Saints had the defensive blueprint against the dolphins...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets_fan_in_fishtown, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

for the most of the game, minus those couple of huge runs. they did well even in the first half bc they started with shit field position most of the time due to the turnovers.

they filled those gaps..stopped the wildcat on 1st down and got to henne. i saw a good bit of 3rd and longs. the pressure was there consistently and they swarmed the ball carrier. they also got to the outside QUICK as hell. i was impressed by the tackling and speed of their secondary for the most part. that offensive line looked nothing like the one we faced that seemed so dominant

we need to have that type of execution and instinct for the ball in order to beat them. VERY impressive by the saints because the dolphins are built to play from ahead and milk the clock.

chad henne looked shook at the end. i think the home crowd will be a huge factor and hopefully causes a few DOGs

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The Jets were attacking the ball like crazy yesterday and they should do the same against the Phins.

Our D simply did not show up last time, this game will be much different.

For the most part yesterday the ball carrier was constantly swarmed and had Jets all around him.

If we do that against the Phins and force Henne to throw it we will come out victorious.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the Jets admitted they didn't maintain their gap assignments and it burned them.

Henne has done this twice - throw game sealing pick 6's when throwing the out route... I think he learned it from his mentor.

The Saints defense is better than the jets defense, so they did have an easier time. But their secondary remains horrid. I hope Cotch comes back. 3 WRs who can do damage will create a Saints-like problem for the Fins... and the Jets just found their running game.

I expect a low scoring affair and a one possession game again.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The Saints did a fantastic job of shutting down the run in the second half. They did it by sticking to their gap assignments. On one play, I saw one of their corners sell out to take away the outside. They got blown up by a Miami blocker but it still forced the runner to cut inside where Vilma made the tackle.

As far as Henne imploding at the end, I didn't really see it that way. First Camarillo made that bonehead forward pass that set them back. Then at least 2 guys (Ginn and Williams I think) dropped easy passes. Then came the pick 6 and yes, Henne forced that throw. The earlier pick 6 was not a bad pass. The Miami WR (Ginn again) alligator-armed it.

#4 sackexchange, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

interesting stat....

they ran the wildcat 14 times.
    total yardage. 30 yards

amazing job of neutralizing it. we need to do the same!!

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

If we can do that, and win the turnover battle, the game is ours

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The last Phins game was the only time the Jets D took a read and react approach. They need to attack like they do every other week and if it means giving up the big play here and there so be it - we need to take it to them all game long and force them to beat us.

8. rillo

rillo New Member

I watched the game, the Phins running game was killing the Saints. For some reason, in the second half the Phins decided to stop running the ball and put the ball in Henne hands. I wouldn't say the Saints shut down their running game.

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

The one thing I recall in the Jets/Fins game was the play action fake on the very first play with the Wild Cat formation which went for , I think, a 20 yard completion. That call shook them up a bit which probably set the strategy for a 'read/react' approach. It seems as though they let the Dolphins dictate and play into their hands. Jets D must be able to dictate the game and stick to the plan of playing aggressively in order to come out on top.

10. electrolyte

electrolyte Member

The dolphins scored 34 points though.

More than they scored on Rex Ryan's scheme on monday night football...

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

a lot of turnovers by the Saints caused the 3 point difference.

12. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

If the Jets can get Henne off his game, we should be able to stop the Dolphins. It wasn't just the wildcat that killed us, Henne had an amazing game.

13. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

he didnt have an amazing game he had a couple short passes that went for big yardage. He really only made a couple good throws. That being said i agree we have to allow him nothing and get him shaking every time he goes for a pass.

14. zor

zor New Member

How on god's earth did you guys give up Vilma???? This guy is a fucking beast!

it hurt to watch my fins go down but anyone who saw the fins in the first half have to be thinking to themselves that this miami team is turning out to be a scary team. they're looking better on both sides of the ball... i actually feel henne played a great game......a ton of the incompletes were receivers fault including one of the interceptions. the running game is still solid....saints did an incredible job stacking the line and covering both sides of teh field.

i'm really looking forward to the jets-dolphins game.......

if miami wins this game it will cement the suspicion i have that miami is a force to be reckoned with. i consider the jets a really good team and sanchez is on his way to becoming a qb stud. afc east is looking alive again.

i am sure glad jenkins and washington are out though.

15. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

Mangini felt he didn't fit his system. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't fit Mangini's system, you're not gonna be allowed on his team. (sigh)

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If u can do that, it can go a long way for you!

17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The Saints had no blueprint for the Wildcat. The Dolphins just stopped running the ball in the second half especially in the 4th. The first 2 drives in the 4th when they had the lead and was down by one score respectively, they threw the ball on every play and had 2 consequetive three and outs. Once the Saints made it a 2 score game, they totally abandoned the run. The only chance they had to beat the Saints was to play keep away. They had the lead All they had to do was run, run, run to shortened the game and leave with a win. Instead they when away from what they are and what was working. I don't foresee Miami making that mistake against us.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

In your experience, what happens after a girl rejects you?

19. vxvenom

vxvenom Active Member

lucky for us that includes braylon edwards

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Vilma's a great player. I still think Harris is better. But, I do think Vilma is better than Bart Scott. If we had Harris and Vilma...wow...