When is the last time Kerry Rhodes made a big play?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TheGatoradeBoy, Oct 20, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think they are anywhere near where they need to be on defense mentally, and it's a testament to how effective Rex and Pettine's schemes are. Many times over the course of the first 4 games, the defense was still struggling to communicate the assignments to each other at the snap and still were able to get coverage where it needed to be and apply good pressure to shut down the opposing offense.

I think the sky is the limit with this defense, even without Jenkins.

2. Tight

Tight Active Member

no shed say. pee pee and hemi

3. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Wow, that's just all three flavors of wrong.

Kerry does an excellent job at the line of scrimmage on running plays. Controls his gap well.

He does a sufficient job in coverage. As a former quarterback, he has a good feel for where a play is going to go and gets a solid break on the ball.

He's been exposed against TE's lately. He doesn't have the physicality to break up a pass to a tight end. I've seen some plays in the last couple of weeks where he had position, but simply was overpowered by a tight end.

He has mediocre recovery speed, at best. Because he's unwilling to lay out to break up a pass, he often gets to a play too late to make an impact.

He's lousy when it comes to open field tackles. He is totally unwilling to sacrifice his body to make the big play. I've seen him duck some good hard-shot opportunities and he avoids the gang tackle like Gholston.

I strongly believe that Rhodes is our second best safety. Leonhard is just too versatile, and he's a solid tackler.

I've been thinking a lot lately about Eric Berry. While I believe line depth is an overwhelming priority, I just don't believe Rex Ryan could pass up on a once in a decade talent like Berry. If we were in a position to draft him (and God, I hope we won't be) I'd be completely sold on taking Berry and shipping Kerry for a high second round pick.

Kerry just doesn't have an excuse for not making plays, for not making A play in this offense. He got paid and he got comfortable.

4. MondayNightMiracles

We should do a jets look a like thread at the beginning of the season.

5. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

So... Kerry Rhodes and elite speed don't belong in the same sentence, nor does Hemi and short cock? I smell FAIL, Tight.

6. Tight

Tight Active Member

O shit your right..lmao.. u got me

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Rhodes is definitely overrated. I don't know what exactly caused him to regress, but he's in a scheme that allows him to freelance and he's still not making an impact. He isn't a liability, but it's a far cry from what he was from 04-06.

8. joesanerd

joesanerd New Member

LOL Best post in this thread... He looks like his head was photo shopped on to that picture.

9. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan New Member

He almost saved the game for the Jets against Miami with that tackle on the goalline on the second to last play. That was a huge play.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Does anyone have a pic of that hit where he took out 2 Raiders??

I can't find one anywhere.....