars this is the SOJ! We're gonna go 0-16 for 6 straight years!

On a more serious note, perhaps the worst thing that could have happened to us as a collective fan base was that 3-0 start against 2 pretty good teams and a team that we thought was gonna get it together eventually (and they have but they buried themselves too early). I thought this was gonna be an 8-8 year but after 3-0, the sky was the limit. A 6-8 win season would not be horrible if the defense can continue to play well and Sanchez continues to show flashes of brilliance (aside from two disastrous games he's played relatively well....he bounced back extremely well today esp. in the fourth quarter). I just want there to be something to build on for future seasons and if we end up with a top 15 pick this season it would probably help us out in the long run

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm sick of hearing about the idea that we should be "lucky" to be where we are considering we have a rookie HC and rookie QB. There are loads of talent on this team, so that excuse isn't cutting it anymore. If you didn't watch any of the actual games I'd let it slide, but you saw us shoot ourselves in the foot so many times.

10. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

That's the day the Jets will clinch a bye in the postseason and...pooff...no more Earth! :)

(On the other hand, I'll probably be condemned to watch today's Jets vs. the Jags over and over for all eternity! If that ain't hell, I don't know what is.)

11. 624

624 Banned

The Bills game?

12. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

hell is watching an endless stream of jets players diving at the feet of Ted Ginn as he shuffles and hops side to side on his way to a goal line across the known universe

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Watching either of those games over and over again and having your memory wiped out after each game so you legitimately think the Jets will pull out the victory

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I know we have a great future in store for us an im excited about that, but I wish this team would live up to its potential this year as well. No reason we cant be well above .500
    however well have to be patient. Itll be worth it.

15. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I feel good about the QB and the coaching situation.

Not sure how I feel about the OC.

I am disappointed that I now feel we need like 3 more dynamic defensive players.

Where the hell is Westerman????

16. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

The 3-0 start did entice me into thinking this team could make the playoffs. In the preseason, before game 1, when Sanchez was named the starter, I was thinking about a 6 win season.

The defense has taken some stutter steps, and the lack of turnovers is surprising, but what scares me is Sanchez. He keeps repeating the same mistakes. I am looking for progress, and I don't see it. We are absolutely F'd if Sanchez doesn't develop into an NFL QB. There is NOTHING more that I would like to see than to see Sanchez show improvement, I just don't see it yet.

One thing I will say is that he seems to be more aware of ball security now, thankfully. This is a lost season because we have a rookie QB that had little college experience. I hope and pray next year is not a lost season for the same reason. NFL QB's have to do more than "play well enough", they have to win games once in a while too.

Being a Jets fan for 45 years takes a toll. I'll always be a Jets fan, but my patience grows short. I don't want to wait 4 years for Sanchez to develop. He plays behind one of the best O lines we ever had, and a VERY good ground game. He has 2 very good WR's and a good albeit young TE.

Josh Freeman and Henne have looked better with much less talent to work with. This kid has to put down the hot dog, stop crying on the sidelines and start looking at coverages when he sits on the sidelines. Talk to the recievers and coaches on the sidelines. SHOW me something. Please.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Henne hasn't looked much better than Sanchez, if at all, and he's not a rookie. Plus he has two excellent RBs, both of whom are better than TJ. Henne's been asked to do less and he's done less (ranked 30th in passing). And Freeman has played all of 2 games. Sanchez played great in his first 2 games too and against tougher defenses.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

you've gone from a quality poster to an over obsessed Sanchez hater.

get a grip man.

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Actually.... and I don't even like admitting this... the shit I have gotten from you and a few others has actually influenced me in a negative way regarding Sanchez.

You are an over obsessed Sanchez lover. Any objective (but even slightly negative) comments on the kid you take personally and usually respond with personal comments... uncomplimentary ones to be sure. This kid is far from being any sort of lock as a franchise QB. I hope he is the answer. I am a Jets fan first and foremost.

That being said... yes, I do think an average NFL QB would have this team at 6-3 at the worst. That includes Clemens.

And yes, right now, I think Henne and Freeman have been better than Sanchez. I know Henne is not a rook, TYVM. Sanchez could have used a year or a half season at least with a clipboard. But hey, he's better than J Russel.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think the future is bright for the NYJ. People will always bitch when we lose, but you'd have to be an idiot not to expect growing pains to happen this season.