Why did we pass on Jean-Gilles?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, May 4, 2006.

1. MANGINI RULES!

MANGINI RULES! New Member

Gilles will be to busy eating Philly cheese steaks at halftime of the eagles home games....

2. MANGINI RULES!

MANGINI RULES! New Member

Gilles will be to busy eating Philly cheese steaks at half time of Eagles home games.... I just hope they have enough of them for the fans....

3. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Shawn Andrews is a nice player, but when it comes down to it, he's the perfect illustration of why you do not take fat lineman. The guy is going to be an overpaid guard for the length of his Eagles contract. Some might argue that he's only playing there because they have two great existing talents on the outside, but the Eagles wouldn't have drafted Winston Justice if they thought Andrews capable enough to make the move to tackle.

They're paying first round money to a guy who was projected as the second best offensive tackle in his class and is currently an interior lineman. Before Denny Green stepped in with his take no prisoners approach, Arizona was doing the same with Leonard Davis, and last season, Buffalo did the same with Mike Williams, who, because of his oversized-underworking ways was tossed aside like so much trash, as was his new Jacksonville teammate, monster sized Stockar McDougle. Fonoti, the guard from Nebraska, is another great example of an oversized waste. Aaron Gibson? The list goes on and on.

-X-

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Gilles should have been pick 97, no question about it.

#24 James Hasty, May 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  5. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Could be the Mike Williams effect. That kid was supposed to be great, and the Bills took him at 4 overall. The wieght issues did him in. At first, I thought this "choir boys only" thing was being taken too far, but, and I think it was Biggs who mentioned this..... they want to change the culture of the team FIRST. Once they do that, then they could more afford to take players who might have some issues, like Gilles. Peer pressure from other players, in an established team first culture can have a big impact on "problem" players.... eg: Cory Dillon at NE. Sorry for the Pats reference, but it holds water.

6. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Guard is one of the few areas I felt were strengths before the draft. Kendall and Moore are a good tandem and we had so many other issues that drafting a guard in the third might not have been a good idea. It might have been better than Schlegel...but that's another story...

7. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I just think he didn't fit the style of lineman that we're going to build on.

8. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Moore is probably fine at RG. We can draft someone next year if we need to, guards aren't that hard to come by. The bigger problem is RT...are we plugging Jones in that spot? I'm not too keen on the right side of the line right now, but maybe they can get better.

9. boosnell

boosnell New Member

Well I can tell you this about MJG. I have watched him play for 4 years and he is one of the best OL I have seen in all my years watching UGA football. He has been the heart and soul of the OL for the last 2 years and mauls guys on the DL. Yes his weight has been a concern at times but if he can keep it somewhat under control he will be a steal for the Eagles in the 4th!

10. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

thats what they are doing....Winston, Andrews and Gilles.....sounds like a pretty good start to rebuilding the line to me. In terms of value they had a monster draft...also with Bunkley....going to be a battle in the trenches in Philly

11. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Starting 3 rookies on the line would be suicide

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He really doesn't need to lose weight. I wonder if anyone making assumptions that's he's slow and not strong because of his bench reps, have actually ever seen him play. He absolutely mauls people, and god help a linebacker if they have to match up against him. He was by far the best guard prospect in my book, whether scout's like him or not. For parts of the Suger Bowl, he took over the game and flat out dominated West Virginia's fast defense. Yes.. A Guard!

I couldn't agree more, Koz.

13. Jetphan73

Jetphan73 Active Member

Mangold will beat out tiny Kendall at LG next year and Teague starts at center. Jets don't want rookie making line calls and Kendall is too small to have effective run game with. Jets draft LG next year and mangold goes to center for 15 years but glad they passed on this tub o' lard.

14. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

first round pick fat dudes with attitude problems are simply fat dudes...that's why.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Where was he rated high? On a bunch of inconsequential mock drafts? If he had been rated high on teams' value boards, he would have been drafted much earlier. Especially with all of the hype he got. Teams want to excite their fans as well as fill a need.

16. Atlanta Jet

Atlanta Jet New Member

UNDRAFTED!!!!!!! Thats right I forgot we won the last three Superbowls. No offense bud, but the JETS are the worst team in the NFL....we should kill for a guy with his talent......& believe me he has it!!

17. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

The reason he wasn't drafted by the Jets' was because the Jets' messed up. They plain F*K'd up. Jets' are desperate for a power /mauling guard. This was the pick that would have truly given the Jets' a draft grade of 'A'.

Jets' are still weak at the guard position & that is very bad. Gilles is a house.

Brick & Gilles on the left side. PLayoffs & 1st downs....Here we go...:martin: :martin:

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^That sounds more like Mojo Jojo than winstonbiggs. The voice and the syntax, I can hear it perfectly. Picture it, if you will...

[​IMG]
    There ya go. :lol:

#38 jetophile, May 5, 2006
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

there is a reason giles fell to the 4th rd.. if the guy was as great as some of make him out to be he would of been off the board in the 2nd rd. the guy is fat and slow this isnt a good combination for our oline.look at dallas and patriots oline how many big fat nasty guys do they have at oline? hell larry allen has been on parcells shit list since day 1.(and he was a perrenial pro bowler). some of you guys need to stop talking about what YOU think we need. and let the FO build the team the way they have plan too. these guys have blueprint on how they want there team to turn out. that was evident from there draft.

20. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I would much rather use my 3rd round pick on i guy projected in the 1st or 2nd round but dropped over a guy who was projected in the 6th or 7th round especially if the guy who dropped filled a need