Some random thoughts about the Miami game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Oct 13, 2009.

1. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

It all comes down to playing the best high school defense against this high school "wildcat" offense. Your best four burly, tackling linemen up front, your four best burly, tackling linebackers, and your best three dbacks, including your best tackling dback.

2. Ted

Ted Member

So now you are saying the Jets defense can't stop a high school offense? The sooner you accept the WC is here to stay until teams figure out how to stop it the better off you'll be.

3. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

You can bet that Ryan is already well into foguring that one out. Remember, the Run 'N Shoot was unstoppable at one point as well. Rex Ryan will figure this out by the next meeting.

Kudo's on the win, though. What a great win for your ball club. Just don't expect it again this year :mad:

4. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

Exactly, when teams shut this down which will be this year it will be phased out. Hence the need to call it a gimmick. Done.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

The best thing that could have happen prior to facing the Dolphins for the 2nd time, is watching Belichick and the Patriots play them and seeing the kind of packages/schemes/defensive gap assignments he sets up on the field.

I think Belichick will find a way to slow it down, and Rex Ryan will continue to build on it. It'll be interesting to see how the Patriots do against them.

6. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan New Member

Miami plays the Jets again before playing New England.

7. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan New Member

The Dolphins have been running the wildcat for over a year now. It's not a gimmick it's just a running formation. You can't just figure out how to stop it every time just like you can't stop a run from an I formation everytime.

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Ur right. I forgot you were on a Bye. I thought u played the Pats, then NO, then the Jets. Oh well. Rex is supposed to be this great defensive mind, we'll see what the guy is made of now.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Wildcat, when played as the Fins played it on Monday night - as an all-in option with 8 or 9 big bodies on the field and 2 backs, is a real offensive tool at this point. It's not clear to me how you shut that down. It also is somewhat limited in what it can do but it will eat the clock which is what the Fins want to do with it.

We'll see how things go in the next matchup but I'm not optimistic that there is a silver bullet available to slay it. The Fins have been running the offense longer than anybody else in the NFL at the moment, they should be ahead of the curve on it and at least on Monday night they were.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Belichick will probably be using film from our week 8 game to figure out how to stop it.

11. abyzmul

The Jets actually used some single wing stuff in Brad Smith's rookie year, just not nearly as effective. Fact is, with the personnel they have, that's more of a reason to why they are successful with it than the amount of time they have been running it. Dan Henning is a smart dude. He knew the strengths of his roster and found a formation to exploit them.

12. Totodestroyer

Totodestroyer New Member

so wait... the mastermind behind stopping the wildcat last year was not able to stop it on monday and now you have to rely on Bellicheat to stop it. How convenient. What makes you guys think he will be able to stop it if our guys stay healthy?

13. abyzmul

The Jets won't completely stop it, but they will limit it's effectiveness knowing the expanded playbook instead of seeing film on just 8 plays per game like they had this year with Miami's current personnel. The key to the game in week 8 won't be completely stopping the WC. It will be limiting their offensive effectiveness while completely exploiting such a terrible Dolphins defense.

And let's not talk about health. We'll talk about it once the Jets aren't starting their #4 CB and putting their #5 CB in the slot.

14. Totodestroyer

Totodestroyer New Member

i WILL talk about health because without our main guys up front you can see what happens. Last year our backup guards got thrown around like ragdolls. How do you think Jake long got a sprained ankle? Our own guard was thrown into his leg, and in game 1 against you guys last year Donald Thomas broke his leg thanks to another backup guard who fell on it. Thank god we sent them packing to the chiefs.

15. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

That's not what I meant. I'm confident Rex Ryan will find a way to limit the WC effectiveness. It would be interesting to see what a defensive 'mastermind' like Belichick does to limit it as well. I'm sure teams will look to him and any other team who shows they can contain it and apply those same schemes with their personnel and/or help build on it.

Remember last year when you guys broke it out. It was effective. As the year progressed, teams learned how to defend it. Adding new wrinkles to it has made it successful again, however, if you ask me, it's all about matching the right personnel. By Week 10 or so, you'll be more dependent on Henne. Hope he's able to get it done.

16. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Well, the Jets aren't exactly the only team who has had a problem stopping it, are they now....and not meaning any disrespect at all...but it IS a high school offensive set. Its essentially a single wing. Every school that plays a Wing-T or a Deleware Wing-T uses it, and there are a lot of those, at least in the NE.

Now, having said that, the level of execution certainly gets taken to new heights , and Miami has obviously inserted personnel that are ideally suited to the package (i.e..big, fast backs, outstanding offensive line, duel purpose personnel ala Pat White) but in an X's and Os sense, it is a single wing offensive package.

This has always been an effective offensive package at lower levels of competitive football, it really isn't all that suprising that someone has figured out how to use it effectively in the pros. Kudos to Henning.

Next time, we'll have a better plan Ted........:grin:

17. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

He's gonna need more film than that....we didn't execute for shit.....it wasn't the scheme that lost that game.

18. abyzmul

Yes, and without our 2nd and 3rd cornerbacks, Henne isn't taking advantage our secondary against Lowery and Coleman on Monday night to convert key 3rd downs. If you want to use that pussy injury excuse for your playoff embarrassment, we can use it for Monday night. Works both ways, man.

#78 abyzmul, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  19. abyzmul

He's going to get it in week 8. We play the Phins twice before the Pats play them the first time.

20. keypusher

keypusher Member

I agree with this. Our defense isn't terrible overall, but it's terrible against the pass. I think Vontae Davis and Sean Smith have talent, but they aren't there yet.

I don't agree that there is much to the Wildcat that the Jets hadn't already seen before the game. I checked and found out that the Phins used the Wildcat as follows this year:

5 times 14 yards losing to Atlanta.

12 times 107 yards (8.9 per play) losing to the Colts

7 times 42 yards losing to the Chargers.

9 times 58 yards beating the bills.

Against the Jets, I've read in various places that the Dolphins ran it 13, 16 and 19 times. I think 19 times is correct. They were not as successful per play as they were against the Colts and the Bills, though. I think they averaged a little less than seven per play against the Jets, about the same as against the Chargers.

The Dolphins are running the same base play this year as last year: Williams goes in motion to the right, Brown has the option of handing it to him, taking it off right tackle, or cutting back to the left. That's where they are having success. (The pass from Brown to Fasano is from last year too.) They've tried some new things with Pat White, but they haven't really worked, except for the QB draw against the Jets. But that's a normal shotgun play; you don't need the Wildcat for that. They've also put Williams at tailback running a more or less standard single wing. But that hasn't worked well either.

Even when you look just at the running game, there is a tendency to overemphasize the role of the Wildcat. The Dolphins had 58 Wildcat yards against the Bills but 250 yards rushing overall. They had 107 Wildcat yards against the Colts but 239 yards rushing overall.

Against the Jets the Dolphins had 151 yards on the ground, which is good but hardly spectacular. Brown had 21 carries for 74 yards, not exactly Pro Bowl numbers. If you had told me just those statistics I would have predicted an easy Jet win, because I thought we had to run for 200+ yards to beat the Jets. But Henne's performance was unexpected.

To the extent the Wildcat does make the difference, it has not been very effective in Miami's two road games. We'll see if that changes on 11/1.