A different aspect of our draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by johnnysd, May 3, 2006.

1. kingdavid88

kingdavid88 New Member

granted the jets didnt have a flashy draft...they had a football player draft. no one is denying lienart's credentails but whats the difference when the guy wont have two seconds to make a descion. we draft the two best offesensive linemen in the draft. all the could of should of talk should end because you dont know what the other teams would have done. they later draft a qb they probabley feel can challenge penny and ramsey and maybee eventually overtake them. also they add solid character guys and guys that will add to the program

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I'm with you for the most part but I think that it will take much longer than 4 weeks and the D-line is very important. The D-Line are the base for this type of d. The offense has to worry about them or the rest of the d doesn't work. Take Seymore (sp) even if he is not making the play the O has two players assigned to him every play. Freeing up a linebacker to chase the play down or applying pressure to the QB. D -rob will have to be that player because we did not get that type of player in this draft.

IMO for this type of d to gel I would guess it will take 12-14 weeks. So we will be halfway through this year before we can start to say the coaching is working.

What the FO did most in the draft to help the d was to draft o-linemen to help keep the d off the field.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Nice post. I agree 100% that Herm and co would have caved in to public opinion and took the sexy picks. Mangini and co definately look like they know what it takes to build a winning program.

4. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

I agree that a talented D-line definitely helps. But the whole reason Seymour gets switched to DE is precisely because his talent gets wasted at tackle. In a 3-4 scheme, the NT ends up being blocked by two guys most of the time no matter who's there. The key is that the NT doesn't get blown off the line but stands his ground so that the runner doesn't get 3 yards for free on runs up the middle. Can D-Rob do that? I hope so. But it does take discipline to not get tricked on trap plays and runs up the middle to leave the runner a hole and that's really the kind of d-lineman we need. Do we need 12-14 weeks to do that? To get it good, probably. But I hope we can get something down after 6 weeks of training camp and 4 weeks of the regular season. Enough to give us a decent chance to win.

The real gelling comes in when we're talking about common play recognition, a trust among the defenders as to what ground they're covering and so forth. And while that's hard to get, Mangini's done it in NE many times, especially with the DB's. But of course, it requires very smart players that understand what's going to happen if they come off their assignment. Otherwise, players get undisciplined and allow a big run up the middle or a short slant to go for a touchdown.

Of course, I expect Mangini to change the defensive scheme quite a bit during the season, so I'm not sure how that'll factor into all this. But given the way we've drafted, I'm guessing that the defensive scheme will mostly have dynamic linebackers, a static, workmanlike line and DB's that contain and play for 3rd and long. We have smart linebackers and a great DB coach and a line that doesn't have as much of a burden. Hopefully that means we can gel faster than normal.

5. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Time to bring Klecko to TC and show these guys what it takes to play NT.

6. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I think he's going to play some full back as well as tight end. He is going to add a dimension of run blocking that we haven't seen in a while. I bet you that there'll come a December game where he'll lead our HB through the hole for a game clinching first down or even TD and you'll be glad we picked him up.

7. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

I just dont understand how anyone and I mean ANYONE can knock our draft or FO. They had an outstanding draft, mind you they dont have the sexy names but who cares WE ALL WANT THAT ONE BIG SEXY NAME. That name is called SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS and these Three guys Johnson, Tanny and Mangini are the guys to lead us. We need to give Johnson credit for his vision to bring these two guy as our FO staff.

8. akibud

akibud Active Member

I think that when mangini looked at his offensive team, even though he's a defensive coach, he could not help but face the fact that his offense SUCKED BAD!!!!! and needed a overdue infusion of talent. He may have also thought that he could do a lot more with the defensive talent he had so he upgraded the offense this time round.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Maybe the front office realizes (like everyone else other than Herm and Boobway) that Jolley can't block. With Becht and Kareem on the right side in 04 Martin averaged 4.6. With Jolley and Jones/Fabini there he averaged 3.3. Other factors were involved, sure, but Doug Jolley couldn't block a high school LB, and Tangini is not going to play the guys Bradway drafted/traded for if they stink.

10. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

First yes-this was a very good draft for the Jets-but to say Mangini is open minded because he focused on offense rather than defense is insane-we had the second to worst offense and the worst time of possesion yet we were still the 11th best defense in the NFL. A retard would have known to focus on offense more than defense

11. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Man, why do you have to keep bashing Herm? :grin:

j/k (couldn't resist)